Re: [orthodox-synod] Serbians versus Serbian officials

  • arescan@canada.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2002
      Blessed is our God!
      Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus would be considerd heretical as measured by the standards of those who are more Orthodox than the Church!
      En Xto,
      +Emanuel
      "William R. Mosher" <woogey@...> wrote: His Holiness, the Patriarch of Serbia address the Pope of Rome exactly as Orthodox hierarchs have address the Pope of Rome since the old Roman Patriarchate of the West went into schism in the 11th century. Even St. Mark of Ephesus, that champion of Orthodoxy at Florence, addressed the Pope of Rome in such manner. Does that make him heretical?

      In IC XC,
      Alban
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 5, 2002
        Dear List,

        The most interesting thing about St Mark of Ephesus is that he was
        the Church, when he was alone against the Synod, the Patriarch and
        the Emperor. He was fundamentally orthodox, that is a true orthodox.
        No majority rule here. Orthodox are never the majority. Christ always
        divided men, and the majority had it always wrong.

        If you can find a way that is more orthodox than the way of the
        majority of believers and priests or even the Synod's way, the way
        you have found is the right one.

        An acceptable Moslem should not be a fundamentalist, because the
        teaching of Mohammed contains fundamentally wrong elements that are
        unacceptable and should not be followed. That is why we prefer
        moderate Moslems.

        But no moderate Christians. 'So because you are lukewarm, and neither
        hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. (Revelation 3:15-17)

        The teaching of Christ being totally right, the only way to be an
        acceptable orthodox is to be totally orthodox, that is fundamentally
        orthodox.

        St. Mark wanted a reunion with the Latino - Catholics, based upon
        unity of faith. He declared that he had come to the Council not to
        sign a capitulation but in order to confirm true and pure doctrine.

        Let us pray that he inspire our hierarchs in their relationship with
        the MP and the Pope of Rome.

        In God,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "arescan@c..." <arescan@y...> wrote:

        > Blessed is our God!
        > Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus would be considerd
        heretical as measured by the standards of those who are more Orthodox
        than the Church!
        > En Xto,
        > +Emanuel
        > "William R. Mosher" <woogey@s...> wrote: His Holiness, the
        Patriarch of Serbia address the Pope of Rome exactly as Orthodox
        hierarchs have address the Pope of Rome since the old Roman
        Patriarchate of the West went into schism in the 11th century. Even
        St. Mark of Ephesus, that champion of Orthodoxy at Florence,
        addressed the Pope of Rome in such manner. Does that make him
        heretical?

        > In IC XC,
        > Alban

        Service.

      • Kiril Bart
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 6, 2002
          I would think that even church of Rome of the St.
          Mark's times would considered modern RC heretical,
          after all new dogmas that they implemented.
          Subdeacon Kirill
          --- "arescan@..." <arescan@...> wrote:

          > Blessed is our God!
          > Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus
          > would be considerd heretical as measured by the
          > standards of those who are more Orthodox than the
          > Church!
          > En Xto,
          > +Emanuel
          > "William R. Mosher" <woogey@...> wrote: His
          > Holiness, the Patriarch of Serbia address the Pope
          > of Rome exactly as Orthodox hierarchs have address
          > the Pope of Rome since the old Roman Patriarchate of
          > the West went into schism in the 11th century. Even
          > St. Mark of Ephesus, that champion of Orthodoxy at
          > Florence, addressed the Pope of Rome in such manner.
          > Does that make him heretical?
          >
          > In IC XC,
          > Alban

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 7, 2002

            > Blessed is our God!
            >Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus would be considerd
            >heretical as measured by the standards of those who are more Orthodox than
            >the Church!
            >En Xto,
            >+Emanuel

            Actually, this is absolutely correct.

            First of all, the ultra-fanatical fringe would consider St. Mark's travel
            to Florence/Ferrara in order to dialogue with the Roman Catholics to be a
            betrayal of Orthodoxy.

            Secondly, since every session of the Council opened with a joint prayer,
            St. Mark must be considered to be a betrayer of Orthodoxy for participating
            (or even being present).

            Thirdly, they would claim that the language of respect used by St. Mark
            towards the Pope and other Roman Catholic Prelates during the
            Council (Holy Father, esteemed Brethren in Christ, etc.) to be a betrayal
            of Orthodoxy.

            And, finally, they would consider the Encyclical that St. Mark that he
            penned after the Council, in which he states that Roman Catholics who
            become Orthodox must be received by **Chrismation** (not Baptism) to be a
            betrayal of Orthodoxy.

            With love in Christ,

            Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
          • Michael Nikitin
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
              Absolutely incorrect Fr.Alexander. Stop with these heretical insinuations
              Fr.Alexander. You are a priest behave like one.

              If Fr.Alexander read the History he would have known that St. Mark of
              Ephesus did not pray with the heretics.

              I am surprised(I really shouldn't since he's been doing it regularly to
              promote his agenda of ecumenism) that Fr.Alexander has the audacity to
              slander our Saints.

              How can Fr.Alexander say these heretical statements and give spiritual
              advice to his faithful.

              At the time of St. Mark the Roman Catholics had the triple immersion and not
              much had changed as to baptism except they didn't have grace being
              Anathematised. Chrismation was given as economia to impart grace.
              Now the Roman Catholics don't have triple immersion and the baptism has
              changed to the point that ROCOR baptises them.

              Michael N.

              From: "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@...>
              To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:37:56 -0700

              > Blessed is our God!
              >Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus would be considerd
              >heretical as measured by the standards of those who are more Orthodox than
              >the Church!
              >En Xto,
              >+Emanuel

              Actually, this is absolutely correct.

