Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Vladyka Alypy

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1, 2002
      Father Alexander

      I am afraid we in ROCA have not always treated our ailing Bishops with love
      & respect they
      deserve. Some career minded Fathers have always managed to take advantage
      of the
      particular medical condition a Bishop was/is suffering. This goes for our
      Diocese in
      Australia too. In any case the letter posted by Father John Shaw esewhere
      supports the stance of Vladika
      Alypy and contradicts most of your statement.

      It is indeed diffucult & sad times we are living through. I hope & pray
      that Vladika Alypy will get better
      and be able to continue with his Diocesan duties.

      We all should pray for his complete recovery. Lord have mercy on all of us!

      unworthy protodeacon Basil from Canberra.

      "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@...> on 02/08/2002 01:06:32 AM

      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      cc:
      Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Vladyka Alypy

      I would like to make some comments on this situation, which is causing a
      great deal of controversy and confusion among the faithful.

      First of all, I must state that I know Archbishop Alypy for almost forty
      years and have always been very devoted to him. When I was a Seminarian, I
      used to accompany Fr. Alypy every weekend to the parish in Schenectady,
      which he served, to read and sing (and conduct the choir). Later, we were
      graduate students together at Norwich University for several summers.

      Just before the tragic accident, I had come to Chicago as the guest speaker
      at the Pastoral Conference of the Chicago Archdiocese and spent several
      days with Archbishop Alypy while participating in the Conference and while
      present at the Diocesan Council meeting that followed.

      Regarding his current situation, I believe it is necessary to understand
      the physical and emotional trauma that Archbishop Alypy is going through.
      Although an exemplary monk and spiritual leader, Archbishop Alypy is not
      exempt from the natural human emotions that going through such a tragedy
      bring forth. The classic stages of denial, anger, and depression on the
      path to final acceptance must all be gone through, especially since the
      accident was clearly one that resulted from a personal choice made by
      Archbishop Alypy, who himself decided that he would climb a twelve-foot
      ladder with a saw in order to clear some branches--not a normal task for a
      seventy-five year old Archbishop. When one adds to this the fact that
      Archbishop Alypy, having fallen on his head onto concrete from a
      twelve-foot height, suffered a major concussion with all of the physical
      consequences of that head trauma, then the situation becomes even more
      complicated. And, finally, one must remember that Archbishop Alypy, who had
      always been a fiercely independent person, who always took care of his own
      needs, now, being semi-paralyzed from the waist down, must suffer the
      required personal care performed by others.

      All this has, undoubtedly, affected him, as it would every one of us in a
      similar situation.

      What is clear is that a person in such a vulnerable emotional state is
      particularly susceptible to influence. Certain individuals, among them some
      that Archbishop Alypy had perviously removed from all parish
      responsibilites began to visit him and to persuade him that he should not
      trust the clergy that had been taking care of him, that they were
      attempting to remove him and take over, and that the clergy were preventing
      the Archbishop from returning to his home.

      These individuals were able to influence Archbishop Alypy to the point that
      he signed a document appointing some lay person as his personal
      Representative for Health Care, and removing all of the clergy that had
      been involved in his care previously from being involved in any decisions
      regarding his care, or even receiving reports about his medical condition.

      A certain clergyman who had been officially suspended for serious issues,
      came to Archbishop Alypy and was able to get him to sign a document that
      this clergyman had prepared reversing the suspension.

      It should be noted that Metropolitan Laurus personally visited Archbishop
      Alypy to express his prayers and support, and to better understand his
      condition. Metropolitan Laurus knows Archbishop Alypy for almost 60 years,
      so there is no one who knows him better.

      Metropolitan Laurus expressed his observations to the Synod of Bishops--he
      noticed that Archbishop Alypy demonstrated signs of short-term memory loss
      and some confusion--he would repeat himself and would forget what he had
      just said.

      In order to better understand Archbishop Alypy's condition, the Synod
      decided on a prudent course--to have an assessment made by an independent
      team of neurologists and other medical experts as to the condition, the
      course of further treatment required and the final prognosis. This medical
      team also evaluated the suitability of the Archbishop's residence on Lee
      Street for someone in his condition.

      It was the assessment of the medical commission that Archbishop Alypy
      required more extensive medical care than that which could be provided at
      his home, and that the residence was not the best place for him to be.

