RE: [orthodox-synod] Article in Moscow Times: Bells Ring In Spiritual Rebirth

  • Olhovsky, Sergey
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
      The bells, the largest cast in Russia in 200 years,
      were completed at the ZiL plant earlier this year.

      How ironic when you consider that "ZiL" stands for
      Zavod Imeni Lenina . . . (The Lenin Factory)
    • Kiril Bart
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
        I think it's "deducated" to Lihacheff, whoever he is,
        most likely another monster from soviet era.
        Subdeacon Kirill

        --- "Olhovsky, Sergey" <solhovsky@...> wrote:
        > The bells, the largest cast in Russia in 200 years,
        > were completed at the ZiL plant earlier this year.
        >
        > How ironic when you consider that "ZiL" stands for
        > Zavod Imeni Lenina . . . (The Lenin Factory)

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • vkozyreff
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
          About Russian bells.

          Tradition has it that each chime of the bell sends the inscribed
          message forth to the heavens. No two exactly the same.

          The Russian company ZIL began operation in 1916 as AMO building its
          first basic automobiles on concepts that were still very close to the
          old carriages. The factory was given a complete facelift and renamed
          ZAVOD IMJENI STALINA (ZIS) in 1931. Subsequently this was changed to
          ZIL. ZAVOD IMJENI LIKHACHEVA after the name of the Director of the
          plant.

          The first small series of cars was produced in 1933 using the Buick
          5650 straight 8 engine. The ZIS101 came out in 1936 with a
          streamlined aerodynamic body following the current trend in the US.
          The 101 represented a turnabout in Russian automobile technology with
          the introduction of windscreen demisters, a synchromesh gearbox and
          even a thermostat dual effect dampers and the twin body carburettor.
          The ZIS101 remained in production until 1940 when the 101/a was
          brought out with a modified front end in 1946, ZIS/ZIL went into
          operation again introducing a new flagship onto the market which was
          a virtual copy of the Packard 180. It had a 6 litre 140hp engine and
          weighed 2.5 tons and was 6 metres long. It was used as an official
          saloon, a taxi and even an ambulance and remained in production until
          1958 when a 6 litre 200hp V8 ZIL3 came out introducing the 3 speed
          automatic gearbox. The 114 of 1967 had a longer wheelbase and body
          and was fitted with a bigger 7 litre light alloy engine instead of
          cast iron. Disc Brakes and electronic ignition were introduced on the
          114 as well as the first central door locking system. The 117 short
          wheel base saloon, 3.30 metres long, came out in 1972 and was also
          available as a soft top (117v). In 1978 came the 4104 limousine with
          a 7.7 litre V8 engine.

          http://www.ukcar.com/history/ZIL/

          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...> wrote:
          > I think it's "deducated" to Lihacheff, whoever he is,
          > most likely another monster from soviet era.
          > Subdeacon Kirill
          >
          > --- "Olhovsky, Sergey" <solhovsky@h...> wrote:
          > > The bells, the largest cast in Russia in 200 years,
          > > were completed at the ZiL plant earlier this year.
          > >
          > > How ironic when you consider that "ZiL" stands for
          > > Zavod Imeni Lenina . . . (The Lenin Factory)

          > http://finance.yahoo.com
        • Ackerly, Olga
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2002
            Whoever is monitoring this list, please include the attachments I sent with my post. Thank you.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2002