Re: [orthodox-synod] Off-Topic: I Hate Windows XP

  • Fr. Anthony Nelson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      lebedeff@... wrote:

      >I have just about had it with Windows XP Professional.

      snip

      As someone else mentioned on another list: I suspect hardware problems (if
      you have a video card, check that first!).

      I've been using XP Pro since it's introduction both on my workstation and
      on my laptop. And my workstation is a challenge to *any* operating system...

      The only problems I've experienced are slowness on the workstation and on
      the laptop I occasionally have trouble returning to the network after using
      dial-up while traveling. I still don't know what causes that...but it
      eventually fixes itself [:-( ========

      XP has a lot going for it, if its network weaknesses are not a problem (on
      our peer-to-peer it's not a consideration).

      Fr. Anthony

      Fr. Anthony Nelson * Emergency Cell Phone Email:
      St. Benedict Orthodox Church (ROCOR) * Up to 160 characters maximum
      Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441 * total allowed including return
      mailto:fr.anthony@... * address and Subject headers.
      http://www.orthodox.org/stbenedict/ * mailto:fra-mobile@...
    • Fr. Gregory Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
        Rather fight than switch, Father?! May I commend to your attention the "We
        Try Harder" machine/OS of which Windows is such a miserable imitation?!
      • Elias Gorsky
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
          Father Alexander, try some of the following, particularly enable boot
          logging; also look at the event log in administrative tools:

          Safe mode startup options
          If your computer will not start, you may be able to start it in safe mode.
          In safe mode, Windows 2000 uses default settings (VGA monitor, Microsoft
          mouse driver, no network connections, and the minimum device drivers
          required to start Windows).

          For example, if your computer will not start after you install new software,
          you may be able to start it with minimal services in safe mode and then
          change your computer settings or remove the newly installed software that is
          causing the problem. You can reinstall the service pack or the entire
          operating system, if necessary.

          If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can
          eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible
          causes.

          The safe mode options are:

          Safe Mode

          Starts Windows 2000 using only basic files and drivers (mouse, except serial
          mice; monitor; keyboard; mass storage; base video; default system services;
          and no network connections). If your computer does not start successfully
          using safe mode, you may need to use the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) feature
          to repair your system.

          Safe Mode with Networking

          Starts Windows 2000 using only basic files and drivers, plus network
          connections.

          Safe Mode with Command Prompt

          Starts Windows 2000 using only basic files and drivers. After logging on,
          the command prompt is displayed instead of the Windows desktop, Start menu,
          and Taskbar.

          Enable Boot Logging

          Starts Windows 2000 while logging all the drivers and services that were
          loaded (or not loaded) by the system to a file. This file is called
          ntbtlog.txt and it is located in the %windir% directory. Safe Mode, Safe
          Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt add to the boot log
          a list of all the drivers and services that are loaded. The boot log is
          useful in determining the exact cause of system startup problems.

          Enable VGA Mode

          Starts Windows 2000 using the basic VGA driver. This mode is useful when you
          have installed a new driver for your video card that is causing Windows 2000
          not to start properly. The basic video driver is always used when you start
          Windows 2000 in Safe Mode (either Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or
          Safe Mode with Command Prompt).

          Last Known Good Configuration

          Starts Windows 2000 using the registry information that Windows saved at the
          last shutdown. Use only in cases of incorrect configuration. Last known good
          configuration does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers
          or files. Also, any changes made since the last successful startup will be
          lost.

          Directory Service Restore Mode

          Not applicable for Windows 2000 Professional. This is for the Windows 2000
          Server operating system and is only used in restoring the SYSVOL directory
          and the Active Directory directory service on a domain controller.

          Debugging Mode

          Starts Windows 2000 while sending debug information through a serial cable
          to another computer.

          If you are using, or have used, Remote Install Services to install Windows
          2000 on your computer, you may see additional options related to restoring
          or recovering your system using Remote Install Services.

          Related Topics