      This is actually supported in the Letter of Archbishop Alypy, in which he
      describes how he, upon his return to the residence against the advice of
      this medical condition, had to be carried up and down stairs in a wheel
      chair, which was a grave danger to himself, as well as those carrying him.
      What would have happened if someone carrying him slipped or lost his grip?
      There individuals, in fact, placed him in mortal danger--certainly not the
      best care that he could be given.

      Many people who have written on this issue seem not to understand the
      established procedure in the Orthodox Church (in particular, the Statutes
      of the Russian Orthodox Church) regarding what must be done in the case of
      the incapacity of a Ruling Bishop.

      The Statutes require that in the case of a Ruling Bishop being
      incapacitated for longer than two months, the Synod must appoint another
      Bishop to have responsibility for the administration of the Diocese. The
      Synod also, typically appoints a senior priest in the Diocese to be the
      temporary administrator of the Diocese to manage the day to day affairs
      that do not require episcopal intervention.

      If the incapacity continues for six months or more, the Synod has the
      authority to retire the Ruling Bishop for health reasons and appoint
      another.

      And, contrary to what some may have understood, incapacity in the eyes of
      the Church does not mean unconciousness or mental disability, in addition
      to severe physical disability. It means, simply, being unable to perform
      the duties of a Ruling Bishop--among which a primary one is the ability to
      serve Liturgy, without which the bishop cannot perform ordinations.

      Very simply, a bishop who cannot serve Divine Liturgy **cannot**, by Church
      rules, continue to be a Ruling Bishop, no matter how clear his head may be.

      This situation was also the same in the case of Metropolitan Vitaly, who,
      for reasons of health, was unable to serve Divine Liturgy for a period of
      two or three years before his retirement.

      In the case of Archbishop Alypy, the appointment by the Synod of Fr. Pablo
      Iwasciewiec as Diocesan Administrator was completely canonical, and, in
      fact, required by the Statutes. It was in no way an attempt by Bishop
      Gabriel or Fr. Pablo to "take over the Diocese" or to "get rid of
      Archbsihop Alypy,"--simply a statutory administrative requirement, one
      which Archbishop Alypy knew about and had seen being executed in other
      dioceses many times over the past decades.

      The Letter of Archbishop Alypy that has been recently posted to the
      Internet is troublesome on many levels.

      I know Archbishop Alypy well, and I am convinced that Archbishop Alypy, if
      he were not in a vulnerable emotional state caused by his physical
      disability, would never have written such a letter.

      He has always been a most obedient monastic and totally loyal to the Synod
      of Bishops and he would never have threatened legal action against it.

      He would never allow anyone in the parish to see or receive copies of a
      letter that he sent to the Synod of Bishops complaining of any perceived
      injustice being done to him. He would consider such problems as being
      solely between him and his brother bishops--and not something that was to
      be brought out into the forum of public opinion.

      For this reason, the letter itself is a convincing testament to the fragile
      emotional state of Archbishop Alypy.

      If he was "helped" to write this letter by others, then he is clearly
      susceptible to their influence. Even if he himself, when asked, states that
      this letter is genuine, this cannot, in such a case, be accepted as a true
      validation.

      If he wrote it himself, then this proves that his emotional state is even
      more vulnerable, since he, in his normal pre-trauma state, would never have
      dreamed of writing a letter attacking his Synod, his fellow bishops, his
      own clergy, threatening legal action, and, especially, violating the
      confidentiality of inter-episcopal communication, allowing this letter to
      be disseminated among the flock.

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

    • kyracash@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 5, 2002
        I agree with you totally. This should never have been brought to everyone's
        eyes so that everyone can sin. I originally posted the letter Vladika had
        translated into English because he wanted everyone to know. Instead, why he
        couldn't sit down with Father Paul. After all, isn't he the Bishop. Instead
        everyone is now falling into sin, taking sides, saying nasty things to each
        other. I am no longer regularly attending the church because of all the
        hatred. Bishop has turned aagainst Bishop, Priest against priest, parishoner
        against parishoner. Now maybe you can undrstand why I would not want to be
        led by a Bishop and priest that cause me to fall into sin and choose sides on
        their behalf. I choose the side of Christ and will pray for them all at a
        Greek church. When I heard the Bishop calling a rally against Father Paul
        and Father Paul was out of town and could not defend himself and then a week
        prior Father Paul said Vladika was saying wrong things about him it saddened
        me that who I sought once for spiritual advice were now blind to their own
        desires and egos.

