The Saints of America

  • nectarios@iveron.org
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2002
      Someone had asked me who all the Orthodox saints in America were, I think it was on this list? Perhaps Ustav...

      Oh well, here it is anyway.. Am I missing anyone?

      Rdr. Nectarios
      Holy Theotokos of Iveron Russian Orthodox Church
      Honolulu, HI.

      The Saints of America

      Saint Innocent of Alaska, Metropolitan of Moscow, Enlightener of America and Equal of the Apostles

      Saint Herman the Wonderworker of Alaska (December 12)

      Saint John the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Shanghai and San Francisco (June 19)

      Saint Nikolai (Velimirovich) Bishop of Zica "The New Serbian Chrysostom" Author of the "Prologue of Ochrid" (May 5)

      Saint Peter the Aleut Protomartyr of California and America

      Saint Juvenaly the Protomartyr of America and Bishop of Alaska

      Saint Tikhon the Confessor Patriarch of Moscow

      Saint Raphael (Hawaweeny) Bishop of Brooklyn (February 27)

      Saint Alexis (Toth) of Wilkes-Barre (April 24)

      Saint Jacob (Netsvetov) of Alaska

      Saint John (Kochurov) of Tsarskoye-Selo; Missionary of America and First Hieromartyr of the evil Communist Yoke (October 31)

      Hieromartyr Alexander (Hotovitsky) the Passion-bearer and New Martyr of Russia

      *Not official Saints as of yet

      *Blessed Philaret Metropolitan of New York; First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad and Defender of Orthodoxy

      *Blessed Hieromonk Seraphim (Rose) of California

      *Blessed Martyred Brother Jose Munoz-Cortez of Montreal "Ambrose, in the Monastic Veil", the Chosen One of Mother of God, and Keeper of the Miraculous Myrrh-Streaming Iveron Icon of the Theotokos

      *Blessed Matushka Olga (Michael) of Kwethluk, Alaska

      *Blessed John (Korchinsky) Protopresbyter and Missionary to America, Canada and Hawaii - Martyred in Odessa

      *Blessed Maria (Skobtsóva) of Paris, Beloved Martyr of Ravensbrück

    • Joachim Wertz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2002
        For St. Nikolai (Velimirovich) it should be MARCH 5/18, not May.

        ----------
        From: <nectarios@...>
        To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [orthodox-synod] The Saints of America
        Date: Tue, Jul 30, 2002, 4:11 PM

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Click here to find your contact lenses!

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Joseph Digrande
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2002
          What is the story of Mat. Olga of Kwewthluk, Ak? Is
          the OCA thinking of canonizing her? Who has details
          about her. I was in Kwewthluk once in the late 80's/
          joseph digrande

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • tallscapes@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2002
            > > *Blessed Maria (Skobtsóva) of Paris, Beloved Martyr
            > > of Ravensbrück

            Greetings,
            Please explain the relevance of Maria Skobtsova as a potential saint for
            North America. All the others have some specific connection to North America
            (for
            example Vl St Nikolai lived here and reposed here). I am lacking this
            information.
            Peter Brandt-Sorheim

            +++ Sooft ich auch zu Dir um Hilfe rufe, Du hörst mich in Deinem Heiligtum,
            von Deinem Berg her schichst Du mir Antwort. Ganz ruhig kann ich mich
            schlafen legen, weil Du mich beschützt bis ich morgens erwache.
            +++ Voce mea ad Dóminum clamávi, et exaudívit me de monte sancto suo. Ego
            decúbui et obdormívi; exsurréxi. quia Dóminus susténtat me.
            +++ With my voice I cry unto the Lord and from His holy mountain He hears
            me. I lay me down and sleep; in the morning I arise for Thou dost keep me.

          • nectarios@iveron.org
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1 11:37 AM
              She isn't, I forgot to delete her from the list...