Re: [orthodox-synod] Funeral

  • pvgol@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 20, 2002
      This is my third attempt to forward information about Bishop Mitrophan's
      funeral.

      Subj: Bishop Mitrophan Funeral
      Date: 2/19/02 10:56:30 AM Pacific Standard Time
      From: Pvgol
      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com

      Tried forwarding this post earlier, but the text was stripped off.

      Subj:   [OrthodoxPSALM] Funeral
      Date:   Mon, 18 Feb 2002 8:36:11 PM Eastern Standard Time
      From:   "otetsioann" <johndoreen@...>
      To:   OrthodoxPSALM@yahoogroups.com

      This evening I attended the funeral of Vladyka Mitrophan. It was held
      in St. Seraphim's in Sea Cliff. I got there a little after it had
      started and already there was only wall to wall people. There were
      people in the church, on the stairs, on the front lawn, on the side
      lawn, in the streets. There must have been thousands of people there,
      no exaggeration. After a while, I finally got inside the church. I
      counted Metropolitan Laurus and two other bishops, at least 15
      priests (that I could see, who knows how many others there were) and
      at least as many deacons, plus the altar servers. There were
      antiphonal choirs, the regular parish choir and the choir from Holy
      Trinity Monastery. I left at 7:00 and I'm sure they were only about
      1/3 of the way through the service. They did the 12 Epistles and
      Gospels, like for a priest, plus I'm sure there were other little
      things that are done only for clergy.
         Vladyka was an amazing man. In his 95 or so years on this earth he
      touched the lives of hundreds of people, both here in the USA and in
      Poland and Morocco, where he had parishes. He spoke out for what was
      right, despite the communist authorities in Russia. He will be sorely
      missed.

    • prov1517
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21, 2002
        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Michael Dwyer" <Kerryboy@o...> wrote:
        > Was anyone on the list able to attend the services for Vladyka
        Mitrophan?
        > If so, can you tell us about the experience?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Michael Dwyer
        > San Francisco, CA

        Except that we were all unspeakably sad, it was like Pascha.

        Vladyka was in his open coffin in the middle of the church, his
        mantia draped, his klobuk at his feet, his face cover with an aer and
        only his hands, holding a cross, showing. Near Vladyka's feet were
        relics of three saints -- St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Patriarch
        Tikhon, and St. Nikolai Velimirovich, whom Vladyka knew personally --
        relics that Vladyka had with him when he reposed, on loan with his
        bishop's blessings from an OCA priest who loved Vladyka Mitrophan
        dearly. Various of our clergy read the Gospel over Vladyka Mitrophan
        until the funeral began. There were three bishops (Met. Laurus,
        Vladyka Michael, and Vladyka Alexander), twenty priest served, not
        counting deacons, subdeacons, readers, altar boys, all in blue and
        white and gold. At least half a dozen priests from other
        jurisdictions came, out of their love for Vladyka. They didn't serve,
        but most stood on the steps to the kliros so as not to be crushed.
        The crowd was huge, with people not just from St. Seraphim in Sea
        Cliff but from Holy Epiphany in Boston, from Presentation of Christ
        in the Temple and from St. Nicholas in Stratford, spiritual children
        who'd moved to California, people who flew in from the midwest,
        Russians, Greeks, Americans, with many children, all drawn by
        Vladyka's love.

        St. Seraphim Church is beautiful, all wooden and golden and white,
        and it's long and narrow. People stood at least two deep behind the
        clergy, who stretched nearly all the way to the altar in a line on
        either side of Vladyka, and the laity were encouraged to move
        forward, and forward, to make room, until some of us were pressed
        against kivots and between floral arrangements. Everyone held burning
        candles. The funeral service for the bishop is the same as that for a
        priest. It begins as the funeral for laity, but then there are
        Epistle and Gospel readings, and more prayers. It lasted for about
        four hours.