      • Margaret Lark
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 5, 2002
          From: kyracash@...
          Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:02:39 EDT

          >....I would not want to be
          >led by a Bishop and priest that cause me to fall into sin and choose sides on
          >their behalf. I choose the side of Christ and will pray for them all at a
          >Greek church....

          Well, kiddo....

          If you can handle being told that the fast is "man-made" and that it's sufficient to observe it by fasting from meat only, or even that we should just fast on Wednesdays and Fridays - during Great Lent, let alone the Dormition fast - or March 25 dinner-dances, complete with roast lamb.... Hey, be my guest. After 11 years, I've had enough, and am affiliating with ROCOR.

          As for the sniping and back-biting - I've come to see, that's human nature. Greeks are NOT immune. We all fall, we all struggle to get up, we all fall again, we all struggle to get up again. Thanks be to God that He is there to help us when we try to get up again.

          Margaret the sinner

          Glory to God for all things!
          --
        • pcarp88
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 6, 2002
            As a brand new ROCOR forum member, I don't know who Father Paul is or
            the ruling Bishop is or what the circumstances of the conflict
            between them that you are describing entail. But I do know this, all
            Bishops, Priests, Monastics, and Parishioners "fall into sin". So
            why is it that you've decided to attend a Greek Church?

            "For when a man is piously disposed towards the Priest, he is much
            more towards God. And even if the Priest be wicked, God seeing that
            thou respectest him, though unworthy of honor, through reverence to
            Him, will Himself reward thee. For if `he that receiveth a prophet
            in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward' (Matt. X.
            41); then he who honoreth and submitteth and giveth way to the Priest
            shall certainly be rewarded." St. John Chrysostom, Homily II (2
            Timothy i. 8-10), p 481, from The Nicene and Post Nicene Fathers,
            Volume XIII, William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, Grand Rapids
            Michigan. Reprinted July 1979. Available from the Holy Trinity
            Monastery Book Store, Jordanville, N.Y.

            --- In orthodox-synod@y..., kyracash@a... wrote:
            > I agree with you totally. This should never have been brought to
            everyone's
            > eyes so that everyone can sin. I originally posted the letter
            Vladika had
            > translated into English because he wanted everyone to know.
            Instead, why he
            > couldn't sit down with Father Paul. After all, isn't he the
            Bishop. Instead
            > everyone is now falling into sin, taking sides, saying nasty things
            to each
            > other. I am no longer regularly attending the church because of
            all the
            > hatred. Bishop has turned aagainst Bishop, Priest against priest,
            parishoner
            > against parishoner. Now maybe you can undrstand why I would not
            want to be
            > led by a Bishop and priest that cause me to fall into sin and
            choose sides on
            > their behalf. I choose the side of Christ and will pray for them
            all at a
            > Greek church. When I heard the Bishop calling a rally against
            Father Paul
            > and Father Paul was out of town and could not defend himself and
            then a week
            > prior Father Paul said Vladika was saying wrong things about him it
            saddened
            > me that who I sought once for spiritual advice were now blind to
            their own
            > desires and egos.

          • szmyte
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 7, 2002
              I am deeply appalled at the current state of affairs in my parish,
              the Holy Virgin Protection Cathedral in Chicago, Illinois.
              Unfortunately, I find Reverend Father Alexander Lebedeff's letter to
              be of little consolation, and, on the contrary, more of a
              contribution to the controversy and confusion among the faithful.

              Father Alexander's letter is quite persuasively written, if one were
              to accept the premise that Archbishop Alypy is of questionable mental
              health. This seems to be the foundation of Father's commentary.
              This view is presented early in the letter with a tone imploring the
              reader – ironically enough – to show compassion and empathize: "…it
              is necessary to understand the physical and emotional trauma that
              Archbishop Alypy is going through." Father continues to hint at this
              dubious state of mind by suggesting that sawing branches at seventy-
              five shows poor judgement. This comes despite the later
              acknowledgement (to contrast how distraught Vladyka must feel now)
              that Vladyka was always fiercely independent and took care of his own
              needs. This theme is carried throughout the letter, ultimately
              degrading into the suggestion that parishioners are influencing our
              Archbishop and finally knotting itself into a tautology, in which any
              action by Vladyka Alypy can be construed as proof of emotional
              imbalance.

