Fw: Chance to do a good deed

  • C. Y.
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2002
      This was emailed to me by the Parish Priest of the Orthodox Church in
      Hawaii, Fr. Anatole Lyovin. It is properly entitled, "A Chance to do a good
      deed." Many of us are going to be sending money to Fr. Rostislav's family,
      if anyone out there can help please do so. This is a time of great
      almsgiving, a time when we are called on to help more vigorously, if you can
      afford to help financially, please do so, offer your prayers as well. We
      always need prayer. Poor matushka has to pay for the funeral, move
      out of her house, pay doctors' bills, raise and educate her children --
      she needs all the help she can get! So please give all you can.

      In Christ's Love,
      Rdr. Nectarios Chad
      -----------------------------------

      God bless!

      Recently I got the word that Father Rostislav Sheniloff of the Russian
      church in Baltimore, Maryland, passed away from cancer. He leaves
      behind a matushka with three dependent children.

      Unfortunately, our Church, (the Church Abroad) is not known for providing
      pensions to widows of our priests; his matushka is now looking for work ...
      In addition, housing is usually provided free of charge to the priest's
      family, but if a priest dies, his family must move out to make room for the
      new priest.

      That is the sad truth about our church -- it assumes our priests, like
      monks, have taken the vow of poverty for themselves and their families.
      Bishop Kyrill, (the Bishop of San Francisco) is working to change that, but
      progress is very slow.

      In case you are moved to help out Father Rostislav's family, the church in
      Washington is organizing a fund drive to help them out:

      You can send a cheque earmarked 'For Sheniloff family' to:
      St. John the Baptist Russian Orthodox Cathedral,
      Benevolent Fund,
      4001 17th Street NW,
      Washington, DC 20011.

      Aloha,

      Priest Anatole

      P.S. I plan to send a modest contribution myself
    • C. Y.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2002
        I must reply to this email..

        I had sent it out, so I have the right.. I had made the error that she had
        to move out of her house, pay her bills, etc., That was not entirely
        correct. I am sorry that is what I was told by a ROCOR priest. I assumed
        that it was true, in fact I copied it word for word! For that I am deeply
        sorry. Please forgive me for the error. Matushka and her family was
        greatly helped by many of the faithful from all over. She was fortunate and
        didnt have to move out of her home, which they do own. But that has not
        been the case for other widowed Matushkas.

        They have no pension, thank God Vladyka Kyrill is trying to change this.

        With Love In Christ,
        Rdr. Nectarios

        > This was emailed to me by the Parish Priest of the Orthodox Church in
        > Hawaii, Fr. Anatole Lyovin. It is properly entitled, "A Chance to do a
        good
        > deed." Many of us are going to be sending money to Fr. Rostislav's
        family,
        > if anyone out there can help please do so. This is a time of great
        > almsgiving, a time when we are called on to help more vigorously, if you
        can
        > afford to help financially, please do so, offer your prayers as well. We
        > always need prayer. Poor matushka has to pay for the funeral, move
        > out of her house, pay doctors' bills, raise and educate her children --
        > she needs all the help she can get! So please give all you can.
        >
        > In Christ's Love,
        > Rdr. Nectarios Chad
        > -----------------------------------
        >
        > God bless!
        >
        > Recently I got the word that Father Rostislav Sheniloff of the Russian
        > church in Baltimore, Maryland, passed away from cancer. He leaves
        > behind a matushka with three dependent children.
        >
        > Unfortunately, our Church, (the Church Abroad) is not known for providing
        > pensions to widows of our priests; his matushka is now looking for work
        > In addition, housing is usually provided free of charge to the priest's
        > family, but if a priest dies, his family must move out to make room for
        the
        > new priest.
        >
        > That is the sad truth about our church -- it assumes our priests, like
        > monks, have taken the vow of poverty for themselves and their families.
        > Bishop Kyrill, (the Bishop of San Francisco) is working to change that,
        but
        > progress is very slow.
        >
        > In case you are moved to help out Father Rostislav's family, the church in
        > Washington is organizing a fund drive to help them out:
        >
        > You can send a cheque earmarked 'For Sheniloff family' to:
        > St. John the Baptist Russian Orthodox Cathedral,
        > Benevolent Fund,
        > 4001 17th Street NW,
        > Washington, DC 20011.
        >
        > Aloha,
        >
        > Priest Anatole
        >
        > P.S. I plan to send a modest contribution myself

        > Posts to this list need to be signed with your full (and real) name.

      • Hristofor
        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2002
          Unless the reposed priest was independently wealthy, surely the loss of the
          main breadwinner is still a serious blow. Presumably, St John the Baptist
          would not have set up a fund for her if she did not need assistance....

          Hristofor

          Message 4 of 4 , May 20, 2002
            Hristofor,

            >>>Unless the reposed priest was independently wealthy, surely the loss of
            the main breadwinner is still a serious blow. Presumably, St John the
            Baptist would not have set up a fund for her if she did not need
            assistance....<<<

            Respectively, I am not saying that! I am correcting a mistake in words that
            I originally presented! I am in no way diminishing the seriousness of that
            situation! I have been urging many people to give. I did not wish to
            provide false information or present factual errors. People must be told
            the truth.

            Nectarios

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/