ARCHBISHOP AVERKY ON ROCOR:remember when?

  • nicholas candela
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2002
      "These extremely important documents [the 3
      epistles of our First Hierarch, His Eminence
      Metropolitan Philaret, addressed to Patriarch
      Athenagoras of Constantinople, to the Greek Archbishop
      Iakovos, and the Sorrowufl Epistle addressed to the
      heads of the autocephalous Orthodox churches and all
      the bishops of the Orthodox church; the epistle of the
      9th Diocesan Conference of the Diocese of Western
      Europe; and the report on the last conference of the
      World Council of Churches, entitled UPSALA AND
      ORTHODOXY, written by Protopresbyter George Grabbe]
      show that we have sufficiently realized all the vile
      qualities and the perniciousness of ecumenism, a
      movement which is leading mankind to the antichrist.
      Now we must show that we are not satisfied with words
      alone, but that beyond these words we will undertake
      actions which correspond to them, which confirm the
      truth of them. We must break decisively with
      ecumenism, and we must not have anything to do with
      its supporters. We are not on the same path as they
      are. This we must in fact say and demonstrate
      emphatically. The time of genuine confession is
      approaching for us, when we will perhaps be left all
      alone and will find ourselves in the position of the
      persecuted. Inasmuch as all the local Orthodox
      churches have now become integral members of the World
      Council of Churches and have thereby betrayed
      Orthodoxy and bowed down to satan, the time of our
      complete isolation has come upon us. We cannot and
      must not have any kind of communion with those who
      have fallen away from True Orthodoxy; and we must be
      ready, if necessary, to withdraw into the catacombs,
      as the True Orthodox Christians in our homeland have
      done."
      August 21, 1969 (pastoral conference of North
      America and Canada) (from ORTHODOX LIFE Vol. 47, #3,
      May-June 1997)

      Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards´┐Ż
      http://movies.yahoo.com/