Some Words From Mark Twain

  • hermitage@infoave.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7 3:15 AM
      ..."But, Mary, you know how we have been trained all our lives long, like
      the whole village, till it is absolutely second nature to us to stop not a
      single moment to think when there's an honest thing to be done--"

      "Oh, I know it, I know it--it's been one everlasting training and training
      and training in honesty--honesty shielded, from the very cradle, against
      every possible temptation, and so it's ARTIFICIAL honesty, and weak as water
      when temptation comes, as we have seen this night. God knows I never had
      shade nor shadow of a doubt of my petrified and indestructible honesty until
      now--and now, under the very first big and real temptation, I---Edward, it
      is my belief that this town's honesty is as rotten as mine is; as rotten as
      yours. It is a mean town, a hard, stingy town, and hasn't a virtue in the
      world but this honesty it is so celebrated for and so conceited about; and
      so help me, I do believe that if ever the day comes that its honesty falls
      under great temptation, its grand reputation will go to ruin like a house of
      cards. There, now, I've made confession, and I feel better; I am a humbug,
      and I've been one all my life, without knowing it. Let no man call me
      honest again--I will not have it." ...

      Mark Twain
      "The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg"
      Full text at: