Re: [orthodox-synod] Digest Number 568

  • Srs. Martha & Maria
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9 8:43 PM
      >From: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      Dear Gerry,
      Your question regarding access of Palestinians to churches is a bit naive. I
      wouldn't argue that there is a concrete policy by the Israeli Army to block
      Palestinians from attending churches specifically, rather the policy is to
      restrict their movement ANYWHERE, including to their places of employment,
      medical treatment, relatives ten miles away, etc.
      However even before the start of the present conflict (September 2000) there
      were certain occasions when Palestinians have been detained or so slowed
      down by Israeli security that they were unable to attend major feast day
      services (for example, people from Bethlehem area not being able to enter
      Jerusalem for Dormition services in Jerusalem, difficulty for Palestinians
      to travel to Mount Tabor for Transfiguration, etc.)
      At the present time life is a disaster for Palestinian Christians: homes
      damaged, employment opportunities nil, families terrorized by Israeli forces
      entering their homes. Sadly many would consider leaving the Holy Land in
      order to protect their children, though visa restrictions and lack of income
      make it pretty much impossible for them.
      Diminishing of the local Christian community will also have a sobering
      effect and weaken the vitality of the Holy Sites visited in normal times by
      so many pilgrims from all over the world. It would be very welcome to have
      the world Christian community make a more concerted effort to prod their
      governments to work to a peaceful resolution to the conflict here.
      sr. Maria, Bethany

      >Message: 2
      > Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 02:54:21 -0000
      > From: "ptomac_belgorod" <ptomac_belgorod@...>
      >Subject: RE: Orthodox Mission in Jerusalem
      >
      >I hate to get off of the topic, but is there any truth to the rumour
      >that Palestinians who are Orthodox are being denied the opportunity
      >to attend their Churches???
      >I have read where Orthodox Churches have been damaged by troops and
      >others killed. But I have yet to find out anything concrete about
      >religious restrictions.
      >No I am not being anti-Semetic by asking this question because I know
      >that nowhere would the Orthodox Church condone any sort of violence
      >from either side. I am just curious to know.
      >
      >Thanks
      >
      >GERRY THOMAS

    • maureengirard
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11 2:13 PM
        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Srs. Martha & Maria" <bethany_mm@h...>
        wrote:

        > >From: orthodox-synod@y...
        > Dear Gerry,
        > Your question regarding access of Palestinians to churches is a bit
        naive. I
        > wouldn't argue that there is a concrete policy by the Israeli Army
        to block
        > Palestinians from attending churches specifically, rather the
        policy is to
        > restrict their movement ANYWHERE, including to their places of
        employment,
        > medical treatment, relatives ten miles away, etc.
        > However even before the start of the present conflict (September
        2000) there
        > were certain occasions when Palestinians have been detained or so
        slowed
        > down by Israeli security that they were unable to attend major
        feast day
        > services (for example, people from Bethlehem area not being able to
        enter
        > Jerusalem for Dormition services in Jerusalem, difficulty for
        Palestinians
        > to travel to Mount Tabor for Transfiguration, etc.)
        > At the present time life is a disaster for Palestinian Christians:
        homes
        > damaged, employment opportunities nil, families terrorized by
        Israeli forces
        > entering their homes. Sadly many would consider leaving the Holy
        Land in
        > order to protect their children, though visa restrictions and lack
        of income
        > make it pretty much impossible for them.
        > Diminishing of the local Christian community will also have a
        sobering
        > effect and weaken the vitality of the Holy Sites visited in normal
        times by
        > so many pilgrims from all over the world. It would be very welcome
        to have
        > the world Christian community make a more concerted effort to prod
        their
        > governments to work to a peaceful resolution to the conflict here.
        > sr. Maria, Bethany

        I have a student from Bethlehem. He and his whole family are
        Orthodox Christians. As of 4 PM today, he has been unable to reach
        those who are still there. He also told me that the windows of the
        Church of the Nativity were blown out.
        maureen

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.