RE: [orthodox-synod] He Who Restraineth

  • Evelyn Hunter
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 14, 2002
      Good Morning John,

      May I use your post in one of our parish newsletters? I would like
      something to include in a write-up I want to do about Tsar Nicholas. Our
      circulation is very small, but, I know some people (especially non-Russians)
      would like a better grasp on this!

      May I?

      In Christ,
      Evgenia

    • Fr. George Primak
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 14, 2002
        Dear Fr. Alexander,
        I am wondering why are you trying so eagerly to convince us that the MP is a
        true Russian Orthodox Church? You know perfectly well that the recognition
        of the Holy Zar Nikolas and His family as martirs was done only by people's
        pressure. If there was not such pressure they wouldn't do it. Maybe I am an
        old fashined but I still stick to the Apostolic and Ecumenical Council's
        rules which fill me witl a lot of doubts with regards to your arguments in
        favour of MP.
        With love in Christ,
        Fr. George
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 14, 2002
          I was also wondering if I might be able to use
          portions of what you've written for my webpage...
          Thanks,
          P. Joshua

          http://autos.yahoo.com
        • rdrjohn2000
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 14, 2002
            Dear Evgenia,

            I am honored with your request. Of course you may use the essay.
            However, I am going to post a more polished version in time for the
            vigil for the Royal Martyrs (I'll post it sometime Tuesday).

            In Christ,

            Rdr JOhn

            Service.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Joseph Digrande
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 14, 2002
              There is another point to Father Alexander's post:
              All of the quotes he used from the ROCOR bishops (if
              ture) could be just a huge mistake like the mistake of
              recognizing the sacraments and clergy of someone like
              Meletius in the 20's or Bartholemew now. In effect for
              the ROCOR that Father Alexander portrays- being a
              Mason like Meletius is of no importance with regard to
              the question of grace and so Alexi being in the KGB is
              of no great importance either.
              Another point he omits: the Catacomb Church as of 1933
              was in open theological warfare with the MP- some of
              their major hierarchs said they had no grace(St.
              Joseph of Petrograd)and forbid them from entering
              their Churches. They compared them to the
              Renovationists of which many were former members. So
              any ROCOR statements by any hierarchs (saints or not-
              after all Blessed Augustine is a saint to and he made
              big mistakes) in 1933 or after that contradicts the
              catacomb Churches ruling is devoid of power. After all
              this is a group of exiled bishops. Lets not make too
              much of them- they O.K.ed New Calendar parishes in
              ROCOR despite 11 separate anathemas by the Ecumenical
              Church. So their absolute authority in the 20th
              century is something to take with a grain of salt.
              Alexi has blood on his hands- repentance verbally is
              only the first step- being busted to a simple monk
              like St. Tikhon did to Sergius of sorry memory is the
              next step- a step that will not be taken.
              Also Sergius in 27 was devoid of the grace to even
              serve. St. Tikhon declared that in public when he
              repented of being a Renovationist. He disobeyed him
              and continued to serve. Anything that ROCOR hierarchs
              said in the intevening years justifiying Sergius and
              his ilk is just plain wrong/ not foolish/ just wrong

              joseph digrande

              === message truncated ===

              http://autos.yahoo.com
            • VJB
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 15, 2002
                Correct me if I am wrong. I was under impression that Sergius repented of Renovationism and submitted his staff to Patriarch Tikhon and the Patriarch personally returned him the staff acknowledging his episcopacy. Let's be accurate.

                St. Tikhon declared that in public when he
                repented of being a Renovationist. He disobeyed him
                and continued to serve. Anything that ROCOR hierarchs
                said in the intevening years justifiying Sergius and
                his ilk is just plain wrong/ not foolish/ just wrong

                joseph digrande

              • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 15, 2002
                  Joseph Digrande wrote:

                  >There is another point to Father Alexander's post:
                  >All of the quotes he used from the ROCOR bishops (if
                  >ture)

                  They are all documented as to source--anyone can easily verify these quotes.

                  >could be just a huge mistake like the mistake of
                  >recognizing the sacraments and clergy of someone like
                  >Meletius in the 20's or Bartholemew now. In effect for
                  >the ROCOR that Father Alexander portrays- being a
                  >Mason like Meletius is of no importance with regard to
                  >the question of grace and so Alexi being in the KGB is
                  >of no great importance either.

                  The ROCOR absolutely considered Meletios (Metaxakis) to have grace, which
                  is confirmed by the fact that Archbishop Anastassy (later Metropolitan),
                  who was living in Constantinople from 1920-1924, commemorated Patriarch
                  Meletios during his entire tenure there.

                  Also, the Church Abroad sent two official representatives--Archbishop
                  Anastassy and Archbishop Alexander to the "Pan-Orthodox Congress" called by
                  Meletios in Constantinople in 1924--the one at which the calendar reform
                  was proposed, among other significant reforms. The representatives of the
                  Church Abroad participated as representatives of the entire Church of
                  Russia at that Congress, since the Church in Russia was not free.