        Both the choir from St. Seraphim and a choir from Holy Trinity
        Monastery and Seminary sang, both richly and beautifully and simply.
        When it was time to sing "So svjatimi upakoi," "With the Saints, give
        rest," everyone sang with one voice, and the church thundered. Just
        before the final kiss, Met. Laurus gave a sermon, talking about
        Vladyka's life of service to the church. The sermon was in Russian
        and I think in English, so all mistakes are mine, but I believe he
        said Vladyka was born in Brest-Litovsk, where his father was a
        priest. His brother Arseni, a priest, was murdered by the Checka in
        the Revolution. When Vladyka Mitrophan saw his father's grief at
        Arseni's death, he promised to take his brother's place and take up
        the burden of the priesthood. He finished high school (gymnasium) in
        Brest-Litovsk and then went to Belgrade for Seminary. He watched over
        his flock in Germany, in North Africa, in Morrocco, and finally led
        them to Sea Cliff, where he served for forty-two years, the last ten
        as bishop. Met. Laurus spoke of how hard Vladyka worked and how
        heavily we will miss him. Met. Laurus read from the scroll that is
        placed in the hand of the departed and rolled it up and tucked it
        into Vladyka's hand. Then from both sides of the coffin, people made
        prostrations and kissed Vladyka Mitrophan one last time. It took a
        very long time, because we were many, but no one hurried anyone else.

        The clergy carried Vladyka's open coffin around the church in a
        krestny hod. After the funeral, the Sisterhood of St. Seraphim's
        Church had a meal for all the assembled guests. Vladyka Mitrophan was
        a widower, and his children and grandchildren, and Fr. Sergei and Fr.
        Deacon Paul from the St. Seraphim parish, were unfailingly kind to
        everyone, spending most of the meal making sure everyone else was
        taken care of, had enough to eat, had heard a kind word. The parish's
        hospitality was a reflection of Vladyka's love.

        At the meal, a letter from Vladyka Kyril was read, and various people
        spoke of Vladyka and his works and his love. Among the people, also,
        one heard stories of the letters Vladyka wrote to this one, how he
        visited people in the hospital (both Orthodox and otherwise) and
        didn't just pray for them but also helped them get cleaned up, how he
        would visit his parishioners for their namedays, how he remembered
        everyone. We remembered his bravery and candor. We remembered his
        humility. We remembered his love.

        We were not able to come for the burial in Jordanville the next day,
        but a whole bus was leaving from Sea Cliff. One was reluctant to
        leave. The last time I had seen Vladyka alive was at the feast of the
        Kursk Root icon, where at the trapeza, despite his age (92!) and
        failing health, he held the icon far over his head and blessed the
        whole crowd assembled for trapeza with it, again and again and again,
        with vigor. Vladyka's thoughts and sermons are available now in
        English in his book, "Path to a Meaningful and Fruitful Life." It
        would be fitting to end with Vladyka's last words in his book:

        "To achieve a life of bliss, we must undergo a spiritual
        transformation which is within the reach of each and every one of us.
        The core of this transformation process, or reinventing of ourselves,
        is to think and reason as the Gospel tells us. It is all there, black
        on white, ink on paper, for everyone to follow. But appreciable
        effort must be applied and a real desire to change is essential to
        success. Look at the apple. First it was a green bud with no taste at
        all; then it became a sour little fruit. But under the effects of the
        sun's rays, oxygen, and moisture, that sour nondescript little fruit
        is transformed into a lovely apple which is plucked from the tree by
        the master with joy.
        Likewise, under the steadying influence of true faith, prayer,
        church services, the Holy Mysteries, and the blessed gifts of the
        Holy Spirit, we, feeble and worldly beings, can gradually change our
        ways and develop spiritually to ripen toward eternal life.
        In this we find the meaning and goal of our lives."

        Vladyka's funeral was both a chance to grieve our very great loss
        together and an opportunity to remember and celebrate a life of true
        faith brought to fruition. May his memory be eternal!

        Matushka Ann Lardas
        Stratford, Connecticut
      • Robert Kearney
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21, 2002
          May this new Saint of Russia intercede for us before
          the throne of Almighty God! Eternal Memory!!!
          In Christ Nikolai

          http://sports.yahoo.com
        • OrthodoxTruth
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 21, 2002
            Saint Philaret??

            Who canonized him? What group? He is Blessed and will be a saint someday,
            he already is in my book... But who made it official??

            Because I am very upset that I didnt here about this, I love Vladyka.. I
            wanted to go to his canonization..

            Can somebody clear this up...

            Nektarius

              From: Robert Kearney <niconar20@...>
              To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:23:59 -0800 (PST)
              From sentto-1289487-3525-1014335958-mikeniki Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:01:43 -0800

              --- pvgol@... wrote:
              > This is my third attempt to forward information
              > about Bishop Mitrophan's
              > funeral.
              >

              > Subj: Bishop Mitrophan Funeral
              > Date: 2/19/02 10:56:30 AM Pacific Standard Time
              > From: Pvgol
              > To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
              >

              > Tried forwarding this post earlier, but the text was
              > stripped off.

