Many thanks to Fr. Basil and his parish

  • prov1517
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2002
      Several months back, before Lent, with Met. Laurus's blessing, Fr.
      Theodore Shevzov organized a small meeting of the local clergy of
      Connecticut and Western Massachusetts. Fr. Dionysi kindly hosted the
      informal gathering in Hartford, and the clergy discussed issues
      concerning the parishes. One problem that emerged is that the youth
      in our parishes enjoy each other's company and want to spent more
      time together, but are all busy at the same time of the same days in
      their own parishes during the weekend hours available to them. Some
      can go to camp, but others work, and besides, there's a need to get
      together year round. The clergy resolved to arrange more
      opportunities for the youth to get together. As a result, Fr. Basil
      Grisel's parish, New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia, hosted a
      bonfire at the property where their church will be built, and which
      now houses a small chapel and open tent.

      The evening started with everyone gathered for the reading of the
      Ninth Hour. After we prayed, we ate. Fr. Basil's parish and family
      had prepared a wonderful barbecue supper. Then, as the younger boys
      under men's supervision gleefully eagerly heaped up the wood, people
      talked and sang and socialized around the fire while marshmellows
      were roasted and even consumed. Tikki torches and citronella candles
      provided further illumination and kept away the mosquitos. The
      setting was beautiful, the company was wonderful, and it was nice for
      kids from all the parishes to have a chance to congregate. The
      kindness and hospitality of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia
      parish touched us all. Many thanks to Fr. Basil and his parish for
      starting this First Annual event.