                  >Another point he omits: the Catacomb Church as of 1933
                  >was in open theological warfare with the MP- some of
                  >their major hierarchs said they had no grace(St.
                  >Joseph of Petrograd)and forbid them from entering
                  >their Churches. They compared them to the
                  >Renovationists of which many were former members. So
                  >any ROCOR statements by any hierarchs (saints or not-
                  >after all Blessed Augustine is a saint to and he made
                  >big mistakes) in 1933 or after that contradicts the
                  >catacomb Churches ruling is devoid of power. After all
                  >this is a group of exiled bishops.

                  This makes no sense. First of all, there was **no** entity called "The
                  Catacomb Church"--there were only individual bishops, clergy, and faithful
                  who protested the Declaration of Metr. Sergius and broke communion with
                  him. There were dozens, if not hundreds of groups of catacombniks--most of
                  which had no knowledge of each other or communion with each other, and some
                  had very dubious validity of orders. So--no one was authorized to speak for
                  all of the catacombniks--and they had widely varying views on the presence
                  of grace in Metropolitan Sergius' ecclesiastical organization.

                  The Church Abroad, on the other hand, was the sole free part of the Russian
                  Church--they only part able to speak freely to the world about the
                  persecution of the Church in Soviet Russia.

                  >Lets not make too
                  >much of them- they O.K.ed New Calendar parishes in
                  >ROCOR despite 11 separate anathemas by the Ecumenical
                  >Church. So their absolute authority in the 20th
                  >century is something to take with a grain of salt.

                  The Church Abroad concelebrated with New Calendarists and those Old
                  Calendarists who concelebrated with New Calendarists throughout the entire
                  time of the existense of the New Calendar and up to this day.

                  Metropolitan Anthony (Khrapovitsky) went himself to Bucharest to take part
                  in the enthronization of the New Calendar Patriarch Myron of Romania and
                  celebrated with New Calendarists all the way to the end of his life, as did
                  Metropolitan Anastassy.

                  New Calendarist Metropolitan Anthony (Bashir) of the Antiochian Archdiocese
                  here was consecrated jointly by ROCOR Bishop Vitaly (Maximenko) and New
                  Calendar Bishop Athenagoras (later Patriarch) of the Greek Archdiocese.

                  In 1961, the ROCOR published an Encyclical in which it explicitly stated
                  that New Calendarists had grace.

                  And, for those in the HOCNA who might be interested--the ROCOR had New
                  Calendar parishes and concelebrated openly with New Calendarists at the
                  time that Fr. Panteleimon and his followers joined the ROCOR and throughout
                  the entire time that they were in ROCOR.

                  >Alexi has blood on his hands- repentance verbally is
                  >only the first step- being busted to a simple monk
                  >like St. Tikhon did to Sergius of sorry memory is the
                  >next step- a step that will not be taken.

                  This is again simply historically inaccurate. In fact, exactly the opposite
                  took place.

                  When Patriarch Tikhon was released from imprisonment (after being required
                  to express his support of the New Calendar as a condition of his release),
                  many former Renovationist bishops repented, including Metropolitan Sergius,
                  and asked to be received back.

                  A special order of penitential reception was developed.

                  The repenting bishop would, while wearing just the simple undercassock
                  (podriasnik) be led into the Church just before Divine Liturgy, where
                  Patriarch Tikhon and any other concelebrating bishops and clergy were
                  already vested and waiting on the ambo.

                  The repenting bishop would, in front of the Patriarch, the clergy, and all
                  of the people, would make three full prostration, asking forgiveness of the
                  Patriarch, the clergy, and the people.

                  After this, the Patriarch would himself lead the repenting bishop into the
                  altar, where the repenting bishop would vest in full episcopal vestments
                  and would concelebrate with the Patriarch at the Divine Liturgy.

                  This is exactly what happened with Metropolitan Sergius--after which the
                  Patriarch assigned him as Ruling Bishop of Nizhny-Novgorod--an important see.

                  Metropolitan Sergius was never deposed, defrocked, or retirned to the
                  status of a simple monk. He was, instead, a Ruling Bishop under Patriarch
                  Tikhon until the latter's repose, and then he was appointed as the third
                  successor Deputy Locum Tenens by Metropolitan Peter, who himself had been
                  appointed the third successor Locum Tenens of the Patriarchal Throne by
                  Patriarch Tikhon.

                  >Also Sergius in 27 was devoid of the grace to even
                  >serve. St. Tikhon declared that in public when he
                  >repented of being a Renovationist. He disobeyed him
                  >and continued to serve. Anything that ROCOR hierarchs
                  >said in the intevening years justifiying Sergius and
                  >his ilk is just plain wrong/ not foolish/ just wrong

                  Absolutely incorrect. See above.