              First of all, the ultra-fanatical fringe would consider St. Mark's travelto
              Florence/Ferrara in order to dialogue with the Roman Catholics to be a
              betrayal of Orthodoxy.

              Secondly, since every session of the Council opened with a joint prayer,
              St. Mark must be considered to be a betrayer of Orthodoxy for participating
              (or even being present).

              Thirdly, they would claim that the language of respect used by St. Mark
              towards the Pope and other Roman Catholic Prelates during the
              Council (Holy Father, esteemed Brethren in Christ, etc.) to be a betrayal
              of Orthodoxy.

              And, finally, they would consider the Encyclical that St. Mark that he
              penned after the Council, in which he states that Roman Catholics who
              become Orthodox must be received by **Chrismation** (not Baptism) to be a
              betrayal of Orthodoxy.

              With love in Christ,

              Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

            • sergerust2002
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                Here are some comments on father Alexander's :

                > First of all, the ultra-fanatical fringe would consider
                > St. Mark's travel to Florence/Ferrara in order to dialogue
                > with the Roman Catholics to be a betrayal of Orthodoxy.

                It is less a matter of «ultra-fanatical fringe» but of Holy
                Canons :
                - «Let any Bishop, or Presbyter, or Deacon who only joins in
                prayer with heretics be excommunicated» (45th Apostolic)
                - «On must not join in prayer with heretics or schismatics »
                (33rd Laodicea)

                > Secondly, since every session of the Council opened
                > with a joint prayer, St. Mark must be considered to be
                > a betrayer of Orthodoxy for participating (or even being present).

                Joint prayer ? The Pope opened the Council (not every session)
                with «Blessed be the Lord God of Israel!». Some psalms (not
                prayers) were then sung. Moreover, on their return, the orthodox
                repented in these terms : «We have sold our faith, we have
                exchanged Orthodoxy for heterodoxy, and loosing our former pure faith
                have become azymites. May our hands, which signed the unjust decree
                be cut off! May our tongues which have spoken consent with the Latins
                be plucked out!» These were the words of the good but week
                pastors–
                Anthony of Heraclea, the oldest members of the Council, and others
                (Ducas. c.XXXI, p. 120, 121. Ed 1649). These are the words we would
                expect today - when the apostasy is much bigger - from the Serbian
                officials and from some of their defenders within ROCOR. Upon their
                return to Constantinople, "many of the bishops would not
                officiate together with the new Patriarch [Metrophanes, although he
                had also repented]; when the Emperor tried to compel them to do so,
                Mark of Ephesus and Anthony of Heraclea secretly left
                Constantinople"
                (The History of the Council of Florence, by Ivan N. Ostroumoff").

                > And, finally, they would consider the Encyclical that St. Mark
                > that he penned after the Council, in which he states that
                > Roman Catholics who become Orthodox must be received
                > by **Chrismation** (not Baptism) to be a betrayal of Orthodoxy.

                St Mark wrote: "Avoid brethren such teachers [the Roman
                Catholics], and all communion with them. They are false apostles,
                workers of evil transformed into Apostles of Christ ...".

                Serge Rust
              • pcarp88
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                  Dear Brother Michael,

                  The smoke seems to be rising in the debate over St. Mark, and your
                  comments regarding the integrity of Father L. …"Fr.Alexander. You
                  are a priest behave like one" & "how can Fr.Alexander say these
                  heretical statements and give spiritual advice to his
                  faithful,"…….....would be objectionable in a court of law because
                  they are personal attacks. How would you react to someone who told
                  you, "You're an ORTHODOX LIST member so behave like one!"?

                  If we had enough "unworthy" priests left around the world to serve in
                  our churches, some of our faithful would not need to travel hours to
                  attend services.

                  Nicolai from NY

                • vkozyreff
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2002
                    Dear List,

                    I totally agree with Nicolai that forms should be respected. I
                    disagree however when he speaks about personal attacks. I do not see
                    any in Michael Nikitin's post.

                    Father Alexander tone too was brisk ("the ultra-fanatical fringe
                    would consider St. Mark's travel to Florence/Ferrara in order to
                    dialogue with the Roman Catholics to be a betrayal of Orthodoxy").

                    One may understand Michael Nikitin's comments on Father Alexander's
                    position, which is (who would deny it) always lenient about
                    ecumenism, and which is unexpected in the orthodox Church. In our
                    days, it seems that taking into account the canons and anathemas
                    makes you a fanatic. You refer to a court of law. Would such a court
                    accept that respecting the law is being part of the ultra-fanatical
                    fringe?

                    Even if one may dispute the tone used, Michael Nikitin's contribution
                    looks important and positive, in this particular case.

                    As you say, we need priests. We need believers as well. Lay people
                    too are the guarantors of the faith. "Neither the hierarchy nor
                    councils could ever introduce novelty, since with us the guardian of
                    piety and faith is the very Body of the Church, i.e., the people
                    themselves." (Encyclical Letter of the Eastern Patriarchs to the
                    Roman Pope in 1848.)

                    I hope that father Alexander will forgive me and I beg his prayers.

                    In God,

                    Vladimir Kozyreff

                  • pcarp88
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 9, 2002
                      Vladimir,
                      I object your Honor! I don't agree with the tone of some forum
                      members who by virtue of their hot headyness believe they are *just*
                      in condemning other members who may *appear* to fault short of
                      following the canons of the church in their dialogue. Father L. may
                      be guilty of the same.

                      My point is ..."The words from the lips of a wise man are gracious"
                      (Eccl. 10:2)

                      Nicolai from NY

                      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "vkozyreff" <vladimir.kozyreff@s...>