Re: Unity with Rome

  • mwoerl
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2002
      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Hristofor <hristofor@m...> wrote:

      > How could Moscow could "unite" with Rome? Any talks about serious unity
      > would take an act of ALL of the local Orthodox Churches meeting AND
      > agreeing to this.

      You would think so . . . however, the same is true of the Calendar
      change and involvement with ecumenism, and we see that these
      'preconditions' were totally ignored concerning those issues . . .
      Michael Woerl
    • catherine elaine sullivan
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
        Sad, but true. Perhaps there is more interest out there on the part of "Moms"-
        as I am not one, my viewpoint was more that of educator, and the club was meant
        for administrators and teachers in church school programs,and of course,
        parents interested in education. Do you think there is really some interest
        out there- perhaps just my timing was off? I left it up for several months, and
        then closed it up for lack of interest. What do you think- should I try again?

        =====
        Catherine

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • thestapletonfamily
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
          --- In orthodox-synod@y..., catherine elaine sullivan <flicka68@y...>
          wrote:
          > Sad, but true. Perhaps there is more interest out there on the part
          of "Moms"-
          > as I am not one, my viewpoint was more that of educator, and the
          club was meant
          > for administrators and teachers in church school programs,and of
          course,
          > parents interested in education. Do you think there is really some
          interest
          > out there- perhaps just my timing was off? I left it up for several
          months, and
          > then closed it up for lack of interest. What do you think- should
          I try again?

          > =====
          > Catherine

          > http://greetings.yahoo.com

          Dear in Christ Catherine,
          My wife and I would be interested in gaining more information about
          Christian Education. We home school our three boys and are always
          looking for and needing more information on teaching our kids. If
          there isnt an interest in seting up a christian education site maybe
          we could still correspond some.
          A struggling soul
          Ambrose Stapleton
        • catherine elaine sullivan
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
            Vladimir- I don't suppose anyone DOESN'T want unity. However, what many of us
            DON'T want is unity at any price. During WW II, many Germans wanted so badly
            to remain loyal Germans- in fact one of the Nazi themes was the UNITY of all
            Germans everywhere. Because of this, many of them made great moral
            compromises, which they have had to answer to God for. We just don't want that
            to happen to us in the name of unity- that we have to compromise our faith for
            it. I really do not feel, for example,that Roman Catholics will ever give up
            their Pope just in order to unite with us, not do I think he would settle for
            simply being the "bishop of Rome, first among equals." I am afraid it would
            ultimately be the Orthodox who would make the compromises. If we are the Truth
            and we wish to unite with others,then it can only be by means of their
            accepting the Truth of Orthodoxy. Any less,and we are nolonger the Orthodox
            Church- we are something else.

            =====
            Catherine

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • catherine elaine sullivan
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
              That would be fine- I'll give it one more shot, and if not, we can certainly do
              that. It set one up under Orthodox and Education and we'll see what happens!

              flicka68@...

              =====
              Catherine

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • vkozyreff
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 9, 2002
                The actions that patriarch Tikhon took or did not take after he
                pronounced his anathema do not change in any way the fact of the
                anathema, its appropriateness and the fact that Sergianism is both
                anathema and heretical.

                We are judging a proposal here, not a person. In doing so, we are
                defending Christ's Truth, which is the duty of any Christian. In
                condemning Sergianism, as the new martyrs did, we do not even condemn
                Met Sergius himself. He probably did commit a grave sin, but who am
                I, sinner to judge him? As I said before, maybe God has forgiven him
                already. It nevertheless remains true that Sergianism is sin and
                heretical. A heresy is a heresy by nature, not by authorship.

                We should never forget the duty that Christ has given us to exert our
                judgement ("You will recognise them by their fruits"). The principle
                that we will be judged as we have judged has nothing to do with this.
                If I should be heretical, I hope my orthodox brothers will let me
                know. I would be grateful if they helped me out of my error.

                This being said, the opinion that I have about reunion with the MP is
                mine precisely because I think it is that of the Church.

                I do not agree with the proposal: "this is for our bishops to decide
                and not you and other people with their various personal opinions
                which do not reflect the Church" for the following reasons:

                1. I never said that I would decide anything about this matter.
                2. I may however have an opinion about this and I may discuss it
                with a bishop and with you. The bishop might be interested in hearing
                what I have to say, either to take it into account or to correct me.
                Remember, bishops are not infallible and laymen are members of the
                Church. It would be abnormal that bishops would take decisions that
                would be contrary to the opinion of their flock who, by definition,
                express the opinion of the Church too.
                3. My opinions about the Church always reflect those of the
                Church. I adopt as opinion for myself what I perceive as being the
                opinion of the Church. My research consists in finding out what the
                opinion of the Church is, to adopt it for myself. Discussions come
                about when the opinion of the Church is unclear. This happens. The
                voice of the laymen may be a signal for the Church that She should be
                clearer.
                What happens also, as you know, is that different bishops express
                different opinions about a given subject. Synods have erred in the
                past, as we all know. In conclusion, bishops and laymen should be in
                close unity and absence thereof is always a cause for concern, not a
                fact to be ignored.

