Re: [orthodox-synod] Serbians versus Serbian officials

  • arescan@canada.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2 6:58 PM
      Blessed is our God!
      Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus would be considerd heretical as measured by the standards of those who are more Orthodox than the Church!
      En Xto,
      +Emanuel
      "William R. Mosher" <woogey@...> wrote: His Holiness, the Patriarch of Serbia address the Pope of Rome exactly as Orthodox hierarchs have address the Pope of Rome since the old Roman Patriarchate of the West went into schism in the 11th century. Even St. Mark of Ephesus, that champion of Orthodoxy at Florence, addressed the Pope of Rome in such manner. Does that make him heretical?

      In IC XC,
      Alban
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4 12:45 AM
        Dear List,

        Not the manner, but the substance.

        The Serbian Church is an active member of the ecumenist movement and
        is part of the World Council of Churches – the main organisation of
        the ecumenist heresy. As such, she falls under the 1983 anathema of
        the ROCOR, which reads:

        "To those who attack the Church of Christ by teaching that Christ's
        Church is divided into so-called "branches" which differ in doctrine
        and way of life, or that the Church does not exist visibly, but will
        be formed in the future when all "branches" or sects or
        denominations, and even religions will be united into one body;

        and who do not distinguish the Priesthood and Mysteries of the Church
        from those of the heretics, but say that the baptism and eucharist of
        heretics is effectual for salvation;

        therefore, to those who knowingly have communion with these
        aforementioned heretics or who advocate, disseminate, or defend their
        heresy of ecumenism under the pretext of brotherly love or the
        supposed unification of separated Christians,

        Anathema!" (" Orthodox Russia " ¹ 10, 1984, page 3).

        This anathema concerns also those who have the appearance of being
        orthodox and participate in a dialogue and joint prayers with active
        or passive followers of the ecumenist movement, that is heretics that
        are outside of Church.

        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "William R. Mosher" <woogey@s...> wrote:
        > His Holiness, the Patriarch of Serbia address the Pope of Rome
        exactly as Orthodox hierarchs have address the Pope of Rome since the
        old Roman Patriarchate of the West went into schism in the 11th
        century. Even St. Mark of Ephesus, that champion of Orthodoxy at
        Florence, addressed the Pope of Rome in such manner. Does that make
        him heretical?

        > In IC XC,
        > Alban

      • vkozyreff
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 5 1:16 AM
          Dear List,

          The most interesting thing about St Mark of Ephesus is that he was
          the Church, when he was alone against the Synod, the Patriarch and
          the Emperor. He was fundamentally orthodox, that is a true orthodox.
          No majority rule here. Orthodox are never the majority. Christ always
          divided men, and the majority had it always wrong.

          If you can find a way that is more orthodox than the way of the
          majority of believers and priests or even the Synod's way, the way
          you have found is the right one.

          An acceptable Moslem should not be a fundamentalist, because the
          teaching of Mohammed contains fundamentally wrong elements that are
          unacceptable and should not be followed. That is why we prefer
          moderate Moslems.

          But no moderate Christians. 'So because you are lukewarm, and neither
          hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. (Revelation 3:15-17)

          The teaching of Christ being totally right, the only way to be an
          acceptable orthodox is to be totally orthodox, that is fundamentally
          orthodox.

          St. Mark wanted a reunion with the Latino - Catholics, based upon
          unity of faith. He declared that he had come to the Council not to
          sign a capitulation but in order to confirm true and pure doctrine.

          Let us pray that he inspire our hierarchs in their relationship with
          the MP and the Pope of Rome.

          In God,

          Vladimir Kozyreff

          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "arescan@c..." <arescan@y...> wrote:

          > Blessed is our God!
          > Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus would be considerd
          heretical as measured by the standards of those who are more Orthodox
          than the Church!
          > En Xto,
          > +Emanuel
          > "William R. Mosher" <woogey@s...> wrote: His Holiness, the
          Patriarch of Serbia address the Pope of Rome exactly as Orthodox
          hierarchs have address the Pope of Rome since the old Roman
          Patriarchate of the West went into schism in the 11th century. Even
          St. Mark of Ephesus, that champion of Orthodoxy at Florence,
          addressed the Pope of Rome in such manner. Does that make him
          heretical?

          > In IC XC,
          > Alban

          Service.