                  Metropolitan Sergius, after his repentance, was a Ruling Bishop in good
                  standing under Patriarch Tikhon, and noone doubted the legitimacy of his
                  succession as Deputy Locum Tenens of the Patriarchal Throne.

                  With love in Christ,

                  Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
                • Rd. Constantine Wright
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 15, 2002
                    "Fr. George Primak" <primaks@...> wrote:

                    > true Russian Orthodox Church? You know perfectly well
                    > that the recognition
                    > of the Holy Zar Nikolas and His family as martirs was
                    > done only by people's
                    > pressure. If there was not such pressure they wouldn't
                    > do it. Maybe I am an

                    But the rejection of the false council of Florence was also
                    accomplished in many places by people's pressure.
                    Metropolitan Isidore, on behalf of the Russian Church,
                    signed on to Florence and acknowledged it... but that
                    didn't make the Russian Church of the time graceless and
                    irredeemably fallen.

                    In Christ,
                    Rd. Constantine

                    =====
                    +----------------------------------------------------------+-------+
                    |Reader Constantine Wright St. Lawrence Orthodox Church| |
                    |PO Box 1457, Felton CA 95018 Patriarchate of Jerusalem| IC|XC |
                    |----------------------------------------------------------| ----- |
                    | CHURCH WEBPAGE: http://www.angelfire.com/zine/rocanews | NI|KA |
                    | PERSONAL WEBPAGE: http://constans_wright.tripod.com | |
                    http://autos.yahoo.com
                  • jsbaglien
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 15, 2002
                      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@w...>
                      wrote:

                      > (Patriarch Alexei II) also took upon himself full responsibility
                      > and repented for all actions of himself, and his predecessors in
                      > the compromises they made with the Soviet atheistic government.

                      Father, I was not aware of this statement - can you provide more
                      information on the occasion of these remarks, and if possible, a
                      translation of the text?

                      James Baglien
                      Corvallis, OR
                    • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 15, 2002
                        Regarding:

                        >Father, I was not aware of this statement - can you provide more
                        >information on the occasion of these remarks, and if possible, a
                        >translation of the text?
                        >
                        >James Baglien
                        >Corvallis, OR

                        Sure, James.

                        Here are some quotes from an interview of the head of the MP, Alexis II,
                        given to "Izvestia" No 137, June 10, 1991, entitled "Patriarch Alexis II:
                        -- I Take upon Myself Responsibility for All that Happened":

                        =============================

                        Pat A.: "Being a person of the Church, I must take on myself responsibility
                        for all that occurred in the life of my Church: not only for the good, but
                        also for the difficult, the sorrowful, the erroneous."

                        Regarding the 1927 Declaration of Metropolitan Sergius:

                        Pat. A.: "Today we can say that falsehood is interspersed in his
                        Declaration, which stated as its goal 'placing the Church into proper
                        relations with the Soviet government.' But these relations--and in the
                        Declaration they are clearly defined as the submission of the Church to the
                        interests of governmental politics--are exactly those which are incorrect
                        from the point of view of the Church."

                        And, regarding the statements and activities of the Moscow Patriarchate
                        during the time of the oppression of the Church:

                        Pat. A.: "Of people, then, to whom these compromises, silence, forced
                        passivity or expressions of loyalty that were permitted by the Church
                        leadership in those days, have caused pain -- of these people, not only
                        before God, but also before them, I ask forgiveness, understanding, and
                        prayers."

                        With love in Christ,

                        Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 16, 2002
                          On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Fr. Alexander Lebedeff wrote:

                          > And, for those in the HOCNA who might be interested--the ROCOR had New
                          > Calendar parishes and concelebrated openly with New Calendarists at the
                          > time that Fr. Panteleimon and his followers joined the ROCOR and throughout
                          > the entire time that they were in ROCOR.

                          A vivid enough proof of this is the fact that Panteleimon was
                          received into ROCOR *by canonical transfer* from the Ecumennical
                          Patriarchate.

                        • Hristofor
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 17, 2002
                            I first would like to thank Fr Alexander for his concise and clear
                            postings, which are done for the enlightenment of all, without any emotion
                            or passion, despite numerous provocations to the contrary.

                            A general observation may be made that many believers, whether converts or
                            "cradle Orthodox" (myself included) know very little about the Church (the
                            group of unschooled unfortunately includes some of the clergy; most of the
                            schism ringleaders have never studied at Seminary). Especially little seems
                            to be known about the canons and how the Church hierarchy functions. Often
                            writings or statements of deceased hierarchs are taken out of context to
                            support one point of view, completing ignoring other writings (which might
                            very well indict those who are trying to "save" Orthodoxy). With the advent
                            of the Internet, as we well know from secular life, anyone can post just
                            about anything and it is taken as Gospel Truth, just because it appeared
                            on the Net'. I am glad that a respected clergyman such as Fr Alexander (and
                            others) participate and correct these mistakes, which may of course be
                            simply errors and not purposely posted as "disinformation."

