The Rocor Website

  • Hristofor
    Message 1 of 45 , May 20, 2002
      Christ is Risen!

      I just wanted to respond to the comments about the ROCOR website. I too
      have been disappointed by the Synod website and also wish that it would be
      better; however I am surprised by some of the comments and comparisons,
      which seem to be more of this world, then of the Other (which is where I
      consider the Church to be.)

      The Orthodox Church has existed for two millenia without websites; in fact
      it has existed for the greater part of the two millenia with the better
      part of the Faithful not having access to most of the written things we now
      take for granted. The Bible was not translated into Russian until the mid
      19th century and Orthodox prayer books, literature, newspapers and journals
      probably appeared in Russia at the same with the spread of printing
      presses. Unless the priest read his bishop's message from the amvon, most
      pre-revolutionary Orthodox Faithful probably never even heard the message.
      (I am not saying that this was a good thing, but just attempting to show
      how the Faithful existed and perhaps we may have unrealistic expectations.)

      The delay in English translations has always been a problem with ROCA
      printed materials, though the perception that Russian speakers are somehow
      "in the loop" (since Pascal and Nativity messages appear immediately in
      Orthodox Russia) is a misnomer, since the number of subscribers to OR,
      compared to the actual number of Russian speaking ROCA Faithful, is
      pitifully low. (This is true even if you take into consideration that 2 or
      3 people may read OR.) Sure, it is nice to read the Pascal message during
      Bright Week, but it is a spiritual message, not a news items, so it should
      have the same meaning whether you read it during Bright Week or during
      Pentecost.

      At a St Herman's Syezd several years ago, Fr Gregory Naumenko presented a
      wonderful lecture on the dangers of "information overload" and the
      currently worldly desire to need to know everything yesterday. When I first
      started working in 1988, there was one fax machine for our whole University
      and to send a fax was a Big Thing! Now every department has one, if not two
      fax machines, since everything has to be there ASAP.

      I personally have felt that the best way to curtail rumors would be the
      dissemination of the facts on the part of the bishops (which is not the
      usual way of doing things in any Orthodox Church; or in other churches for
      that matter). I feel that they have been doing a very good job since the
      October 2000 sobor, though I would agree there has been little info in the
      past few months and it is indeed hard to figure out who is with us and who
      has left.

      While the Internet can be a wonderful tool and there are many fantastic
      Orthodox resources, sites etc, the comments

      >A website must be like a book, if your church doesn't offer you materials
      >for the benefit of your being. Then what kind of a church is that?

      and

      > They made up many excuses, all of which I don't buy. Many people were
      > upset about that. Especially when the OCA, has had the courtesy of
      > offering it's chief hierarch's sermon in many languages for the various
      > people to read.
      >
      >I am at awe at the level of professionalism that your Church shows toward,
      >not only the world, but also toward it's Orthodox flock. It makes other
      >people want to visit your churches, by seeing the level of commitment to
      >its faithful on something as simple as a website. It's just really
      >great! I am really happy for you.

      are somewhat surprising. There are only so many things that a particular
      site can offer and even if a good Synodal webmaster is found, there is only
      so much he or she can do. How many people who have so much constructive
      criticism at the ready about the Synod website have contacted Fr Peter and
      volunteered to help scan spiritual material or offer some other type of
      assistance? It would be great if the Synod site could put up all the Works
      of the Holy Fathers, Prologue, Lives of the Saints, Synod News, Orthodox
      World News, the Calendar, all the tropars and kondaks in MP3 files etc, but
      I do not believe it is possible or is it feasible. This why there are
      search engines and links to other Orthodox sites. For international or
      national news on the web, I have a whole host of various news sites that I
      visit, I do not visit just one site. I do not expect to visit just one
      Orthodox site.

      If a glitzy website and the ability to read Metropolitan Theodius' Pasal
      Message in numerous languages are really more important then the very
      fundamental spiritual differences between the various Orthodox Churches,
      then there really is not much else to be said.

      Hristofor

    • P. Joshua Hatala
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 9, 2002
        I have kind of a silly question. I haven't been able
        to gather much information regarding the Church's
        stance(or lack thereof) towards tattoos. If anyone has
        any info, insights, stories, etc. regarding
        tattoos(particularly Christian oriented tattoos)
        within the church it would be much appreciated. Are
        there any known priests with tattoos?
        Thanks!

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com