        • Kiril Bart
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 6 12:23 PM
            I would think that even church of Rome of the St.
            Mark's times would considered modern RC heretical,
            after all new dogmas that they implemented.
            Subdeacon Kirill
            --- "arescan@..." <arescan@...> wrote:

            > Blessed is our God!
            > Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus
            > would be considerd heretical as measured by the
            > standards of those who are more Orthodox than the
            > Church!
            > En Xto,
            > +Emanuel
            > "William R. Mosher" <woogey@...> wrote: His
            > Holiness, the Patriarch of Serbia address the Pope
            > of Rome exactly as Orthodox hierarchs have address
            > the Pope of Rome since the old Roman Patriarchate of
            > the West went into schism in the 11th century. Even
            > St. Mark of Ephesus, that champion of Orthodoxy at
            > Florence, addressed the Pope of Rome in such manner.
            > Does that make him heretical?
            >
            > In IC XC,
            > Alban

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 7 10:37 AM

              > Blessed is our God!
              >Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus would be considerd
              >heretical as measured by the standards of those who are more Orthodox than
              >the Church!
              >En Xto,
              >+Emanuel

              Actually, this is absolutely correct.

              First of all, the ultra-fanatical fringe would consider St. Mark's travel
              to Florence/Ferrara in order to dialogue with the Roman Catholics to be a
              betrayal of Orthodoxy.

              Secondly, since every session of the Council opened with a joint prayer,
              St. Mark must be considered to be a betrayer of Orthodoxy for participating
              (or even being present).

              Thirdly, they would claim that the language of respect used by St. Mark
              towards the Pope and other Roman Catholic Prelates during the
              Council (Holy Father, esteemed Brethren in Christ, etc.) to be a betrayal
              of Orthodoxy.

              And, finally, they would consider the Encyclical that St. Mark that he
              penned after the Council, in which he states that Roman Catholics who
              become Orthodox must be received by **Chrismation** (not Baptism) to be a
              betrayal of Orthodoxy.

              With love in Christ,

              Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
            • Michael Nikitin
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8 12:16 AM
                Absolutely incorrect Fr.Alexander. Stop with these heretical insinuations
                Fr.Alexander. You are a priest behave like one.

                If Fr.Alexander read the History he would have known that St. Mark of
                Ephesus did not pray with the heretics.

                I am surprised(I really shouldn't since he's been doing it regularly to
                promote his agenda of ecumenism) that Fr.Alexander has the audacity to
                slander our Saints.

                How can Fr.Alexander say these heretical statements and give spiritual
                advice to his faithful.

                At the time of St. Mark the Roman Catholics had the triple immersion and not
                much had changed as to baptism except they didn't have grace being
                Anathematised. Chrismation was given as economia to impart grace.
                Now the Roman Catholics don't have triple immersion and the baptism has
                changed to the point that ROCOR baptises them.

                Michael N.

                From: "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@...>
                To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:37:56 -0700

                > Blessed is our God!
                >Yes, it would seem that Blessed Mark of Ephesus would be considerd
                >heretical as measured by the standards of those who are more Orthodox than
                >the Church!
                >En Xto,
                >+Emanuel

                Actually, this is absolutely correct.

                First of all, the ultra-fanatical fringe would consider St. Mark's travelto
                Florence/Ferrara in order to dialogue with the Roman Catholics to be a
                betrayal of Orthodoxy.

                Secondly, since every session of the Council opened with a joint prayer,
                St. Mark must be considered to be a betrayer of Orthodoxy for participating
                (or even being present).

                Thirdly, they would claim that the language of respect used by St. Mark
                towards the Pope and other Roman Catholic Prelates during the
                Council (Holy Father, esteemed Brethren in Christ, etc.) to be a betrayal
                of Orthodoxy.

                And, finally, they would consider the Encyclical that St. Mark that he
                penned after the Council, in which he states that Roman Catholics who
                become Orthodox must be received by **Chrismation** (not Baptism) to be a
                betrayal of Orthodoxy.

                With love in Christ,

                Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

              • sergerust2002
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8 2:17 AM
                  Here are some comments on father Alexander's :

                  > First of all, the ultra-fanatical fringe would consider
                  > St. Mark's travel to Florence/Ferrara in order to dialogue
                  > with the Roman Catholics to be a betrayal of Orthodoxy.

                  It is less a matter of «ultra-fanatical fringe» but of Holy
                  Canons :
                  - «Let any Bishop, or Presbyter, or Deacon who only joins in
                  prayer with heretics be excommunicated» (45th Apostolic)
                  - «On must not join in prayer with heretics or schismatics »
                  (33rd Laodicea)

                  > Secondly, since every session of the Council opened
                  > with a joint prayer, St. Mark must be considered to be
                  > a betrayer of Orthodoxy for participating (or even being present).