                            I am also amazed to see what may be called a spirit of sectism (dukh
                            sektantsva) creeping into certain postings. It seems that many whom we
                            thought were with us yesterday have somehow been infected by this virus and
                            are no longer with us.

                            My main comment is taking issue with 2 statements posted by Joseph.

                            >There is another point to Father Alexander's post:
                            >All of the quotes he used from the ROCOR bishops (if
                            >ture) could be just a huge mistake like the mistake of
                            >recognizing the sacraments and clergy of someone like
                            >Meletius in the 20's or Bartholemew now.

                            I don't think that it is appropriate to cast doubt in people's minds about
                            the legitimacy of Fr A's postings by saying "All of the quotes ... (if
                            true)". Instead, be thankful to him for replying so quickly with so many
                            citations that we all can benefit from. Do you honestly believe that he sat
                            and down and composed a bunch of phony citations and quotes? And what
                            exactly is meant by "could be just a huge mistake"? The quotes were made by
                            many respected hierarchs through the life of the ROCA. Yes, individuals may
                            have made mistakes; clergymen are not without sin. However, I believe that
                            when the bishops sit down and call upon the Holy Spirit to guide them in
                            their decision making, most times in front of the Miraculous Kursk ikon,
                            that they are truly seeking to make the best decisions and are not
                            purposely attempting to lead people astray, don't you? If you do not
                            believe this and if you believe that everything over the past 80 years was
                            just a huge mistake, what on earth are you doing in the ROCA, if you are
                            indeed a member? I am afraid that you know not what you write; this seems
                            to me a very serious accusation.

                            >So
                            >any ROCOR statements by any hierarchs (saints or not-
                            >after all Blessed Augustine is a saint to and he made
                            >big mistakes) in 1933 or after that contradicts the
                            >catacomb Churches ruling is devoid of power. After all
                            >this is a group of exiled bishops. Lets not make too
                            >much of them- they O.K.ed New Calendar parishes in
                            >ROCOR despite 11 separate anathemas by the Ecumenical
                            >Church. So their absolute authority in the 20th
                            >century is something to take with a grain of salt.

                            Really? Odd, how this "group of exiled bishops" provided at least 2 saints
                            (to our knowledge) to the choir of saints. Odd, how this "big mistake"
                            Church has been blessed with the Kursk Icon, the renewed icon of the Mother
                            of God "Joy of All Who Sorrow", the Iverskaya Icon, the St Nicholas Icon,
                            to name just a few blessings. Odd, how these exiles were always looked up
                            to through the Iron Curtain. Odd, how a monk at St Sergius Lavra asked me
                            to send a message to "Religous Books for Russia" to stop sending books by
                            Frs Meyendorf and Schmeman and to instead send books by Vl Averky and Fr M
                            Pomazansky to the then USSR. Odd, how modern saints from other Orthodox
                            jurisdictions (such as St Justin Popovic and St Nikolaj Velimirovic to name
                            a few) had great respect for the ROCA. (Oh sorry, since they come from the
                            Serbian Church, you may take their opinions with a grain of salt as well.)
                            Could you clarify--with citations--what you mean by "despite 11 separate
                            anathemas by the Ecumenical Church." It is my recollection that the
                            Ecumenical Patriarchate changed the calendar. How could they then go and
                            issue 11 anathemas against something they had done? The monasteries of Mt
                            Athos are under the omophor of the EP. Although they are Old Calendar, they
                            still commemorate the EP. Are they also not Orthodox?

                            >Alexi has blood on his hands- repentance verbally is
                            >only the first step- being busted to a simple monk
                            >like St. Tikhon did to Sergius of sorry memory is the
                            >next step- a step that will not be taken.

                            Don't think it is appropriate language to say that Patriarch Alexei should
                            "be busted". Despite your opinion, he still is a cergyman and deserves to
                            be treated with respect.