              Apparently the only sane choice Vladyka was expected to make would
              have been to allow questionable (certainly not compassionate,
              disputably empathetic, allegedly illegal) behavior to continue
              unanswered. As for the way in which Vladyka expressed this, I can
              only say that in my shock over reading our Archbishop's letter, I
              recalled the shocking manner in which our Lord Jesus Christ dealt
              with deplorable behavior at the temple. In light of this, there may
              be a case for such a method to expose shameless conduct. I, myself,
              am weary of such comparisons and the objections some may have to
              them, but if I can clarify…What type of conduct is there at our
              temple? As an example, on 4 August 2002, armed police were summoned
              into our temple during Divine Liturgy in accordance with restraining
              orders placed on parishioners during this "temporary
              administration". If this is a sign of things to come with our
              provisional "deanery" with Father Paul Iwaszewicz, ** in absentia
              already for weeks **, I can only implore your prayers. In addition,
              heated talk of physical violence could be heard on the parish grounds
              against those that support Archbishop Alypy and empathize with his
              situation. Is this the preferred state of affairs for Orthodox
              Christians in our Diocese? I should hope this is not what the Most
              Reverend Synod of Bishops had in mind during their, as Father
              Lebedeff put it, prudent course-charting.

              Administrative appointments aside, if Vladyka's residence was deemed
              unsuitable for his medical condition, what bothers me as a simple
              parishioner is to what extent research was done into improving it and
              making it an acceptable location. Everyone in our parish can
              speculate at the great costs the parish recently incurred for the
              extensive improvements in making Father Paul Iwaszewicz's residence
              suitable for his large family of eight. Vladyka's situation seems to
              be improving so rapidly that, by contrast, some investments (house or
              care) would be likely both small and temporary. Some sort of trial
              period could have been postulated at minimum. Instead, it seems
              there was an air of secrecy and hurriedness about this decision to
              keep Vladyka out of his own home (let alone cathedral) for whatever
              reasons. From what one can hear, and from physically seeing and
              hearing Vladyka and listening to his sermons, I can at least
              sympathize with Vladyka's conclusions. If the real issue is
              Vladyka's physical condition, why then is there the impression from
              Vladyka's reaction that he, a high ranking member of the Synod of
              Bishops, was not consulted with about his own future? It seems this
              is more of a riddle (from which certain logical, albeit unproven,
              conclusions can be made) rather than canonical statute?

              I'd like to add that my own father reposed after fighting Alzheimer's
              disease for over 6 years and it was not for several years and total
              incapacitation that the thought of displacing him from his residence
              even occurred to our family. Maybe this is extreme, but something
              approximating this should be the way we treat our spiritual fathers
              as well. Surely not after two months and in such health!

              I believe the details of events outlined in Father Alexander
              Lebedeff's letter are crucial and, frankly, missing. This is likely
              because they are largely unclear to him. This is obviated by the
              speculation at the end that Vladyka was "helped" in writing his
              letter and even-if-he-wasn't-but-says-he-was logic, etc. I believe
              Father's intention to explain this complicated issue from afar only
              served to perpetuate the speculation and forward the already much
              propagandized view against the Right Reverend Archbishop Alypy – a
              view Vladyka is so emphatically trying to expose as an injustice,
              that it is irresponsible not to listen to or investigate what he is
              saying simply because of the way he is saying it.
              I invoke the lesson of my patron Saint Thomas not just to believe,
              but to verify as well.

              I ask for your sincere prayers for Vladyka Alypy, our cathedral, the
              entirety of its clergy and parishioners, and for the Chicago-Detroit
              Episcopate.

              Eric (Thomas) Szmyt

              --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@w...>

            • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 7, 2002
                Kyra Cash wrote:

                >I agree with you totally. This should never have been brought to everyone's
                >eyes so that everyone can sin. I originally posted the letter Vladika had
                >translated into English because he wanted everyone to know. Instead, why he
                >couldn't sit down with Father Paul. After all, isn't he the Bishop. Instead
                >everyone is now falling into sin, taking sides, saying nasty things to each
                >other. I am no longer regularly attending the church because of all the
                >hatred. Bishop has turned aagainst Bishop, Priest against priest, parishoner
                >against parishoner. Now maybe you can undrstand why I would not want to be
                >led by a Bishop and priest that cause me to fall into sin and choose sides on
                >their behalf. I choose the side of Christ and will pray for them all at a
                >Greek church. When I heard the Bishop calling a rally against Father Paul
                >and Father Paul was out of town and could not defend himself and then a week
                >prior Father Paul said Vladika was saying wrong things about him it saddened
                >me that who I sought once for spiritual advice were now blind to their own
                >desires and egos.

