Off-Topic: I Hate Windows XP

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
      I have just about had it with Windows XP Professional.

      With almost thirty years experience with computers (since PDP-9 days), and
      with degrees in Computer Programming and Systems Analysis, having built
      many systems from scratch, and having worked for years as a Systems
      Programmer and a Senior Software Engineer, I feel that I have a pretty good
      understanding of how to deal with computer problems.

      But XP just floors me.

      I have never experienced an opertaing system that is more unreliable or
      difficult to recover.

      Every few weeks (or days), the cursor will just freeze on the screen in
      whatever application I happen to be in (or even on the desktop screen with
      no applications open)--and the system is totally hung. No "three-fingered
      salute" is possible. The only way to restart the system is to turn it off
      and on. No disk problems are noted.

      But, as the system begins to restart--the Windows XP Screen comes up and a
      little blue space symbol starts running across a box at the bottom of the
      screen, and then just hangs--stops dead. And every time its at a different
      time--sometimes it runs across the box five or six times--sometimes only once.

      And then you're dead in the water.

      Try to restart by selecting "Last Known Good Configuration"--same problem.

      And the worst of it is that XP has no Boot Disk capability--and, get this,
      unlike all previous recent operating systems, it cannot be restarted from
      the original Installation CD-ROM.

      You put in the Instalation CD-ROM--it asks you if you want to "repair" the
      system.

      If you reply "Yes," it proceeds to reinstall key systems files--thus
      removing all of the Systems Service Packs, Updates, and Patches you have
      installed over the previous months.

      And then it gets to the point where it is time for it to reboot--and guess
      what happens?

      The Windows Screen appears, the little blue cursor begins to run across its
      box--and the system hangs dead as a doornail.

      Try a full reinstall?

      Sure--the system installation program runs for about forty-five minutes,
      having asked you again for the CD-Key, and your network information--and
      then, after having completed the reinstall--it automatically reboots, and --

      The Windows Screen appears, the little blue cursor begins to run across its
      box--and the system hangs dead as a doornail.

      This happens twenty times in a row, until -- miracle of miracles -- for
      some unexplained reason it gets through the installation process and the
      system comes up.

      Great.

      Now you have to reinstall all of your device drivers (and their updates),
      all of your applications (hope you have their CD-Keys) (and their updates),
      your entire network--and all of the Service Packs and Security Updates, if
      you can find them. . .

      A total disaster. . .

      And it happens again and again. . .

      I've reinstalled XP Professional six times now--and it has now hung again.
      I'm working from a laptop as a temporary stopgap, but my main computer is
      dead as a doornail--and when I somehow manage to fix it yet again--I know
      for a fact in a few days or weeks it will just hang again.

      Aargh!

      Microsoft--you are killing me!

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Fr. Anthony Nelson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
        lebedeff@... wrote:

        >I have just about had it with Windows XP Professional.

        snip

        As someone else mentioned on another list: I suspect hardware problems (if
        you have a video card, check that first!).

        I've been using XP Pro since it's introduction both on my workstation and
        on my laptop. And my workstation is a challenge to *any* operating system...

        The only problems I've experienced are slowness on the workstation and on
        the laptop I occasionally have trouble returning to the network after using
        dial-up while traveling. I still don't know what causes that...but it
        eventually fixes itself [:-( ========

        XP has a lot going for it, if its network weaknesses are not a problem (on
        our peer-to-peer it's not a consideration).

        Fr. Anthony

        Fr. Anthony Nelson * Emergency Cell Phone Email:
        St. Benedict Orthodox Church (ROCOR) * Up to 160 characters maximum
        Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441 * total allowed including return
        mailto:fr.anthony@... * address and Subject headers.
        http://www.orthodox.org/stbenedict/ * mailto:fra-mobile@...
      • Fr. Gregory Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
          Rather fight than switch, Father?! May I commend to your attention the "We
          Try Harder" machine/OS of which Windows is such a miserable imitation?!
        • Elias Gorsky
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
            Father Alexander, try some of the following, particularly enable boot
            logging; also look at the event log in administrative tools:

            Safe mode startup options
            If your computer will not start, you may be able to start it in safe mode.
            In safe mode, Windows 2000 uses default settings (VGA monitor, Microsoft
            mouse driver, no network connections, and the minimum device drivers
            required to start Windows).

            For example, if your computer will not start after you install new software,
            you may be able to start it with minimal services in safe mode and then
            change your computer settings or remove the newly installed software that is
            causing the problem. You can reinstall the service pack or the entire
            operating system, if necessary.

            If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can
            eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible
            causes.

            The safe mode options are:

            Safe Mode

            Starts Windows 2000 using only basic files and drivers (mouse, except serial
            mice; monitor; keyboard; mass storage; base video; default system services;
            and no network connections). If your computer does not start successfully
            using safe mode, you may need to use the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) feature
            to repair your system.

            Safe Mode with Networking

            Starts Windows 2000 using only basic files and drivers, plus network
            connections.

            Safe Mode with Command Prompt

            Starts Windows 2000 using only basic files and drivers. After logging on,
            the command prompt is displayed instead of the Windows desktop, Start menu,
            and Taskbar.

            Enable Boot Logging

            Starts Windows 2000 while logging all the drivers and services that were
            loaded (or not loaded) by the system to a file. This file is called
            ntbtlog.txt and it is located in the %windir% directory. Safe Mode, Safe
            Mode with Networking, and Safe Mode with Command Prompt add to the boot log
            a list of all the drivers and services that are loaded. The boot log is
            useful in determining the exact cause of system startup problems.

            Enable VGA Mode

            Starts Windows 2000 using the basic VGA driver. This mode is useful when you
            have installed a new driver for your video card that is causing Windows 2000
            not to start properly. The basic video driver is always used when you start
            Windows 2000 in Safe Mode (either Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or
            Safe Mode with Command Prompt).

            Last Known Good Configuration

            Starts Windows 2000 using the registry information that Windows saved at the
            last shutdown. Use only in cases of incorrect configuration. Last known good
            configuration does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers
            or files. Also, any changes made since the last successful startup will be
            lost.

            Directory Service Restore Mode

            Not applicable for Windows 2000 Professional. This is for the Windows 2000
            Server operating system and is only used in restoring the SYSVOL directory
            and the Active Directory directory service on a domain controller.

            Debugging Mode

            Starts Windows 2000 while sending debug information through a serial cable
            to another computer.

            If you are using, or have used, Remote Install Services to install Windows
            2000 on your computer, you may see additional options related to restoring
            or recovering your system using Remote Install Services.

            Related Topics