Archbishop Luka

  • Fr. Gregory Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6, 2002
      Elisabeth queried...

      If a person was an ardent member of the MP in the 1920's and 1930's,
      suffered in concentration camps and was sent off to Solovki at the time that
      the new martyr bishop Hilarion was there,- does the fact that he was a
      member of the MP negate his suffering in the eyes of God? - Elisabeth

      I don't believe I said anything relating to "his suffering in the eyes of
      God", about which I know nothing. What I did say is that he _continued_ as
      a loyal (and more) hierarch of the MP _after_ his suffering, and died as a
      bishop in its ranks. As such, in no sense can he be numbered, at least by
      our Church, amongst the New Martyrs and Confessors.
    • vkozyreff
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 6, 2002
        Dear Elisabeth, dear List,

        The principle or Sergianism was to collaborate with the authorities,
        with the fallacious hope to save one's life and the Church. In fact
        it did not save anything, and many sergianist bishops were killed by
        the Bolsheviks anyhow.

        Sergianism is anathema. We have no indication that a person who
        accepted and practised sergianism is a saint, if we have no
        indication that that person renounced sergianism and was then
        forgiven by God.

        Maybe it happened (see the good brigand), that is why we should not
        condemn people. Any apparent sinner may have already been forgiven by
        God when we think of him. We condemn sins only. In this particular
        case, we do not know. So there is no reason to believe that that
        person is a saint. It can be, but we do not know.

        Suffering has no meaning without God. Metropolitan Sergius did suffer
        a lot. This does not make him a saint.

        Many Bolshevik leaders suffered a lot when the revolution ate its
        children. Maybe there were Christian martyrs in the same Gulag. The
        bolsheviks that suffered there are probably no saints, though.

        Judas too suffered a lot. This does not make him a saint.

        In God,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., elisabeth shohov <mitrophan@y...> wrote:

        > "Fr. Gregory Williams" wrote:I would be dumbfounded had he been
        included. After all, he lived and died
        > as an ardent member of the synod of the Moscow Patriarchate!?!?!?
        >
        > Dear Father Gregory- If a person was an ardent member of the MP in
        the 1920's and 1930's, suffered in concentration camps and was sent
        off to Solovki at the time that the new martyr bishop Hilarion was
        there,- does the fact that he was a member of the MP negate his
        suffering in the eyes of God? - Elisabeth
        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

      • Hristofor
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2002
          If memory serves me correctly, Archbishop Luka was imprisoned (and probably
          suffered at the same time) before WW II. It was only during the war that he
          was released, I believe, due to the shortage of doctors needed for the war
          effort. In fact, he asked for a temporary release, and wanted to be
          returned to jail after the war was completed, in order to finish his
          sentence. It is a stretch to judge him and say that the reason he asked for
          a temporary release was to get out of jail and save himself by going to the
          front! He could have been killed during the war or have been shot upon
          return, as many soldiers and officers were, for real or imagined
          collaboration with the nazis or some other trumped up reason. This is the
          reason I asked, since he appears to have been a confessor up until WW II
          and then after the war, his life took a different course as he once again
          began to serve as a priest.

          I imagine that there are other less well-known cases of confessor-priests
          who survived the camps and (internal) exile of the 20's, 30's and 40's and
          who in no way could be accused of collaboration or Sergianism. It would be
          interesting to find out the fate of those priests: if they joined the
          catacombs, MP, or attempted to serve on their own.

          Hristofor
        • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 7, 2002
            Fr. Gregory Williams wrote:

            >What I did say is that he _continued_ as
            >a loyal (and more) hierarch of the MP _after_ his suffering, and died as a
            >bishop in its ranks. As such, in no sense can he be numbered, at least by
            >our Church, amongst the New Martyrs and Confessors.

            This is simply not correct.

            The list of New Martyrs and Confessors and the official Icon of the New
            Martyrs and Confessors of Russia certainly contains a number of Bishops who
            were in full communion with Metropolitan Sergius.

            Some, such as Metropolitans Peter and Agathangel, are commemorated
            explicitly at virtually every Matins service in the long prayer, "O God,
            save Thy people. . ."

            Although Metropolitan Peter expressed his reservations about the path
            chosen by Metropolitan Sergius, he never broke communion with him, or
            demanded that Metropolitan Sergius relinquish his position as Deputy Locum
            Tenens.

            And the letter of Metropolitan Agathangel to Metropolitan Sergius, written
            not long before Metropolitan Agathangel's repose in which Metropolitan
            Agathangel states that he fully recognizes Metropolitan Sergius's authority
            (this is long after the Declaration) is a matter of historicl record.

            Others, such as Metropolitan Arsenius (Stadnitsky) of Novgorod, have their
            names prominent on the Icon of the New Martyrs.

            It should be noted that Metropolitan Arsenius was actually a **member** of
            Metropolitan Sergius's post-Declaration Synod, and was a bishop in good
            standing in Metropolitan Sergius's administration to the day he reposed.

            Does anyone support ceasing commemorations of Metropolitans Peter,
            Agathangel, or Arsenius or removing their images from the Icon of the New
            Martyrs because they did not break communion with Metropolitans Sergius
            after his Declaration?