                I must say that I am very impressed with the frankness of Kyra's statement
                and her sincerity.

                At a time when others are trying to use the tragic situation in Chicago as
                an excuse to heap more invective on the Synod of Bishops of the Church
                Abroad in order to justify their own schismatic actions, Kyra has "hit the
                nail on the head."

                She is absolutely correct that these situations should not be handled by
                "Open Letters" and public meetings--all this causes untold grief, as it
                forces people to take sides and breeds distrust, enmity, nam-calling, and
                worse.

                The matter is onc for the Bishops of the Synod to decide--they are the ones
                who appointed Archbishop Alypy to his position as Ruling Bishop--and it is
                to the Synod of Bishops that Archbishop Alypy has sworn obedience and fealty.

                The decision regarding his ability to administer the Diocese while being
                physically incapacitated is not his to make--nor is it a decision that a
                Parish meeting can make--it is a decision that can only be made by the
                Synod of Bishops.

                Thank you, Kyra, for your perception of the situation.

                With love in Christ,

                Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
              • Margaret Lark
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 8, 2002
                  From: "szmyte" <szmyte@...>
                  Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:37:12 -0000

                  >Father Alexander's letter is quite persuasively written, if one were
                  >to accept the premise that Archbishop Alypy is of questionable mental
                  >health. This seems to be the foundation of Father's commentary.
                  >This view is presented early in the letter with a tone imploring the
                  >reader – ironically enough – to show compassion and empathize: "…it
                  >is necessary to understand the physical and emotional trauma that
                  >Archbishop Alypy is going through." Father continues to hint at this
                  >dubious state of mind by suggesting that sawing branches at seventy-
                  >five shows poor judgement....

                  I didn't get this out of Father Alexander's letter at all. As I understood it, the Archbishop was sawing branches off his tree when he fell off the ladder and injured himself seriously. If that isn't enough to cause "physical and emotional trauma," I don't know what is.

                  Pardon my asking an ignorant question, but: Why would anyone want to depose the Archbishop? Outside of the obvious (worldly) reasons, the only reason I can think of is some kind of involvement, on *someone's* part, with the Mansonville mess?

                  Margaret the sinner

                  Glory to God for all things!
                  --
                • kyracash@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 8, 2002
                    Thank you. But I am not that strong. As I mentioned, I can't buy a candle
                    without hearing people's sides and anger toward each other. No matter where
                    I stand in the church people are opening discussing the situation during the
                    liturgy. We are all sinful, but I don't need to attend a church where the
                    clergy seems to find nothing wrong with this and in fact incites this
                    behavior. I have heard Father Paul has left anyway before they were able to
                    lynch him. I feel bad for the next priest that comes in.

                  • Sandra Thompson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 8, 2002
                      > I have heard Father Paul has left anyway Where did he go?

                    • szmyte
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 9, 2002
                        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., kyracash@a... wrote:

                        > I have heard Father Paul has left anyway before they were able to
                        > lynch him. I feel bad for the next priest that comes in.

                        The whole issue is scandalous enough without this type of unwarranted
                        sensationalism.
                      • szmyte
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 9, 2002
                          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Margaret Lark" <skovranok@t...> wrote:

                          [from Eric Szmyt's response to Fr. Alexander's letter:]
                          > >"…it is necessary to understand the physical and emotional
                          > >trauma that Archbishop Alypy is going through." Father continues
                          > >to hint at this dubious state of mind [...etc.]

                          [Margaret Lark's reaction:]

                          > I didn't get this out of Father Alexander's letter at all. As I
                          > understood it, the Archbishop was sawing branches off his tree when
                          > he fell off the ladder and injured himself seriously. If that
                          > isn't enough to cause "physical and emotional trauma," I don't know
                          > what is.

                          It is unacceptable reasoning to make such a statement about how
                          someone else is feeling based on what we *think* that person should
                          be going through.