                            Sincerely,

                            Hristofor

                          • Joseph Digrande
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 17, 2002
                              Acccording to the eyewitness of the ceremony, Arch.
                              Pitirim, Sergius entered the Church 3 times on his
                              knees begging for forgiveness. All three times the
                              crowd in the Church begged Pat. Tikhon to :"Holy
                              Vladyko, do not believe him>"
                              On the third time Pat. Tikhon said,
                              "The former Met. Sergius as having fallen away into
                              the anti=God heresy of living-Church renovationism,
                              and as having drawn many Orthodox priests, monks and
                              laity into destruction, is to remain for the rest of
                              his life weeping for what he has done and from now on
                              cannot touch church serving, but will remain in the
                              rank of a simple monk."
                              And he instructed him to remain in a certain monastery
                              without departing from it, in complete obedience to
                              the father abbot. And before Christ and His Angels and
                              the Holy Church the former Met. Sergius gave a
                              promises to fulfull everything he had promised
                              exactly. But alas, he immediately deceived the
                              Patriarch, broke his promise to him, boldly trampled
                              on the canons of the Catholic and Apostolic Church. He
                              deceived everyone he could deceive, he declared that
                              he had received complete forgiveness from "His
                              Holiness" and began to serve. IN view fo the canons of
                              the Holy Apostles, Holy Councils and Holy Fathers,
                              after this he is not only considered banned but also
                              completely deposed, even excommunicated...
                              And this deception was successful for in those days
                              that were so difficult for the Church, the voice of
                              His Holiness the Pat could scarcely be heard beyond
                              the Donskoy Monastery where he lived in
                              imprisonment,,,"
                              Joseph digrande
                              --- VJB <venceslav@...> wrote:
                              > Correct me if I am wrong. I was under impression
                              > that Sergius repented of Renovationism and submitted
                              > his staff to Patriarch Tikhon and the Patriarch
                              > personally returned him the staff acknowledging his
                              > episcopacy. Let's be accurate.

                              > St. Tikhon declared that in public when he
                              > repented of being a Renovationist. He disobeyed
                              > him
                              > and continued to serve. Anything that ROCOR
                              > hierarchs
                              > said in the intevening years justifiying Sergius
                              > and
                              > his ilk is just plain wrong/ not foolish/ just
                              > wrong
                              >

                              > joseph digrande

                              > removed]

                              http://autos.yahoo.com
                            • VJB
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 18, 2002
                                Is that why Patriarch appointed him to the Diocese of Nizhniy Novgorod?

                                --- VJB <venceslav@...> wrote:
                                > Correct me if I am wrong. I was under impression
                                > that Sergius repented of Renovationism and submitted
                                > his staff to Patriarch Tikhon and the Patriarch
                                > personally returned him the staff acknowledging his
                                > episcopacy. Let's be accurate.

                                > St. Tikhon declared that in public when he
                                > repented of being a Renovationist. He disobeyed
                                > him
                                > and continued to serve. Anything that ROCOR
                                > hierarchs
                                > said in the intevening years justifiying Sergius
                                > and
                                > his ilk is just plain wrong/ not foolish/ just
                                > wrong
                                >

                                > joseph digrande

                                > removed]

                                http://autos.yahoo.com

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Joseph Digrande
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 18, 2002
                                  Good question/I will have to dig a little to find the
                                  exact date he became the vicar at Nizhniy Novgorod and
                                  how he became one. Also what evidence that the
                                  Communists wer involved in his placement there. The
                                  Patriarch was pretty much a prisoner of the Donskoy
                                  Monastery at that time. I will get back to you with
                                  what I can find/ joseph digrande

                                  http://autos.yahoo.com
                                • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 19, 2002
                                    Joseph Digrande wrote:

                                    >Acccording to the eyewitness of the ceremony, Arch.
                                    >Pitirim, Sergius entered the Church 3 times on his
                                    >knees begging for forgiveness. All three times the
                                    >crowd in the Church begged Pat. Tikhon to :"Holy
                                    >Vladyko, do not believe him>"
                                    >On the third time Pat. Tikhon said,
                                    >"The former Met. Sergius as having fallen away into
                                    >the anti=God heresy of living-Church renovationism,
                                    >and as having drawn many Orthodox priests, monks and
                                    >laity into destruction, is to remain for the rest of
                                    >his life weeping for what he has done and from now on
                                    >cannot touch church serving, but will remain in the
                                    >rank of a simple monk."
                                    >And he instructed him to remain in a certain monastery
                                    >without departing from it, in complete obedience to
                                    >the father abbot. And before Christ and His Angels and
                                    >the Holy Church the former Met. Sergius gave a
                                    >promises to fulfull everything he had promised
                                    >exactly. But alas, he immediately deceived the
                                    >Patriarch, broke his promise to him, boldly trampled
                                    >on the canons of the Catholic and Apostolic Church. He
                                    >deceived everyone he could deceive, he declared that
                                    >he had received complete forgiveness from "His
                                    >Holiness" and began to serve. IN view fo the canons of
                                    >the Holy Apostles, Holy Councils and Holy Fathers,
                                    >after this he is not only considered banned but also
                                    >completely deposed, even excommunicated...
                                    >And this deception was successful for in those days
                                    >that were so difficult for the Church, the voice of
                                    >His Holiness the Pat could scarcely be heard beyond
                                    >the Donskoy Monastery where he lived in
                                    >imprisonment,,,"

                                    This is a complete fabrication and absolutely does not correspond to the
                                    truth. It is a fable--a myth concocted by some fanatical anti-Sergianist.
                                    There were plenty of eyewitnesses to the formal repentance of Metropolitan
                                    Sergius and the full and accurate description was published many times,
                                    including in early ROCOR sources, such as Gleb Rahr's "Subjugated Church."