                  Joint prayer ? The Pope opened the Council (not every session)
                  with «Blessed be the Lord God of Israel!». Some psalms (not
                  prayers) were then sung. Moreover, on their return, the orthodox
                  repented in these terms : «We have sold our faith, we have
                  exchanged Orthodoxy for heterodoxy, and loosing our former pure faith
                  have become azymites. May our hands, which signed the unjust decree
                  be cut off! May our tongues which have spoken consent with the Latins
                  be plucked out!» These were the words of the good but week
                  pastors–
                  Anthony of Heraclea, the oldest members of the Council, and others
                  (Ducas. c.XXXI, p. 120, 121. Ed 1649). These are the words we would
                  expect today - when the apostasy is much bigger - from the Serbian
                  officials and from some of their defenders within ROCOR. Upon their
                  return to Constantinople, "many of the bishops would not
                  officiate together with the new Patriarch [Metrophanes, although he
                  had also repented]; when the Emperor tried to compel them to do so,
                  Mark of Ephesus and Anthony of Heraclea secretly left
                  Constantinople"
                  (The History of the Council of Florence, by Ivan N. Ostroumoff").

                  > And, finally, they would consider the Encyclical that St. Mark
                  > that he penned after the Council, in which he states that
                  > Roman Catholics who become Orthodox must be received
                  > by **Chrismation** (not Baptism) to be a betrayal of Orthodoxy.

                  St Mark wrote: "Avoid brethren such teachers [the Roman
                  Catholics], and all communion with them. They are false apostles,
                  workers of evil transformed into Apostles of Christ ...".

                  Serge Rust
                • pcarp88
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8 9:10 AM
                    Dear Brother Michael,

                    The smoke seems to be rising in the debate over St. Mark, and your
                    comments regarding the integrity of Father L. …"Fr.Alexander. You
                    are a priest behave like one" & "how can Fr.Alexander say these
                    heretical statements and give spiritual advice to his
                    faithful,"…….....would be objectionable in a court of law because
                    they are personal attacks. How would you react to someone who told
                    you, "You're an ORTHODOX LIST member so behave like one!"?

                    If we had enough "unworthy" priests left around the world to serve in
                    our churches, some of our faithful would not need to travel hours to
                    attend services.

                    Nicolai from NY

                  • vkozyreff
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8 3:10 PM
                      Dear List,

                      I totally agree with Nicolai that forms should be respected. I
                      disagree however when he speaks about personal attacks. I do not see
                      any in Michael Nikitin's post.

                      Father Alexander tone too was brisk ("the ultra-fanatical fringe
                      would consider St. Mark's travel to Florence/Ferrara in order to
                      dialogue with the Roman Catholics to be a betrayal of Orthodoxy").

                      One may understand Michael Nikitin's comments on Father Alexander's
                      position, which is (who would deny it) always lenient about
                      ecumenism, and which is unexpected in the orthodox Church. In our
                      days, it seems that taking into account the canons and anathemas
                      makes you a fanatic. You refer to a court of law. Would such a court
                      accept that respecting the law is being part of the ultra-fanatical
                      fringe?

                      Even if one may dispute the tone used, Michael Nikitin's contribution
                      looks important and positive, in this particular case.

                      As you say, we need priests. We need believers as well. Lay people
                      too are the guarantors of the faith. "Neither the hierarchy nor
                      councils could ever introduce novelty, since with us the guardian of
                      piety and faith is the very Body of the Church, i.e., the people
                      themselves." (Encyclical Letter of the Eastern Patriarchs to the
                      Roman Pope in 1848.)

                      I hope that father Alexander will forgive me and I beg his prayers.

                      In God,

                      Vladimir Kozyreff

                    • pcarp88
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 9 5:12 AM
                        Vladimir,
                        I object your Honor! I don't agree with the tone of some forum
                        members who by virtue of their hot headyness believe they are *just*
                        in condemning other members who may *appear* to fault short of
                        following the canons of the church in their dialogue. Father L. may
                        be guilty of the same.

                        My point is ..."The words from the lips of a wise man are gracious"
                        (Eccl. 10:2)

                        Nicolai from NY

                        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "vkozyreff" <vladimir.kozyreff@s...>