Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

  • podnoss
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2002
      In a complex world who can really claim to be Orthodox?

      Who will stand on the vacated soapbox & cast the next stone?

      Where is the Faith?

      Who here can pay the Price of Sacrifice?

      Joseph Damien, a nineteenth-century missionary who ministered to
      people with leprosy in Hawaii, did.

      One morning before he was to lead daily worship, he poured some
      boiling water into a cup which spilled on his bare foot. It took him
      a moment to realize that he had not felt any sensation. Damien
      immediately knew what had happened. He walked tearfully to deliver
      his sermon, and no one at first noticed the difference in his opening
      line. He normally greeted them, "My fellow believers." But this
      morning he began with, "My fellow lepers."

      Think of the cost. It is one thing to minister and pour your life
      into others when distance remains between the minister and the
      receiver. It is quite another when sacrifice closes that distance in
      painful relief. In the greatest condescension imaginable, Our Lord
      and Savior Jesus Christ came into this world knowing what obedience
      to the Father would cost him. He was fully aware, in the words of the
      prophet Isaiah, that it would be His Father's will to crush Him.

      Still, He came.

      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ went to the Cross willingly and with
      full knowledge of the price he would pay. Search out those who live a
      moral life and avoid those whose hobbies include memorizing and
      reciting moral arguments.
    • pcarp88
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2002
        > In a complex world who can really claim to be Orthodox?

        We Can.

        Brother, how do Christians living in today's "complex world", differ
        from those who were persecuted in centuries past--- especially
        believers baptized into the Orthodox faith? As Pilate asked, "What is
        truth?"---are we questioning our own baptism or our we frustrated
        with our own slackness.

        There is no doubt that Truth continues in the 21st century and the
        True church upon which "the gates of hell shall not prevail against",
        still remains.

        As St. John of SF says, "only it is promised to the True, Universal
        Church; but upon those who have fallen away from it are fulfilled the
        words, 'As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in
        the vine; so neither can ye, except ye abide in Me'." (John 15:4).
        (Excerpt from Archbishop John Maximovitch, "The Orthodox Veneration
        of the Mother of God", The Orthodox Word #73).

        Nicolai from NY