[orthodox-synod] Re: The Orthodox Church reports numerical increase

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 1999
      To quote the radical priest, Father Andrew James's article in One Church (the
      official publication of the Moscow Patriarchate, in the USA), a few eyars
      ago, when James directly addressed His All Holiness Bartolomeos, I, he said:
      "Stop making pope noises, Holiness."

      The news about the "resignation" of Archbishop SPYRIDON carried the
      guesstimate that there are 300,000,000 Orthodox Christians, but it also said
      that Black Bart is the "head of the Eastern Orthodox Church."

      As I recall (I'm doing this off the top of my head), Canon 28 of the 4th
      Ecumenical Council gives Bartolomeos the right to ordained the Metropolitans
      of Pontus, Thrace, and Asia (Asia Minor). This scandalized the pope of Rome.
      That canon also gives him authority over bishops from those three,
      continugous dioceses (continguous to Constantinople) "working among the
      barbarians."

      From such humble beginnings doth His All Holiness suck out no small
      advantage, but it is an advantage which has no possibility of establishing
      itself. It is, after all, utterly at odds with Holy Tradition and the sacred
      canons.

      Tell that to the rich Greek businessmen who got Spyridon thrown to the wolves.

      The cap to it all, trying desperately to get us to believe what is not true,
      in the local article, no doubt quoting the Phanar, came in the words:
      "Though he was born in Warren, Ohio, Spyridon's critics claim he was out of
      touch with America. He has spent most of his life in Europe."

      Well, who hasn't?!

      There's a word game played out in Waiting for Godot. In one scene Vladimir
      and Estragon are calling one another names. The game is over, when one of
      them (no one is ever certain which one is which) calls the other the worst
      thing either of them can think to call the other.

      He says: "Critic!"

      Father Andrew