                                    And what is clear is that Patriarch Tikhon accepted Metr. Sergius's
                                    repentance and personally assisted in vesting him in full vestments of a
                                    Metropolitan and immediately concelebrated Divine Liturgy with him.

                                    There are obvious errors in the narrative presented by Joseph--such as "he
                                    entered the Church 3 times on his knees begging forgiveness" when the
                                    actual procedure of repentance was that the penitent would, inside the
                                    Church, make three full prostrations, asking forgiveness of the Patriarch,
                                    the clergy, and the faithful.

                                    The most telling error is that it states that Patriarch Tikhon, at that
                                    time, "lived in imprisonment," when it is known that Patriarch Tikhon was
                                    released from imprisonment in July of 1923 (he had been arrested in May of
                                    1922). After his release in July of 1923 and up to his repose in April,
                                    1924 patriarch Tikhon was not restricted in his ecclesiastical activity--he
                                    traveled freely aroung Moscow, serving at the various Churches and was
                                    extremely active in sermons, letters, appeals, etc., so that it is
                                    ridiculous to state that "his voice could scarcely be heard."

                                    Joseph later posted regarding Metropolitan Sergius appointment:

                                    >Good question/I will have to dig a little to find the
                                    >exact date he became the vicar at Nizhniy Novgorod and
                                    >how he became one. Also what evidence that the
                                    >Communists wer involved in his placement there. The
                                    >Patriarch was pretty much a prisoner of the Donskoy
                                    >Monastery at that time. I will get back to you with
                                    >what I can find/ joseph digrande

                                    First of all, Metr. Sergius was not appointed "vicar" at Nizny Novgorod.
                                    That was not a vicariate, but a major Metropolitan See, where he was
                                    appointed Ruling Bishop.

                                    Historical evidence is plentiful on this issue.

                                    Metr. Sergius was in the Renovationist schism from the middle of 1922 to
                                    the beginning of 1924.

                                    Immediately after his repentance, Metr. Sergius was appointed by Patriarch
                                    Tikhon to the see of Nizhny Novgorod (the exact date was March 18/31, 1924).

                                    Less than two months later, on May 8/21, 1924, Patriarch Tikhon and his
                                    Patriarchal Synod issued a Decree about the reorganization of the Higher
                                    Church Administration and the appointment of the members of the Holy Synod
                                    and of the Higher Church Council.

                                    Reading from the actual Ukaze:

                                    "Appointed as permanent members of the Holy Synod under the chairmanship of
                                    Patriarch Tikhon are:

                                    Metr. Sergius of Nizhny-Novgorod
                                    Metr. Kyrill of Kazan
                                    Metr. Tikhon of the Urals
                                    Metr. Seraphim of Tver'
                                    Metr. Peter of Krutitsk" . . .

                                    . . .and 6 more Archbishops (including Archbishop Joseph of Rostov (later
                                    Metropolitan of Petrograd) and one other Bishop.

                                    So it is perfectly clear that not only was Metr. Sergius **not** removed
                                    from serving and reduced to the status of a simple monk, as the fabrication
                                    depicts, but actually he was given a criitically important see and
                                    appointed the **ranking member** of the Holy Synod by Patriarch Tikhon.

                                    With love in Christ,

                                    Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
                                  • VJB
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 19, 2002
                                      He was appointed to replace Archbishop Evdokim (Isiderskiy), a renovationist.

                                      --- VJB <venceslav@...> wrote:
                                      > Is that why Patriarch appointed him to the Diocese
                                      > of Nizhniy Novgorod?

                                      http://autos.yahoo.com

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    • joeswaydyn2000
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 19, 2002
                                        Until Joseph D made this statement I have never seen an argument that
                                        Sergius was only a simple monk. Even the Synod of Bishops in the
                                        1920's communicated with Sergius, who declined to answer questions
                                        about the diaspora because he was unaware of what was going on. That
                                        the Patriarch was a prisoner in the Monastery there is no doubt. But
                                        it would strike me as odd that something of this magnitude is not
                                        even documented in more than one source; all my sources on the
                                        history of the ROCA indicate that Sergius was considered a Bishop
                                        until 1927, when after ten months of imprisonment and torture, he
                                        capitulated to the Communists.- JS

                                      • frmarkg
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 19, 2002
                                          Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:28:04 EDT
                                          Sender: Orthodox Christianity <orthodox@...>
                                          From: "Mr. Vincent Niemann" <GreekOrthodoxTV@...>
                                          Subject: New Rules For This List.

                                          One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher Socrates and
                                          said, "Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

                                          "Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything
                                          I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter
                                          Test."

