Re: [orthodox-synod] RE:The Rocor Website

  • Fr. Anthony Nelson
    Message 1 of 45 , May 21, 2002
      geraldherrin@... wrote:

      >While a website is a useful adjunct, I do not see it as an essential
      >part of the Church. Unfortunately every denomination or would be

      No one is making the claim that a website *is* an essential part of the
      Church...what is being decried is the sad state of the ROOOR website, the
      lack of information it provides to the people of the Church (and, of
      course, visitors/inquirers), and the miserable representation it makes of
      our Church worldwide.

      >denomination in the United States that has access to a clerical garb
      >catalogue and a computer can project an image of substance. A website

      Which is simply another reason why a legitimate Church - if it is going to
      have a website at all - should (must) have one that is "of substance" - up
      to date, informative, useful.

      >can be misleading at worst, wishful thinking sometimes. Even for those
      >of us isolated from a parish as I am, the best source for information,
      >for solace, for advice, remains our parish priest. Yes, the professional

      That assumes that the parish Priest is in the know. Unfortunately, that
      frequently is not the case...often the only information that a parish
      Priest has is that which he might find on the internet: our Church is not
      known for the excellence of it's communications with the clergy or the
      faithful. I have many times heard our clergy complain that they simply
      don't know what's going on if they don't have regular electronic access to
      each other. I might add that this includes matters of importance...not just
      ecclesiastical gossip.

      >quality of a website does look good, but it does take money. Such people
      >who create and maintain a website do not work for free, nor should they.
      >I just happen to feel that the money at least potentially involved in it
      >could be well spent elsewhere.

      There are many who disagree. We have had more inquirers at our parish as a
      result of our own simple web page and internet searches than from any other
      single source. Conversely, I know that there are those who are seriously
      spiritually troubled, even who fall away from the Church, becoming prey to
      the schismatics and psuedo-Orthodox whom they find on the internet.

      These are difficult times for our Bishops and for the Church as a
      whole...yet it is critical that day-to-day Church life continue and needs
      be met on an on-going basis. In some ways that is not happening.

      Fr. Anthony Nelson * Emergency Cell Phone Email:
      St. Benedict Orthodox Church (ROCOR) * Up to 160 characters maximum
      Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441 * total allowed including return
      mailto:fr.anthony@... * address and Subject headers.
      http://www.orthodox.org/stbenedict * mailto:fra-mobile@...
    • P. Joshua Hatala
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 9, 2002
        I have kind of a silly question. I haven't been able
        to gather much information regarding the Church's
        stance(or lack thereof) towards tattoos. If anyone has
        any info, insights, stories, etc. regarding
        tattoos(particularly Christian oriented tattoos)
        within the church it would be much appreciated. Are
        there any known priests with tattoos?
        Thanks!

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com