            I have not had time to research this more fully, but I am convinced that
            there are many more bishops and priests, other than the ones I mentioned,
            on the list of New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia, or depicted on the
            official Icon, that also never broke with Metropolitan Sergius.

            With love in Christ,

            Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
          • Joachim Wertz
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 8, 2002
              I believe that even Fr. Pavel Florensky is depicted on the Icon.

              Joachim Wertz

              ----------
              From: "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@...>
              To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Archbishop Luka
              Date: Wed, Aug 7, 2002, 12:17 PM

              Fr. Gregory Williams wrote:

              >What I did say is that he _continued_ as
              >a loyal (and more) hierarch of the MP _after_ his suffering, and died as a
              >bishop in its ranks. As such, in no sense can he be numbered, at least by
              >our Church, amongst the New Martyrs and Confessors.

              This is simply not correct.

              The list of New Martyrs and Confessors and the official Icon of the New
              Martyrs and Confessors of Russia certainly contains a number of Bishops who
              were in full communion with Metropolitan Sergius.

              Some, such as Metropolitans Peter and Agathangel, are commemorated
              explicitly at virtually every Matins service in the long prayer, "O God,
              save Thy people. . ."

              Although Metropolitan Peter expressed his reservations about the path
              chosen by Metropolitan Sergius, he never broke communion with him, or
              demanded that Metropolitan Sergius relinquish his position as Deputy Locum
              Tenens.

              And the letter of Metropolitan Agathangel to Metropolitan Sergius, written
              not long before Metropolitan Agathangel's repose in which Metropolitan
              Agathangel states that he fully recognizes Metropolitan Sergius's authority
              (this is long after the Declaration) is a matter of historicl record.

              Others, such as Metropolitan Arsenius (Stadnitsky) of Novgorod, have their
              names prominent on the Icon of the New Martyrs.

              It should be noted that Metropolitan Arsenius was actually a **member** of
              Metropolitan Sergius's post-Declaration Synod, and was a bishop in good
              standing in Metropolitan Sergius's administration to the day he reposed.

              Does anyone support ceasing commemorations of Metropolitans Peter,
              Agathangel, or Arsenius or removing their images from the Icon of the New
              Martyrs because they did not break communion with Metropolitans Sergius
              after his Declaration?

              I have not had time to research this more fully, but I am convinced that
              there are many more bishops and priests, other than the ones I mentioned,
              on the list of New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia, or depicted on the
              official Icon, that also never broke with Metropolitan Sergius.

              With love in Christ,

              Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Fr. Gregory Williams
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8, 2002
                Fr. Alexander commented --

                The list of New Martyrs and Confessors and the official Icon of the New
                Martyrs and Confessors of Russia certainly contains a number of Bishops who
                were in full communion with Metropolitan Sergius.

                True enough. But that's _very_ different from the situation of Abp. Luka,
                who was a member of the synod of the MP until his death in 1961, having
                served (even though almost certainly often with much discomfort) not only
                his flock, but the apparatus of the Soviet Church from the time of its
                emergence.

                The clouds and confusion of the 20s and even 30s had little common ground
                with the horrors of a "Church" which after the "election" of "Patriarch"
                Alexis had become above all the tool of the Soviet government and more
                specifically the KGB.
              • Joseph Digrande
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 8, 2002
                  Did all the clerics listed by Ft. Alexander support
                  the anathema against those who would not commemorate
                  Sergius (issued by Sergius) some years after the
                  declaration? And has that anathema against the
                  catacomb church been lifted by the MP in the 90's?
                  I thought that just before Met. Peter's death, he took
                  a much harder line on Sergius, but I might be wrong.
                  Joseph Digrande

                  HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                  http://www.hotjobs.com
                • sergerust2002
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 14, 2002
                    > Does anyone know if Archbishop Luka (known to the world
                    > as Dr Valentin Feliksovich Voino-Iasenetskii) was included
                    > in the cannonization of the New Russian Martyrs
                    > by the ROCA in 1981? (The MP cannonized him in 2000).
                    > Thanks. Hristofor (post 6097)

                    I think I got the answer :

                    «It is worth noting, in relation to the literature most
                    abundantly published by the MP, that they canonized such
                    fantastic "startsi" as Matrionushka, Feodossia. MP canonized
                    them, wrote their icons, published writings about how
                    Matriona prayed for Stalin - the big mix. I happened to see
                    a book on her, a painful reading. Among us, unofficially,
                    this is called "soviet theology". Besides,MP canonized
                    LUKA VOINO-IASENETSKII, but he was simply an heretic,
                    a pantheist. He attempted to to demonstrate the spiritual
                    life through the experience of the witches. He was a good
                    surgeon, but no orthodox theologian. And what they've done
                    in Diveyevo! What speculation all around! The prices of the
                    neighboring barracks went up, as people, leaving their family,
                    go and live there. Typically sectarian. And though, the MP
                    clergy maintain this insane manifestation»
                    (Bishop Evtykhy, December 22, 1999).

                    Serge Rust