RE:The Rocor Website

  • Tim Andrews
    Message 1 of 45 , May 20, 2002
      Dear all,
      While I am unaware of who posted it, not recognising the email, I wish
      to add my support to the recent email in regards to our official ROCOR
      website. As I have not yet posted upon this list, rather merely lurking
      in the background avidly reading all posts and attempting to learn as
      much as possible, I probably ought introduce myself. My name is Timothy
      Andrews and I'm a mere 18year old from Croydon Parish, Sydney,
      Australia.

      In my opinion the comments in regard to the lack of maintenance of our
      website are more than accurate. However, I think that the problem is
      even more severe that merely our own parishioners not having access to
      information such as the Paschal epistle. I think that it needs to be
      realised that, in this new age and particularly amongst the younger
      generations, websites are the prime resource in finding information
      about most things. Friends, from a non- Russian background, often come
      up and ask me to direct them to internet resources about Russian
      Orthodoxy. Can anyone who goes to our site honestly say that that it
      would be of ANY assistance whatsoever? Stylistically, the main page
      lacks any form or organisation or structure whatsoever, links are
      minimum at best, and there seems to be no clear thread or decent layout.
      At a deeper level, however, I would humbly suggest that it shows a
      disregard for missionary work with non-Orthodox, and presents a very
      inwardly looking focus, that being that the information on the site is
      for ROCOR people and ROCOR people only. I would suggest that this is not
      the way to convert people to the true faith, but rather it will turn
      them away. The ROCOR has long struggled with a perceived lack of
      acceptance of outsiders, and a well designed webpage, with resources
      both for the faithful, and also for outsiders, would have been the first
      clear step in this direction. With the greatest respect for whoever the
      current webmaster is, the webpage is critical for our church to increase
      its followings, and is to important to be sacrificed in the cost for
      economic efficiency. I realise that this is a very difficult time for
      our church, however, I think that this gives greater weight to my
      argument, and not the contrary.

      I apologise if I may have offended,
      Timothy Andrews

      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 9, 2002
        I have kind of a silly question. I haven't been able
        to gather much information regarding the Church's
        stance(or lack thereof) towards tattoos. If anyone has
        any info, insights, stories, etc. regarding
        tattoos(particularly Christian oriented tattoos)
        within the church it would be much appreciated. Are
        there any known priests with tattoos?
        Thanks!

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com