                                          "Triple filter?"

                                          "That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about
                                          my friend it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what
                                          you're going to say.

                                          That's why I call it the triple filter test. The first filter
                                          is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about
                                          to tell me is true?"

                                          "No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and..."

                                          "All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's
                                          true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of
                                          goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend
                                          something good?"

                                          "No, on the contrary..."

                                          "So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad
                                          about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass
                                          the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of
                                          usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to
                                          be useful to me?"

                                          "No, not really."

                                          "Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is
                                          neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at
                                          all?"
                                        • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 19, 2002
                                            VJB wrote:

                                            >He [Metropolitan Sergius] was appointed to replace Archbishop Evdokim
                                            >(Isiderskiy), a renovationist.

                                            This is not fully historically accurate.

                                            First of all, the surname of the renovationist bishop Evdokim was
                                            **Meshcherskiy**, not "Isiderskiy."

                                            Secondly, Evdokim (Meshcherskiy) was the Orthodox Ruling Bishop of Nizhny
                                            Novgorod from 1918 to June 3/16, 1922. From June 3/16, 1922 to October
                                            20/November 2, 1922 he was the Renovationist Bishop of Nizhny Novgorod.
                                            From October 20/November 2, 1922 to March 31/April 13, 1923--he was the
                                            Renovationist Bishop of Odessa. From March 31/April 13, 1924 to September,
                                            1924, he was the Renovationist Bishop of Kirov.

                                            The Orthodox (Non-Renovationist) See of Nizhny Novgorod was vacant from
                                            June 3/16, 1922 to March 18/31, 1924, when Metr. Sergius (Stragorodsky) was
                                            appointed by Patriarch Tikhon.

                                            With love in Christ,

                                            Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
                                          • goossir
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 23, 2002
                                              Dear Father Alexander, Bless!

                                              About Alexis II's repentence: 10 years later in november 2001, his
                                              comments on ROCOR Bishops' Council response to MP's fraternal letter:
                                              in http://www.ripnet.org/besieged/rparocora.htm, :

                                              "--About the accusations against us of so-called sergianism I want to
                                              say that it was necessary to live here in the motherland in order to
                                              understand that this is an artificial accusation and artificial
                                              pretext that they are trying to exaggerate so as simply to prevent
                                              reunification. In the main it deals with the letter by Metropolitan
                                              Sergius in 1927, the so-called Declaration of Metropolitan Sergius.
                                              By this letter he wanted to show the authorities, who, I remind you,
                                              had imprisoned and shot clergy and believers, that the church was not
                                              a counterrevolutionary organization. Thus the letter said: "we want
                                              to be Orthodox and we want to realize the Soviet Union as our
                                              motherland, whose joys are our joys and whose sorrows are our
                                              sorrows." Most often it is these words that evoke the far-fetched
                                              criticism: "What kind of joys can be in common with an atheist
                                              state?" But the letter is not talking about an atheist state; it is
                                              talking about the motherland, although in 1927 this concept was
                                              almost forgotten.

                                              This was a clever step by which Metropolitan Sergius tried to save
                                              the church and clergy. In declaring that the members of the church
                                              want to see themselves as a part of the motherland and want to share
                                              her joys and sorrows, he tried to show to those who were persecuting
                                              the church and who were destroying it that we, the children of the
                                              church, want to be loyal citizens so that the affiliation of people
                                              with the church would not place them outside the law. So this is a
                                              far-fetched accusation."

                                              SO-CALLED SERGIANISM! Alexis II finds it clever the step taken by
                                              Met Sergius (a pact with satan to save to church) - no regrets!

                                              If his repentence came after the above declaration, then I could
                                              understand but it is exactly the reverse and, to top it all in
                                              reacting to our Synod.
                                              This cynicism only shows that he thinks we are idiots.

                                              Please forgive me for what could seem as a cutting tone. There is
                                              another interview published at the beginning of this year, that I
                                              will post the momment I can put my hand on it, where Pat Alexis II
                                              justifies sergianism in even better words.

                                              May I ask a question - why are you so kind, understanding and
                                              compassionate with the MP, while, at the same time, full of anger
                                              against your own brothers who questionned some of our bishops about
                                              their sincerity in keeping the true path of our Church?