              > Subj:�� [OrthodoxPSALM] Funeral
              > Date:�� Mon, 18 Feb 2002 8:36:11 PM Eastern Standard
              > Time
              > From:�� "otetsioann" <johndoreen@...>
              > To:�� OrthodoxPSALM@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > This evening I attended the funeral of Vladyka
              > Mitrophan. It was held
              > in St. Seraphim's in Sea Cliff. I got there a little
              > after it had
              > started and already there was only wall to wall
              > people. There were
              > people in the church, on the stairs, on the front
              > lawn, on the side
              > lawn, in the streets. There must have been thousands
              > of people there,
              > no exaggeration. After a while, I finally got inside
              > the church. I
              > counted Metropolitan Laurus and two other bishops,
              > at least 15
              > priests (that I could see, who knows how many others
              > there were) and
              > at least as many deacons, plus the altar servers.
              > There were
              > antiphonal choirs, the regular parish choir and the
              > choir from Holy
              > Trinity Monastery. I left at 7:00 and I'm sure they
              > were only about
              > 1/3 of the way through the service. They did the 12
              > Epistles and
              > Gospels, like for a priest, plus I'm sure there were
              > other little
              > things that are done only for clergy.
              > �� Vladyka was an amazing man. In his 95 or so years
              > on this earth he
              > touched the lives of hundreds of people, both here
              > in the USA and in
              > Poland and Morocco, where he had parishes. He spoke
              > out for what was
              > right, despite the communist authorities in Russia.
              > He will be sorely
              > missed.

            • PAVEL WOLKOW
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 21, 2002
                Dear Matushka Anna,

                To add to everything you had said when we departed Sea Cliff and arrived
                at Jordanville Vladyka's casket was carried into the church and again
                opened. Then a small litany was served and all were allowed to again
                venerate and say goodbye to Vladyka. After about a 1 hour break a final
                panikhida was served at which Metropolitan Laurus,Bishop Alexander and
                Bishop Michael again presided with numerous clergy serving. Father Roman
                led everyone in singing the panikhida. The entire church was singing. It
                truly was heaven on earth. Metropolitan Laurus again said a quick sermon
                reitarating yesterdays sermon, but also adding that Vladyka Mitrophan
                considered himself as part of the brotherhood of the Holy Trinity
                Monastery. Father protodeacon Joseph Jarostchuk also said a quick sermon
                about Vladyka and how he had spiritually helped to guide and save alot of
                Russian Orthodox who lived in Morocco. When everyone finished saying
                their final goodbye's to Vladyka, the casket was closed and then carried
                out by Krestny Hod and carried once around the main cathedral and up to
                the cemetary,around the cemetary church and to his final resting place by
                his beloved departed matushka, before his tonture as a monk. Here a
                final short litany was served and Vladyka was lowered into his grave to
                the singing of " VECHNAYA PAMYATS". Bishop Alexander then also said a
                short sermon where he said "THAT THRU VLADYKA MITROPHANS DEATH WE LOST AN
                IRREPLACEABLE SYMBOL OF AND WHO WAS THE ONLY SURVIVING REPRESENTATIVE OF
                PRE-REVOLUTIONARY AND POST REVOLUTIONARY RUSSIA"

                May His memmory be eternal and His prayers before Our Lord and Savior
                help guide us and save us!
                unworthy deacon Pavel Wolkow

              • mwoerl
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 22, 2002
                  --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "OrthodoxTruth" <orthodoxtruth@y...> wrote:
                  > Saint Philaret??
                  >
                  > Who canonized him? What group? He is Blessed and will be a saint someday,
                  > he already is in my book... But who made it official??
                  >
                  > Because I am very upset that I didnt here about this, I love Vladyka.. I
                  > wanted to go to his canonization..
                  >
                  > Can somebody clear this up...

                  Metropolitan Philaret (Voznesensky) of Blessed Memory has been
                  "glorified" by two schismatic groups, the Boston group ("HOCNA") and
                  the "Russian Orthodox Autonomous Church" ("ROAC")" led by the former
                  Bishop Valentin (Rusantsov) in Suzdal. So, you see, it is not
                  "official." Members of both groups would probably flip out to hear
                  someone asking about a "canonization," too! Some people are very
                  touchy, you know!
                  Michael Woerl
                • OrthodoxTruth
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 22, 2002