Metropolitan Filaret and Grace

  • sergerust2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2002
      In his post 6136, father Alexander so converses with former
      Metropolitan Filaret :

      > So the question is: did Metropolitan Philaret consider that
      > all the time he was a clergyman of the Moscow Patriarchate
      > that he was without grace and that all the mysteries he performed
      > over those seventeen years were invalid?

      If really everything was all right with grace and mysteries in the
      MP, then why would Metropolitan Filaret have needed a penance ?

      In this respect, what we know for sure is what vladyka Filaret
      himself wrote :

      « The history of Christian Church knows no other example of such
      an
      inner enslavement of the Church to Her enemies as the one presented
      to the world by the Moscow Patriarchate. Not only does it resignedly
      endure the persecution of religion, which is comprehensible, but it
      has also put itself at the service of the lies of the atheists,
      praising the persecutors of the Faith as if they granted it freedom,
      the tormentors of the nation as its benefactors, and the instigators
      of world conflicts and unrest as peacemakers. Though the communists
      themselves have disclosed the innumerable crimes of Stalin as a
      murderer unsurpassed in the history of the world, the Moscow
      Patriarchate has praised him as an exemplary and virtuous leader
      elected by God ...
      Although for those who do not know its real situation, or do not wish
      to know it, the title of Church od Russia would seem to stand behind
      that voice, we, being aware of the actual state of affairs, could not
      recognise as valid or binding in either a canonical or a moral sense
      any decision arrived at with the participation of bishops enslaved by
      atheists »
      (letter to Patriarch Athenagoras).

      Here is another quote from Metropolitan Filaret which sets the record
      straight with respect to some matters recently discussed in this
      forum :

      « The late Patriarch Sergius and the present Patriarch Alexis [the
      same is true for present Alexis 2] were elected in violation of the
      rules which were instituted by the All-Russian Church Council of 1917
      at the restoration of the Patriarchate. Both were chosen according to
      the instructions of Stalin, the fiercest persecutor of the Church in
      history » (Sorrowful epistle to the Primates of the Holy Orthodox
      Churches).

      Eternal memory and glory to our confessor First-Hierarch Filaret !

      Serge Rust