                          As for physical trauma: Please don't misunderstand what I was
                          saying. Without doubt, Vladyka's fall produced an immediate
                          physical effect, but there is such a process as therapy and
                          recuperation. We are going on 4 months since the accident, and
                          Archbishop Alypy's progress has greatly impressed doctors. Father
                          Alexander's letter was written just the other day, but not having
                          personally seen Vladyka since the accident, Father's comments are
                          dependent on the accuracy of the information he receives, which is
                          part of the root of this whole issue.

                          As for emotional trauma: Who can speculate? The life of a monk is
                          one of strict discipline. And for an Archbishop living the vast
                          majority of his life within these spiritual guidelines and devotion
                          to God, rejoicing in the life given by God, despite suffering, who
                          can say how much or how long or even if there is emotional trauma
                          associated with the accident? If the thinking behind "emotional
                          trauma" is that Vladyka's mental faculties were effected by
                          the fall, this is totally not the case and never has been. The impact
                          compressed Vladyka's spine and injured one of the lower
                          vertebrae. Despite the fact that Vladyka fell directly on his head,
                          astonishingly there was only a surface wound with no internal injury
                          to the brain. Vladyka currently continues to deliver sermons at
                          Divine Liturgy (without preparing them on paper to be read as well).

                          In short, it is presumptuous to speak on behalf of Vladyka with
                          regard to his state of mind.

                          As far as I can tell, the behavior of his subordinates is more
                          frustrating to Vladyka Alypy than is his personal state as a result
                          of the accident. It is sad that the Orthodox hierarchy is apparently
                          so turned upside-down that priests may be in control of disseminating
                          misleading information about Archbishops.

                          > Pardon my asking an ignorant question, but: Why would anyone want
                          > to depose the Archbishop? Outside of the obvious (worldly)
                          > reasons, the only reason I can think of is some kind of
                          > involvement, on *someone's* part, with the Mansonville mess?

                          As for why someone would want to depose the Archbishop: Who knows?
                          Why do we sin? We know it is wrong in the eyes of God, and yet we do
                          so. To paraphrase what you've stated in a previous letter: we all
                          fall, get up, try to do better, and yet we fall again. As for your
                          postulation about the Mansonville mess, well, Father Paul Iwaszewicz
                          and the attempted move of a high-ranking Synod member *are* both
                          common denominators. That's not to say that proves any
                          connection,
                          though. The fact that he was present, however, may say something
                          about Father's character and zealousness for this type of
                          activity.

                          In Christ,

                          Eric (Thomas) Szmyt
                        • kyracash@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 21, 2002
                            Dear Brother:
                            If you attended the Cathedral as long as I have you will see how factions got
                            together to help oust a priest they didn't like. It is not sensationalism it
                            is the truth. I attended services Mon. only because my 89 year old
                            grandmother wanted to go and the choir director came over to my car and asked
                            my passenger, not my grandmother whose side are you on. Before she commented
                            I said I was on the side of Christ. He said don't you support Vladika and
                            she said yes. He exclaimed good and was satisfied that another person was on
                            their side. Brother against brother. Instead of keeping this between
                            Vladika and Father Paul the whole church is divided now because meetings were
                            held against Father Paul with the Bishop and parishoners. Can you imagine if
                            the Lord judged us this way. I still ask and have not received an answer.
                            Why has Metr. Lauras not flown to Mansonville to meet with Metropolitan
                            Vitaly. If he can meet with the Serbs why can he not meet with our
                            Metropolitan.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 21, 2002
                              in Wheaton on the vigil service of Transfiguration. I did not hear this from
                              him but from another parishoner that Vladika Alypy is not giving him a letter
                              of recommendation to leave the Cathedral where the parishoners have rose up
                              against him without him being there to accept or deny their allegations. I
                              don't know if him and his family of six is in limbo now. I asked one
                              parishoner at the Cathedral if people want him out why don't we help him find
                              another parish and that started a whole other disagreement.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 21, 2002
                                Kyra's commenst are right on the mark.

                                It seems foolish to blame Fr. Pablo Iwaszczewicz alone for the problems and
                                tensions at the Chicago Cathedral.

                                Actually, over the past not too many years, two other young, talented
                                priests, also graduates of Holy Trinity Seminary in Jordanville, have had
                                their lives made miserable by the same group causing problems for Fr.
                                Pablo--and had to leave the parish because of the attacks against them and
                                their families.

