Personal opinions of bishops

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2002
      Dear List,

      Regarding public declarations of bishops that express in fact their
      personal opinion, I found these comments about the "Sobornost" in the
      Orthodox Ecclesiologyby (Dr. Krzysztof LeÂśniewski,
      lesni@..., "The Notion of Sobornost" in Russian Orthodox
      Theology)

      "The Church as truth is not given to individuals but to a unity in
      love and faith. It reveals itself as a supreme reality in which its
      members share the measure of their sobornost'.

      The role of the hierarchy is to exercise the power of expressing and
      speaking the faith and the experience of the Church, which have been
      preserved in the whole Body of Christ. The hierarchy serves as the
      mouthpiece of the Church. The hierarchs have the power to teach "with
      authority" from Jesus Christ.

      Every bishop of the Church has received full power and authority to
      speak in the name of his people.

      But also the flock receives the right of speaking through the bishop.

      A hierarch must speak not from himself but ex consensu ecclesiae, in
      the name of the Church. The source of power to teach for the bishop
      flows from Christ through the Apostolic Succession."