Re: Digest Number 568

  • maureengirard
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2002
      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Srs. Martha & Maria" <bethany_mm@h...>
      wrote:

      > >From: orthodox-synod@y...
      > Dear Gerry,
      > Your question regarding access of Palestinians to churches is a bit
      naive. I
      > wouldn't argue that there is a concrete policy by the Israeli Army
      to block
      > Palestinians from attending churches specifically, rather the
      policy is to
      > restrict their movement ANYWHERE, including to their places of
      employment,
      > medical treatment, relatives ten miles away, etc.
      > However even before the start of the present conflict (September
      2000) there
      > were certain occasions when Palestinians have been detained or so
      slowed
      > down by Israeli security that they were unable to attend major
      feast day
      > services (for example, people from Bethlehem area not being able to
      enter
      > Jerusalem for Dormition services in Jerusalem, difficulty for
      Palestinians
      > to travel to Mount Tabor for Transfiguration, etc.)
      > At the present time life is a disaster for Palestinian Christians:
      homes
      > damaged, employment opportunities nil, families terrorized by
      Israeli forces
      > entering their homes. Sadly many would consider leaving the Holy
      Land in
      > order to protect their children, though visa restrictions and lack
      of income
      > make it pretty much impossible for them.
      > Diminishing of the local Christian community will also have a
      sobering
      > effect and weaken the vitality of the Holy Sites visited in normal
      times by
      > so many pilgrims from all over the world. It would be very welcome
      to have
      > the world Christian community make a more concerted effort to prod
      their
      > governments to work to a peaceful resolution to the conflict here.
      > sr. Maria, Bethany

      I have a student from Bethlehem. He and his whole family are
      Orthodox Christians. As of 4 PM today, he has been unable to reach
      those who are still there. He also told me that the windows of the
      Church of the Nativity were blown out.
      maureen

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.