RE: Orthodox Mission in Jerusalem

  • ptomac_belgorod
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8 6:54 PM
      I hate to get off of the topic, but is there any truth to the rumour
      that Palestinians who are Orthodox are being denied the opportunity
      to attend their Churches???
      I have read where Orthodox Churches have been damaged by troops and
      others killed. But I have yet to find out anything concrete about
      religious restrictions.
      No I am not being anti-Semetic by asking this question because I know
      that nowhere would the Orthodox Church condone any sort of violence
      from either side. I am just curious to know.

      Thanks

      GERRY THOMAS
    • Rd. Constantine Wright
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9 7:15 AM
        On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, ptomac_belgorod wrote:

        > I hate to get off of the topic, but is there any truth to the rumour
        > that Palestinians who are Orthodox are being denied the opportunity
        > to attend their Churches???

        Yes. The Isreaelis close the borders so that the Orthodox Palestinians
        living in the Occupied Territories cannot worship in their communities.
        See several of the news articles at

        http://www.angelfire.com/zine/rocanews

        > I have read where Orthodox Churches have been damaged by troops and
        > others killed. But I have yet to find out anything concrete about
        > religious restrictions.

        Several Orthodox clergy have been killed in Israeli crossfire, though I
        don't think they were deliberately targeted.

        In Christ,
        Rd. Constantine

        +----------------------------------------------------------+-------+
        |Reader Constantine Wright St. Lawrence Orthodox Church| |
        |133 Murray Springs Rd. Felton, California| IC|XC |
        |Chatsworth, GA 30705 Patriarchate of Jerusalem| ----- |
        |----------------------------------------------------------| NI|KA |
        | CHURCH WEBPAGE: http://www.angelfire.com/zine/rocanews | |
        | PERSONAL WEBPAGE: http://constans_wright.tripod.com | |
        +----------------------------------------------------------+-------+
      • ptomac_belgorod
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19 8:44 PM
          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Rd. Constantine Wright" <constans@a...>
          wrote:
          > On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, ptomac_belgorod wrote:
          >
          > > I hate to get off of the topic, but is there any truth to the
          rumour
          > > that Palestinians who are Orthodox are being denied the
          opportunity
          > > to attend their Churches???
          >
          > Yes. The Isreaelis close the borders so that the Orthodox
          Palestinians
          > living in the Occupied Territories cannot worship in their
          communities.
          > See several of the news articles at
          >
          > http://www.angelfire.com/zine/rocanews
          >
          > > I have read where Orthodox Churches have been damaged by troops
          and
          > > others killed. But I have yet to find out anything concrete about
          > > religious restrictions.
          >
          > Several Orthodox clergy have been killed in Israeli crossfire,
          though I
          > don't think they were deliberately targeted.
          >
          > In Christ,
          > Rd. Constantine

          I would like to thank you for your information.
          It is something I worry about.
          I do not like violence on either side and I pray the killing stops.

          YOURS IN CHRIST

          Gerry Thomas - CANADA