                                Fr. Vladimir Boikov lasted four years.

                                And Fr. Andrei Sommers lasted five--and was hounded out just after he had
                                successfully organized and ran the All-Diasporan Youth Conference--a
                                significant accomplishment.

                                Fr. Pablo Iwaszewicz has lasted only two years before he has faced the same
                                problems.

                                I pity the next young, educated, pious, and idealistic priest who will
                                receive the Chicago cathedral assignment.

                                And please note that the problems encountered by Frs. Vladimir and Andrei
                                came long before the retirement of Metropolitan Vitaly, so what happened to
                                him cannot at all be considered as being the underlying cause of the
                                current conflict.

                                With love in Christ,

                                Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 22, 2002
                                  Fr. Alexander Lebedeff wrote:

                                  > Kyra's commenst are right on the mark.

                                  Please note that it was Kyra who first put Vl. Alypy's letter on the
                                  internet, and, while she felt Vladyka was the "underdog", wrote in a
                                  tone suggesting support for him.

                                  > It seems foolish to blame Fr. Pablo Iwaszczewicz alone for the
                                  problems and
                                  > tensions at the Chicago Cathedral.

                                  Of course, Fr. Pablo has some important allies, some of them bishops,
                                  who have involved themselves directly.

                                  > Actually, over the past not too many years, two other young,
                                  talented
                                  > priests, also graduates of Holy Trinity Seminary in Jordanville, have
                                  had
                                  > their lives made miserable by the same group causing problems for Fr.
                                  > Pablo...

                                  Yes, but what "group" is that? Those supporting Vl. Alypy were not (and
                                  in fact, still are not), a united "group". There are, however, various
                                  people, some of whom have now become friends, who became concerned
                                  early on about what Fr. Pablo was doing.

                                  --and had to leave the parish because of the attacks against them and
                                  > their families.

                                  I suspect that is at least a slight exaggeration.

                                  > Fr. Vladimir Boikov lasted four years.

                                  I lasted, as you may recall, *15* years in that parish. Consequently I
                                  know something about the situation there...

                                  When I was reassigned to Milwaukee rather suddenly, I too had many
                                  people who were sorry to see me go; some of them seem now to make
                                  a "connection" between that and the case of Fr. Pablo, and to support
                                  him. It is interesting that Fr. Alexander, nevertheless, did not
                                  say "*three* other priests"--and I was 29 when I arrived in Chicago--
                                  except that, of course, by now he probably is aware that I disagree
                                  with his statements about the Chicago cathedral.

                                  > And Fr. Andrei Sommers lasted five--and was hounded out just after he
                                  had
                                  > successfully organized and ran the All-Diasporan Youth Conference--a
                                  > significant accomplishment.

                                  Was he really "hounded out"--or did he simply grow weary of the general
                                  atmosphere in the Chicago cathedral?

                                  > Fr. Pablo Iwaszewicz has lasted only two years before he has faced
                                  the same
                                  > problems.

                                  Actually, I think he brought the problems with him when he came.

                                  > I pity the next young, educated, pious, and idealistic priest who
                                  will
                                  > receive the Chicago cathedral assignment.

                                  And I pity the parish that Fr. Pablo goes to next, although it would be
                                  selfish of me only to rejoice if, in fact, he does give up his vow to
                                  battle Vl. Alypy to the bitter end.

                                  > And please note that the problems encountered by Frs. Vladimir and
                                  Andrei
                                  > came long before the retirement of Metropolitan Vitaly, so what
                                  happened to
                                  > him cannot at all be considered as being the underlying cause of the
                                  > current conflict.

                                  Here I of course agree with Fr. Alexander. But since Fr. Pablo was
                                  *also involved* in the unpleasant confrontation in Mansonville, and,
                                  moreover, wrote a denunciation of Bishop Michael that resulted in the
                                  latter's being removed from his diocese, some people do make the wrong
                                  connections between the two situations.

                                  Yet there would be no conflict at all if Fr. Pablo decided to stop it.

                                • Hristofor
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 22, 2002
                                    Please remember in your prayers and at liturgy the newly departed servant
                                    of God, Alexey (Borisovich Jordan), who peacefully reposed in the Lord
                                    early in the morning of 8/13 August.

                                    Tsarstvo jemu nebesnoje i vjechnaja pamjat!

