The Sebian Curcu and ours

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2002
      Dear List,

      Fuirther to a recent dsicussion we had about the Serbian Church, I
      think it wil be appropriate to remind Vl Gabriel's letter to Igumen
      Joachim, of which excerpts are below:

      http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:Y4-
      u4FBRtkQC:www.synod.com/letters/2001-10-20-reply-of-b-gabriel-to-fr-
      joachim.html+joachim+parr+russian+orthodox&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8

      "During the first years of the Church Abroad's existence the other
      Orthodox Churches were not yet actively participating in ecumenism,
      the adoption of the New Calendar and renovationism, and were in
      general much more conservative in their stand for the Truth.

      This is why they recognised us and treated us with understanding and
      support, and we concelebrated with them. When, alas, they began to
      depart more and more deeply into modernism and ecumenism, we,
      striving by God's mercy not to depart from the path of the Truth,
      gradually became, as they understood it, schismatic and uncanonical.

      As our Metropolitan Vitaly once said: "It is not we who changed, but
      they; and thus our stand for the Truth has already begun to disturb
      them and has become unacceptable, fanatical."
      I would therefore not call this a crisis for our Church, but for
      those local Orthodox Churches which have participated and continue to
      participate actively in ecumenism and renovationism, thereby
      trampling the Truth of Orthodoxy underfoot."

      In God