                                              Yours in Christ,

                                              Irina Pahlen

                                              wrote:
                                              > Regarding:
                                              >

                                              > >Father, I was not aware of this statement - can you provide more
                                              > >information on the occasion of these remarks, and if possible, a
                                              > >translation of the text?
                                              > >
                                              > >James Baglien
                                              > >Corvallis, OR
                                              >
                                              > Sure, James.
                                              >
                                              > Here are some quotes from an interview of the head of the MP,
                                              Alexis II,
                                              > given to "Izvestia" No 137, June 10, 1991, entitled "Patriarch
                                              Alexis II:
                                              > -- I Take upon Myself Responsibility for All that Happened":
                                              >
                                              > =============================
                                              >

                                              > Pat A.: "Being a person of the Church, I must take on myself
                                              responsibility
                                              > for all that occurred in the life of my Church: not only for the
                                              good, but
                                              > also for the difficult, the sorrowful, the erroneous."
                                              >
                                              > Regarding the 1927 Declaration of Metropolitan Sergius:
                                              >
                                              > Pat. A.: "Today we can say that falsehood is interspersed in his
                                              > Declaration, which stated as its goal 'placing the Church into
                                              proper
                                              > relations with the Soviet government.' But these relations--and in
                                              the
                                              > Declaration they are clearly defined as the submission of the
                                              Church to the
                                              > interests of governmental politics--are exactly those which are
                                              incorrect
                                              > from the point of view of the Church."
                                              >
                                              > And, regarding the statements and activities of the Moscow
                                              Patriarchate
                                              > during the time of the oppression of the Church:
                                              >
                                              > Pat. A.: "Of people, then, to whom these compromises, silence,
                                              forced
                                              > passivity or expressions of loyalty that were permitted by the
                                              Church
                                              > leadership in those days, have caused pain -- of these people, not
                                              only
                                              > before God, but also before them, I ask forgiveness, understanding,
                                              and
                                              > prayers."
                                              >

                                              > With love in Christ,
                                              >
                                              > Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
                                            • Kiril Bart
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 23, 2002
                                                Bishop of Kirov?? There was no Kirov at the time, that
                                                town was named Vjatka and it was renamed after Kirov
                                                (comunists leader) was killed.
                                                Subdeacon Kirill
                                                wrote:
                                                > VJB wrote:
                                                >
                                                > >He [Metropolitan Sergius] was appointed to replace
                                                > Archbishop Evdokim
                                                > >(Isiderskiy), a renovationist.
                                                > >

                                                > This is not fully historically accurate.
                                                >
                                                > First of all, the surname of the renovationist
                                                > bishop Evdokim was
                                                > **Meshcherskiy**, not "Isiderskiy."
                                                >
                                                > Secondly, Evdokim (Meshcherskiy) was the Orthodox
                                                > Ruling Bishop of Nizhny
                                                > Novgorod from 1918 to June 3/16, 1922. From June
                                                > 3/16, 1922 to October
                                                > 20/November 2, 1922 he was the Renovationist Bishop
                                                > of Nizhny Novgorod.
                                                > From October 20/November 2, 1922 to March 31/April
                                                > 13, 1923--he was the
                                                > Renovationist Bishop of Odessa. From March 31/April
                                                > 13, 1924 to September,
                                                > 1924, he was the Renovationist Bishop of Kirov.
                                                >
                                                > The Orthodox (Non-Renovationist) See of Nizhny
                                                > Novgorod was vacant from
                                                > June 3/16, 1922 to March 18/31, 1924, when Metr.
                                                > Sergius (Stragorodsky) was
                                                > appointed by Patriarch Tikhon.
                                                >

                                                > With love in Christ,
                                                >
                                                > Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

                                                http://health.yahoo.com
                                              • VJB
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 24, 2002
                                                  True! Kirov was not even promoted to until late 30's to replace Zinoviev at the Leningrad Committee.

                                                  wrote:
                                                  > VJB wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > >He [Metropolitan Sergius] was appointed to replace
                                                  > Archbishop Evdokim
                                                  > >(Isiderskiy), a renovationist.
                                                  > >

                                                  > This is not fully historically accurate.
                                                  >
                                                  > First of all, the surname of the renovationist
                                                  > bishop Evdokim was
                                                  > **Meshcherskiy**, not "Isiderskiy."
                                                  >
                                                  > Secondly, Evdokim (Meshcherskiy) was the Orthodox
                                                  > Ruling Bishop of Nizhny
                                                  > Novgorod from 1918 to June 3/16, 1922. From June
                                                  > 3/16, 1922 to October
                                                  > 20/November 2, 1922 he was the Renovationist Bishop
                                                  > of Nizhny Novgorod.
                                                  > From October 20/November 2, 1922 to March 31/April
                                                  > 13, 1923--he was the
                                                  > Renovationist Bishop of Odessa. From March 31/April
                                                  > 13, 1924 to September,
                                                  > 1924, he was the Renovationist Bishop of Kirov.
                                                  >
                                                  > The Orthodox (Non-Renovationist) See of Nizhny
                                                  > Novgorod was vacant from
                                                  > June 3/16, 1922 to March 18/31, 1924, when Metr.
                                                  > Sergius (Stragorodsky) was
                                                  > appointed by Patriarch Tikhon.
                                                  >

                                                  > With love in Christ,
                                                  >
                                                  > Prot. Alexander Lebedeff