Father Alexander's Letter

  • Katherine Landsberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2002
      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      I would like to make some comments on the letter of
      Father Alexander Lebedeff, posted on August 1, 2002.

      First, allow me to explain my relationship to Father
      Alexander. While just a teenage girl, I heard him
      speak at the St. Herman's Youth Conference, and I was
      struck not only by the sincerity with which he spoke,
      but his logical and rational style of argumentation.
      In the short time he was speaking, he managed to
      accomplish a 180-degree change in my opinion on the
      topic which was being discussed. Impressed by his
      eloquence and intellect, I became, years later, a
      devoted reader of his Internet posts, and I developed
      a profound respect for his staunch defense of
      tradition, truth, and his use of historical texts and
      evidence to support his point of view. Because of my
      respect and admiration for him, I wholeheartedly
      supported inviting him to speak at the 1999
      All-Diaspora Youth Conference, held in Chicago, of
      which I was one of the organizers.

      Now, although I have met him personally only a few
      times, I have studied his writings, and anyone who
      does the same will be convinced that Father Alexander
      never bases any of his opinions on hearsay. Every
      post, every argument, every opinion is always
      substantiated by hard evidence, by historical texts,
      by citation of sources.

      This Father Alexander, the Father Alexander I know,
      would never even think about writing in such an
      authoritative tone on a subject about which he knows
      nothing. In the letter, signed by "Father Alexander
      Lebedeff", of August 1, 2002, the individual writing
      the letter presumes to know the circumstances of a
      situation in a distant city, which he has not visited
      since before the situation arose, and draws
      conclusions based not on knowledge of the facts, not
      on firsthand observation of the situation, but on a
      one-sided report from a party who is accused of
      serious transgressions by a senior bishop of ROCOR.
      The Father Alexander that I have come to know through
      his writings is unfailing in his obedience to the
      ROCOR bishops, and would never, ever write a letter
      designed to discredit the statement of a bishop
      without even calling the bishop and speaking to him
      directly.

      Therefore, only one of two conclusion can be drawn:
      either the letter of August 1, 2002 is not written by
      Father Alexander Lebedeff, or he was "helped" to write
      it by individuals desiring to obscure the truth,
      exerting pressure on him in his fragile emotional
      state, brought on, no doubt, by the enormous stress of
      being subjected to constant criticism on the Internet
      and the other pressures of supporting a family and
      trying to save the souls of laypeople who are
      bombarded on a daily basis (more so than the average
      person) by the extraordinary temptations one undergoes
      while living in Southern California.

      Since he is in a fragile emotional state, I advise you
      not even to call him and ask him if he wrote the
      letter. He will probably admit that he wrote it, but
      even this cannot be taken as a true validation,
      because those with a questionable agenda are exerting
      immeasurable pressure on him to say what they want him
      to say. The reason I know this is because I live in
      Chicago and he lives in Los Angeles, and those two
      cities are really close to each other.

      With love,
      Katya Breschneva

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2002
        Katya Breschneva wrote:

        >Dear Brothers and Sisters!
        >
        >I would like to make some comments on the letter of
        >Father Alexander Lebedeff, posted on August 1, 2002.

        [snip]

        [Fr. Alexander]

        >draws
        >conclusions based not on knowledge of the facts, not
        >on firsthand observation of the situation, but on a
        >one-sided report from a party who is accused of
        >serious transgressions by a senior bishop of ROCOR.

        This well-crafted sarcastic response to my posting has only one serious
        flaw: its premise is false.

        Actually, I have many sources of information about what is going on in
        Chicago---not just the party you mention--sources both among the clergy and
        among the laity.

        I would never have expressed my opinion on this matter if I had had only
        one source.

        But--thanks for your kind words about me, anyway.

        And-- you are correct about the difficulties of dealing with the
        temptations of Southern California--specifically Hollywood, where our
        Cathedral is located (just one block from Sunset Blvd., and four blocks
        from Hollywood Blvd., and just a couple of hundred feet from the infamous
        Hollywood Tropicana female mud and oil wrestling establishment).

        We need your prayers as we struggle to bring souls closer to God and His
        Holy Church.

        With love in Christ,

        Prot. Alexander Lebedeff