                In Christ,

                VK

                In God,

                VK

              • vkozyreff
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 9, 2002
                  1. I do not say that the Latino Catholics cannot name
                  other "Churches" that are even less traditional than theirs. I just
                  dispute the idea that the Orthodox Church is linked to the Latino
                  Catholics by the fact that they are both traditional. Their
                  relationship with Tradition is precisely what separates them.
                  Protestant grapefruit juice is irrelevant here. As you know, the
                  Latino-Catholics have innovated and are constantly doing so. One of
                  their last innovations is that the sin (and thus the Redemption)
                  should not be at the centre of the faith any longer. Innovation is
                  opposed to tradition. If I innovate, accusing others of innovating
                  even more does not change the fact that I innovate myself.
                  2. The concern of Orthodox believers regarding a possible union
                  with the Latino Catholics is not totally unfounded, as history has
                  shown. Twice, the patriarch of Constantinople has declared union with
                  Rome. The faithful have rersisted against their bishops and have
                  saved orthodoxy. Uniates do exist. The anathema against the Latino
                  Catholics has been abrogated recently by the patriarch of
                  Constantinople. Among our clergy and our believers, many continue to
                  speak about the "reunion of the Church", as though the heretics were
                  still part of the Church. Contrarily to what you seem to imply, I
                  think that the danger is real. You say yourself that you consider the
                  filioque matter as unimportant.
                  3. As you know, many Orthodox have turned themselves to the
                  Latino-Catholics already. Ecumenism is more aggressive than ever and
                  sympathy for it is growing within our ranks. Many orthodox are afraid
                  that tey might remain a minority compared to the Latino Catholics and
                  Orthodox supporters of ecumenism. How can you blame the faithful for
                  being vigilant and concerned?

                  In Christ,

                  VK
                  --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Hristofor <hristofor@m...> wrote:
                  > Unfortunately, some Orthodox faithful are beginning to resemble
                  tabloid
                  > newspapers with their eye-catching headlines: "ROCA TO UNITE WITH
                  THE MP!",
                  > "IMMINENT UNITY WITH MOSCOW". Whatever will be next??? Well, now we
                  know.
                  > "MP TO UNITE WITH ROME!" I really wish that people would stop
                  taking the
                  > barest of a thread of fact/truth/information and spinning it into
                  the worst
                  > possible scenario. After leaving the Mitropolia almost 20 years ago
                  and
                  > joining the ROCA, already at that time there were people/parishes
                  leaving,
                  > due to the "ROCA GOING ECCUMENICAL!" I can't say that the ROCA is
                  anymore
                  > ecumenical now then under Vladyka Philaret.
                  >
                  > How could Moscow could "unite" with Rome? Any talks about serious
                  unity
                  > would take an act of ALL of the local Orthodox Churches meeting AND
                  > agreeing to this. The chances of that happening are almost nil --
                  the local
                  > Churches can't even agree on such germane issues as the Calendar,
                  how to
                  > treat the uncanonical situation of multiple bishops on the same
                  territory
                  > [which means just about any non-historically Orthodox country, such
                  as the
                  > US, Australia, UK, Franc etc.], Mitropolia autocephaly, wether
                  the
                  > Ukriane and Estonia are MP or EP territory. Albeit, there are bi-
                  lateral
                  > commissions between Rome and the MP, the EP etc but what exactly
                  have they
                  > accomplished in concrete terms?
                  >
                  > What is exactly the problem if Patriarch Alexis saying that "the
                  Catholic
                  > Church is traditional?" Considering the female ministers, married
                  bishops,
                  > grape juice sacrament that exists in the Protestant churches, well
                  the
                  > Catholic church does seem "traditional."
                  >
                  > On a related note of unity, I recall reading in the OCA newspaper
                  some time
                  > ago about a movement in the 19th Century for the Episcopal Church
                  in the US
                  > to be accepted into the Russian Orthodox Church. Does anyone know
                  anything
                  > about this?
                  >
                  > Hristofor
                  >

