Archbishop Antony of L.A. on Archbishop St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2002
      There has been some discussion about the attitude of Archbishop Antony of
      Los Angeles to the Glorification of St. John.

      It is best to read the actual words of Archbishop Antony, in an offical
      signed document that was presented to the Sobor of Bishops that took place
      in Lesna Convent, in France, where expressed his opposition to the
      glorification of Archbishop John (Maximovich).

      In accordance with the Statutes of the Church Abroad, Archbishop Antony of
      L.A. submitted to the Sobor his own written formal dissent--his "Separate
      Opinion" detailing the reasons for his opposition.

      "Separate Opinion

      On the Question of the Canonization of the Most Reverend Archbishop John of
      Shanghai

      To the Hierarchical Sobor of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
      Lesna Convent. France.

      The performance of miracles, according to the word of Lord Jesus Christ, is
      not always an indication of Sainthood (Matt. 7:-21-23) *)

      [The asterisk refers to a footnote at the bottom of the page, where
      Archbishop Antony gives the full citation from the Gospel]:

      *) 21. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the
      kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

      22. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in
      thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many
      wonderful works?

      23. And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye
      that work iniquity

      ==========================

      "With deep sadness I witness, that during the last period of his life in
      San Francisco, the Most Reverend Archbishop John openly demonstrated signs
      of intolerance and unlove with reagrds to parishioners, without explaining
      the reasons. . .

      "The saddest thing is not this, since there were saints who were known for
      their sinful fallings.

      "What is tragic is that there no evidence that prior to his departing this
      earth to the judgement of God he had asked forgiveness and had reconciled
      himself with those he had offended. It was namely about this circumstance
      that Lord Jesus Christ speaks, explaining why miracles sometimes bring
      people no benefit.

      I"t is necessary to pray and to believe that, for his miracles and good
      works, the Lord has accepted the soul of Archbishop John into the heavenly
      realms, but it is difficult to accept the notion that Sainthood is
      compatible with the absence of love.

      . . .

      +Archbishop Antony
      of Los Angeles

      Lesna Convent, April 25/ May 7, 1993"

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

      P.S. Archbishop Antony of Los Angeles also frequently expressed his strong
      opposition to the Anathema againts Ecumenism of 1983--he never allowed it
      to be proclaimed on the Sunday of Orthodoxy in our Cathedral and thought
      that it was a serious mistake that the Church Abroad would come to regret.