                                    Hristofor
                                  • szmyte
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 22, 2002
                                      In the search for truth many are discussing this issue, be it on the
                                      church grounds or here on the web.

                                      Please forgive me for taking issue with some statements in your
                                      letter, but they called to my conscience for some response.

                                      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., kyracash@a... wrote:
                                      > If you attended the Cathedral as long as I have you will see how
                                      > factions got together to help oust a priest they didn't like.

                                      This is not merely an issue of like or dislike based on subjective
                                      impressions. The central question revolves around the morality (and
                                      legality and canonical adherence) of a clergyman's behavior. In
                                      your years at the cathedral, the switch from parishioners ousting a
                                      priest to a priest ousting an Archbishop must be very distressing to
                                      witness, indeed.

                                      > It is not sensationalism it is the truth.

                                      The use of the term "lynch" **is** sensationalist. And may
                                      God grant us to live to the next priest. In the meantime, we should
                                      be concerned about the current situation.

                                      > I attended services Mon. only because my 89 year old grandmother
                                      > wanted to go and the choir director came over to my car and asked
                                      > my passenger, not my grandmother whose side are you on. Before she
                                      > commented I said I was on the side of Christ. He said don't you
                                      > support Vladika and she said yes. He exclaimed good and was
                                      > satisfied that another person was on their side. Brother against
                                      > brother.

                                      I understand your concern about all this happening in our parish, but
                                      this may be one of the tests God has for us.

                                      It is the nature of our Orthodox Christian struggle constantly to be
                                      answering the question (or a form of it): "Which side am I
                                      on?" And it will be asked either explicitly or implicitly from
                                      now through the day of Judgement.

                                      > Instead of keeping this between Vladika and Father Paul the whole
                                      > church is divided now because meetings were held against Father
                                      > Paul with the Bishop and parishoners.

                                      If this was kept between Vladyka and Fr. Paul, there would be no
                                      issue, correct. Archbishop Alypy would have been quietly shipped off
                                      to some home. We should not be so prepared to sacrifice truth and
                                      justice for comfort in togetherness.

                                      > Can you imagine if the Lord judged us this way.

                                      According to a recent sermon of Fr. Paul's, we will be judged (to
                                      simplify somewhat) in accord with our conscience. We will look down
                                      at the garment of our souls and occupy the side in the afterlife
                                      dictated by the sins with which we have stained it. You are correct,
                                      the Lord's judgement will be very different. There will be no
                                      fleeing from it.

                                      I continue to pray for our parish, all its clergy and all its
                                      parishioners. And I ask the same of all of you.

                                      In Christ,

                                      Eric (Thomas) Szmyt
                                    • Fr. Anthony Nelson
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 22, 2002
                                        szmyte@... wrote:

                                        >Please forgive me for taking issue with some statements in your
                                        >letter, but they called to my conscience for some response.

                                        There is much in all of this that calls out to our consciences.

                                        >This is not merely an issue of like or dislike based on subjective
                                        >impressions. The central question revolves around the morality (and
                                        >legality and canonical adherence) of a clergyman's behavior. In
                                        >your years at the cathedral, the switch from parishioners ousting a
                                        >priest to a priest ousting an Archbishop must be very distressing to
                                        >witness, indeed.

                                        This is the crux of the matter. Our Vladyka has been abused - there is no
                                        other understanding possible. Thanks to those faithful ones who stepped in
                                        and gave their faithful support to our Archbishop. The disinformation
                                        spread about him and his condition was like a poison in the water of the
                                        spiritual life of this diocese and of our Russian Orthodox Church. Those
                                        who kept in touch with Vladyka personally or through others doing so were -
                                        Slava Bogu! - able to head off the attempted marginalization and even
                                        effective destruction of his archpastoral ministry to us who have so
                                        greatly benefited by it.

                                        If there can be something good said about this whole machination of the
                                        Evil One, it is that Vladyka Alypy demonstrated once again his blessed
                                        character by his merciful handling of the situation and those who
                                        perpetrated it.

                                        Fr. Anthony

                                        Fr. Anthony Nelson * Emergency Cell Phone Email:
                                        St. Benedict Orthodox Church (ROCOR) * Up to 160 characters maximum
                                        Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441 * total allowed including return
                                        mailto:fr.anthony@... * address and Subject headers.
                                        http://www.orthodox.org/stbenedict/ * mailto:fra-mobile@...