Article in Moscow Times: Bells Ring In Spiritual Rebirth

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5 6:17 AM
      Moscow Times
      Thursday, Sep. 5, 2002.

      Bells Ring in Spiritual Rebirth

      By Andrei Zolotov
      Staff Writer

      SERGIYEV POSAD, Moscow Region -- After prayers were chanted and speeches
      said, thousands of eyes looked up Wednesday afternoon to the glittering
      cupolas of the Holy Trinity St. Sergius Monastery.

      A mammoth Krupp crane began slowly lifting Pervenets, the first of three
      giant bells that will replace those destroyed by Bolsheviks 72 years ago.

      "This is good," a young monk muttered after snapping a picture. "How will
      it sound?"

      Many superlatives were used Wednesday to describe the historical importance
      of the day when two bells -- the 27-ton Pervenets, or Firstborn, and the
      35.5-ton Blagovestnik, or Evangelist -- were hoisted up 25 meters to the
      monastery's bell tower. The bells, the largest cast in Russia in 200 years,
      were completed at the ZiL plant earlier this year.

      Both church officials and engineers said the biggest challenge still lies
      ahead. The third bell, Tsar, weighing an impressive 64 tons, is to be cast
      and raised next year if sponsors can be found to cover its nearly $3
      million price tag.

      "In this we see historical justice," Russian Orthodox Patriarch Alexy II
      said. "We are recreating what was barbarically destroyed. May their chimes
      call us all to prayer, to feats [podvigi] and to faith in Christ."

      State Duma Deputy Alexander Gurov gave a passionate speech dotted with
      popular slang that sent ripples of laughter through the crowd. "The voices
      of the bells have to remind us that we are the descendants of Sergius of
      Radonezh, Dmitry Donskoi and Alexander Nevsky," he said, referring to the
      Russian patriotic saints. "The task of the bells is to unify our people so
      we can get out of the sh*t that we have found ourselves in."

      . . . .

      Full article with photos at:

      http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2002/09/05/003.html

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Olhovsky, Sergey
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5 11:21 AM
        The bells, the largest cast in Russia in 200 years,
        were completed at the ZiL plant earlier this year.

        How ironic when you consider that "ZiL" stands for
        Zavod Imeni Lenina . . . (The Lenin Factory)
      • Kiril Bart
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5 6:30 PM
          I think it's "deducated" to Lihacheff, whoever he is,
          most likely another monster from soviet era.
          Subdeacon Kirill

          --- "Olhovsky, Sergey" <solhovsky@...> wrote:
          > The bells, the largest cast in Russia in 200 years,
          > were completed at the ZiL plant earlier this year.
          >
          > How ironic when you consider that "ZiL" stands for
          > Zavod Imeni Lenina . . . (The Lenin Factory)

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • vkozyreff
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6 4:06 AM
            About Russian bells.

            Tradition has it that each chime of the bell sends the inscribed
            message forth to the heavens. No two exactly the same.

            The Russian company ZIL began operation in 1916 as AMO building its
            first basic automobiles on concepts that were still very close to the
            old carriages. The factory was given a complete facelift and renamed
            ZAVOD IMJENI STALINA (ZIS) in 1931. Subsequently this was changed to
            ZIL. ZAVOD IMJENI LIKHACHEVA after the name of the Director of the
            plant.

            The first small series of cars was produced in 1933 using the Buick
            5650 straight 8 engine. The ZIS101 came out in 1936 with a
            streamlined aerodynamic body following the current trend in the US.
            The 101 represented a turnabout in Russian automobile technology with
            the introduction of windscreen demisters, a synchromesh gearbox and
            even a thermostat dual effect dampers and the twin body carburettor.
            The ZIS101 remained in production until 1940 when the 101/a was
            brought out with a modified front end in 1946, ZIS/ZIL went into
            operation again introducing a new flagship onto the market which was
            a virtual copy of the Packard 180. It had a 6 litre 140hp engine and
            weighed 2.5 tons and was 6 metres long. It was used as an official
            saloon, a taxi and even an ambulance and remained in production until
            1958 when a 6 litre 200hp V8 ZIL3 came out introducing the 3 speed
            automatic gearbox. The 114 of 1967 had a longer wheelbase and body
            and was fitted with a bigger 7 litre light alloy engine instead of
            cast iron. Disc Brakes and electronic ignition were introduced on the
            114 as well as the first central door locking system. The 117 short
            wheel base saloon, 3.30 metres long, came out in 1972 and was also
            available as a soft top (117v). In 1978 came the 4104 limousine with
            a 7.7 litre V8 engine.

            http://www.ukcar.com/history/ZIL/

            --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...> wrote:
            > I think it's "deducated" to Lihacheff, whoever he is,
            > most likely another monster from soviet era.
            > Subdeacon Kirill
            >
            > --- "Olhovsky, Sergey" <solhovsky@h...> wrote:
            > > The bells, the largest cast in Russia in 200 years,
            > > were completed at the ZiL plant earlier this year.
            > >
            > > How ironic when you consider that "ZiL" stands for
            > > Zavod Imeni Lenina . . . (The Lenin Factory)

            > http://finance.yahoo.com
          • Ackerly, Olga
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7 8:05 AM
              Whoever is monitoring this list, please include the attachments I sent with my post. Thank you.

              In addition to Fr. Alexander's timely post, perhaps one could read about some of the other activities the MP is involved in at the present time.
              In Christ, Olga Ackerly

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7 8:24 AM