Palestinian/Israelli Christains

  • ptomac_belgorod
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2002
      It is my belief that due to the terrorist activities in Israel
      (something I in no way condone) that Orthodox Christians have been
      denied access to the many Churches there.
      I realize that I am only a small person in the cog of a great wheel,
      but I was wondering if there is anything we can do here about it?
      I realize that this entire war has been going on for many, many years
      now, but is there anything we can do here to help people get to their
      Church?
      I think that it is almost Easter now and I can very easily walk down
      to my Church without a problem. For others abroad it is a gauntlet
      between both sides.
      My own personal thoughts are that the Church shouldn't be supporting
      people who do things like this - kill and murder. I think of the
      story of the Good Samaritain who helped a Jew even though Jews
      thought badly of Samaritans.
      I can understand the concern that the Israeli government has that
      people might hide bombs and guns in the Church, which if I can
      remember my lessons from my grandfather is a sin. I also know that
      you cannot turn away people from their Church.
      I am wondering if there is anything more than a prayer we can offer
      to help out.
      I can tell you that I know of at least two people from Russia whose
      families converted to Orthodoxy and later used their Jewish roots to
      get to a better life abroad. (They tell me there are many who have
      done this and are really Orthodox).Perhaps they go to a Church under
      the Patriarch's authority - this I do not know, they might go
      elsewhere - but I still think we should be helping or at least
      thinking of them at this time of year.
      Can we write letters, give money or what??? I realize prayer is good,
      but is it enough???
      I am also wondering if maybe the Church isn't doing something there
      that I am not aware of.
      I just thought that I would ask.

      YOURS IN CHRIST

      Gerry Thomas
      Drayton Valley, Alberta
      family originated near Odessa, Russia
      served as an officer in the Tsar's cavalry
      White Army under Baron Wrangel