                  > >niconar20@y... writes:
                  > > > Patriarch Alexis just declared to the Pope of Rome that the
                  orthodox
                  > > and the
                  > > > "catholic" Church are both based on tradition. As soon as
                  the "catholic
                  > > > proselytism" ends, talks about unity will start, he said. Look
                  at those
                  > > > orthodox who forget the heretical nature of the schisms that
                  have
                  > > separated
                  > > > most of mankind from orthodoxy, and that are ready to join them
                  in the
                  > > > heresy.
                  > >
                  > >Hmmm.... I guess Patriarch Alexis is a bit brighter than your
                  average
                  > >emigre, because he is quite correct. Both churches are based on
                  tradition,
                  > >and unity is a desirable goal. I strngly suspect that the
                  reciprocal
                  > >excommunications had more to do with the sacking of Constantinople
                  than with
                  > >dogmatic violations. As "holier than though" as we now pretend to
                  be, fact
                  > >is that the Orthodox Church lived with the filioque for several
                  hundred years
                  > >without much of a problem with it, and that to this day a large
                  number of
                  > >Catholics and Orthodox still remain completely clueless as to what
                  this
                  > >really means. That other big stumbling block, papal
                  infallibility, is also
                  > >not that big. Even Metropolitan Vitaly affected this from time to
                  time. And
                  > >very few Orthodox understand that the doctrine/dogma can only be
                  invoked ex
                  > >cathedra and has only been invoked a couple of times. Why not
                  ultimate
                  > >unity? That's what Christ wanted.
                  > >
                  > >Vladimir Hindrichs
                  > >who prays for the Unity of Christ's Church

                  > >Archives located at http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod
                  > >

                  > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • ajj66046
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 11, 2002
                    Dear Catherine,

                    My wife currently homeschools our five year old daughter and has been
                    starving for some curriculum and project ideas which are consonant
                    with our desire to raise up our children as Orthodox Christians.
                    Please let us know how we might benefit from your experience (either
                    by personal correspondence or in a discussion group setting). We
                    intend to follow a 'Classical Education' model at present adapted
                    from 'The Well-Trained Mind' curriculum, however, it has a pretty
                    protestant/western-european bias which we will adjust when we get
                    into teaching our daughter history.

                    Thank you for your efforts,
                    Anthony Jacobs

                    wrote:
                    > That would be fine- I'll give it one more shot, and if not, we can
                    certainly do
                    > that. It set one up under Orthodox and Education and we'll see
                    what happens!

                    > flicka68@y...
                    >
                    > =====
                    > Catherine
                  • Jean-Claude
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 11, 2002
                      This is my first post on this site. I have been home schooling my son since he was five. He will be entering the seminary in about one or two years. I don't know what state you live in but I am in Ohio and here I must comply with certain subjects buy my choice of texts is pretty good. As far as my Orthodox training or classes. I use a standard text concerning the Orthodox faith. He is currently studying the Stichera (please excuse spelling) and the order of services.

                      Jean-Claude

                      wrote:
                      > That would be fine- I'll give it one more shot, and if not, we can
                      certainly do
                      > that. It set one up under Orthodox and Education and we'll see
                      what happens!

                      > flicka68@y...
                      >
                      > =====
                      > Catherine

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • catherine elaine sullivan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 12, 2002
                        It is a little confusing to me- isn't it clear to Orthodox that Latino
                        Catholics and others are under the jurisdiction of the Pope and we are not, and
                        never have been? Why would they wish to accept this? It is the same reason I
                        do not believe there will ever be full eccumenism- the Pope is not about to
                        give up his office!

                        =====
                        Catherine

                        http://greetings.yahoo.com
                      • catherine elaine sullivan
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 12, 2002
                          If you go into Yahoo groups (www.yahoogroups.com), I have started a group
                          called Orthodox Education, which should serve the purpose. So far, I am the
                          only member! However, we can spread the work to others, and will have more, I
                          hope. I did se on my piled-up e-mails that someone else inquired also. After
                          you go into Yahoogroups (you have to "join"), let me know further.

                          =====
                          Catherine

                          http://greetings.yahoo.com
                        • Hristofor
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 13, 2002
                            Did a quick search of Orthodox Education and did not find it. Is it the one
                            called OrthodoxClassicalHS?

                            hristofor.

                            At 12:26 PM 2/12/2002, you wrote:
                            >If you go into Yahoo groups (www.yahoogroups.com), I have started a group
                            >called Orthodox Education, which should serve the purpose. So far, I am the
                            >only member! However, we can spread the work to others, and will have more, I
                            >hope. I did se on my piled-up e-mails that someone else inquired also. After
                            >you go into Yahoogroups (you have to "join"), let me know further.
                            >
                            >=====
                            >Catherine

                            >Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!
                            >http://greetings.yahoo.com

                          • ajj66046
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 14, 2002
                              Hristofor,

                              I had the same problem finding it, but you can access the page by
                              typing (or following this link if it works):

                              At present Catherine and I are the only members, but I hope there
                              will be more.

                              Anthony

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 15, 2002
                                No, it's in Yahoo groups (not the old clubs) under Orthodox Christian
                                Education, but pops up under "my groups" as Orthoeduc or something like that.

                                =====
                                Catherine

                                http://mail.yahoo.com