Unity with Rome

  • Hristofor
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 5, 2002
      Unfortunately, some Orthodox faithful are beginning to resemble tabloid
      newspapers with their eye-catching headlines: "ROCA TO UNITE WITH THE MP!",
      "IMMINENT UNITY WITH MOSCOW". Whatever will be next??? Well, now we know.
      "MP TO UNITE WITH ROME!" I really wish that people would stop taking the
      barest of a thread of fact/truth/information and spinning it into the worst
      possible scenario. After leaving the Mitropolia almost 20 years ago and
      joining the ROCA, already at that time there were people/parishes leaving,
      due to the "ROCA GOING ECCUMENICAL!" I can't say that the ROCA is anymore
      ecumenical now then under Vladyka Philaret.

      How could Moscow could "unite" with Rome? Any talks about serious unity
      would take an act of ALL of the local Orthodox Churches meeting AND
      agreeing to this. The chances of that happening are almost nil -- the local
      Churches can't even agree on such germane issues as the Calendar, how to
      treat the uncanonical situation of multiple bishops on the same territory
      [which means just about any non-historically Orthodox country, such as the
      US, Australia, UK, Franc etc.], Mitropolia autocephaly, wether the
      Ukriane and Estonia are MP or EP territory. Albeit, there are bi-lateral
      commissions between Rome and the MP, the EP etc but what exactly have they
      accomplished in concrete terms?

      What is exactly the problem if Patriarch Alexis saying that "the Catholic
      Church is traditional?" Considering the female ministers, married bishops,
      grape juice sacrament that exists in the Protestant churches, well the
      Catholic church does seem "traditional."

      On a related note of unity, I recall reading in the OCA newspaper some time
      ago about a movement in the 19th Century for the Episcopal Church in the US
      to be accepted into the Russian Orthodox Church. Does anyone know anything
      about this?

      Hristofor

      >niconar20@... writes:
      > > Patriarch Alexis just declared to the Pope of Rome that the orthodox
      > and the
      > > "catholic" Church are both based on tradition. As soon as the "catholic
      > > proselytism" ends, talks about unity will start, he said. Look at those
      > > orthodox who forget the heretical nature of the schisms that have
      > separated
      > > most of mankind from orthodoxy, and that are ready to join them in the
      > > heresy.
      >
      >Hmmm.... I guess Patriarch Alexis is a bit brighter than your average
      >emigre, because he is quite correct. Both churches are based on tradition,
      >and unity is a desirable goal. I strngly suspect that the reciprocal
      >excommunications had more to do with the sacking of Constantinople than with
      >dogmatic violations. As "holier than though" as we now pretend to be, fact
      >is that the Orthodox Church lived with the filioque for several hundred years
      >without much of a problem with it, and that to this day a large number of
      >Catholics and Orthodox still remain completely clueless as to what this
      >really means. That other big stumbling block, papal infallibility, is also
      >not that big. Even Metropolitan Vitaly affected this from time to time. And
      >very few Orthodox understand that the doctrine/dogma can only be invoked ex
      >cathedra and has only been invoked a couple of times. Why not ultimate
      >unity? That's what Christ wanted.
      >
      >Vladimir Hindrichs
      >who prays for the Unity of Christ's Church

    • mwoerl
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 5, 2002
        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., Hristofor <hristofor@m...> wrote:

        > How could Moscow could "unite" with Rome? Any talks about serious unity
        > would take an act of ALL of the local Orthodox Churches meeting AND
        > agreeing to this.

        You would think so . . . however, the same is true of the Calendar
        change and involvement with ecumenism, and we see that these
        'preconditions' were totally ignored concerning those issues . . .
        Michael Woerl
      • catherine elaine sullivan
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
          Sad, but true. Perhaps there is more interest out there on the part of "Moms"-
          as I am not one, my viewpoint was more that of educator, and the club was meant
          for administrators and teachers in church school programs,and of course,
          parents interested in education. Do you think there is really some interest
          out there- perhaps just my timing was off? I left it up for several months, and
          then closed it up for lack of interest. What do you think- should I try again?

          =====
          Catherine

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • thestapletonfamily
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
            --- In orthodox-synod@y..., catherine elaine sullivan <flicka68@y...>
            wrote:
            > Sad, but true. Perhaps there is more interest out there on the part
            of "Moms"-
            > as I am not one, my viewpoint was more that of educator, and the
            club was meant
            > for administrators and teachers in church school programs,and of
            course,
            > parents interested in education. Do you think there is really some
            interest
            > out there- perhaps just my timing was off? I left it up for several
            months, and
            > then closed it up for lack of interest. What do you think- should
            I try again?

            > =====
            > Catherine

            > http://greetings.yahoo.com

            Dear in Christ Catherine,
            My wife and I would be interested in gaining more information about
            Christian Education. We home school our three boys and are always
            looking for and needing more information on teaching our kids. If
            there isnt an interest in seting up a christian education site maybe
            we could still correspond some.
            A struggling soul
            Ambrose Stapleton
          • catherine elaine sullivan
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
              Vladimir- I don't suppose anyone DOESN'T want unity. However, what many of us
              DON'T want is unity at any price. During WW II, many Germans wanted so badly
              to remain loyal Germans- in fact one of the Nazi themes was the UNITY of all
              Germans everywhere. Because of this, many of them made great moral
              compromises, which they have had to answer to God for. We just don't want that
              to happen to us in the name of unity- that we have to compromise our faith for
              it. I really do not feel, for example,that Roman Catholics will ever give up
              their Pope just in order to unite with us, not do I think he would settle for
              simply being the "bishop of Rome, first among equals." I am afraid it would
              ultimately be the Orthodox who would make the compromises. If we are the Truth
              and we wish to unite with others,then it can only be by means of their
              accepting the Truth of Orthodoxy. Any less,and we are nolonger the Orthodox
              Church- we are something else.

              =====
              Catherine

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • catherine elaine sullivan
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 6, 2002
                That would be fine- I'll give it one more shot, and if not, we can certainly do
                that. It set one up under Orthodox and Education and we'll see what happens!

                flicka68@...

                =====
                Catherine

                http://greetings.yahoo.com
              • vkozyreff
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 9, 2002
                  The actions that patriarch Tikhon took or did not take after he
                  pronounced his anathema do not change in any way the fact of the
                  anathema, its appropriateness and the fact that Sergianism is both
                  anathema and heretical.

                  We are judging a proposal here, not a person. In doing so, we are
                  defending Christ's Truth, which is the duty of any Christian. In
                  condemning Sergianism, as the new martyrs did, we do not even condemn
                  Met Sergius himself. He probably did commit a grave sin, but who am
                  I, sinner to judge him? As I said before, maybe God has forgiven him
                  already. It nevertheless remains true that Sergianism is sin and
                  heretical. A heresy is a heresy by nature, not by authorship.

                  We should never forget the duty that Christ has given us to exert our
                  judgement ("You will recognise them by their fruits"). The principle
                  that we will be judged as we have judged has nothing to do with this.
                  If I should be heretical, I hope my orthodox brothers will let me
                  know. I would be grateful if they helped me out of my error.

                  This being said, the opinion that I have about reunion with the MP is
                  mine precisely because I think it is that of the Church.

                  I do not agree with the proposal: "this is for our bishops to decide
                  and not you and other people with their various personal opinions
                  which do not reflect the Church" for the following reasons:

                  1. I never said that I would decide anything about this matter.
                  2. I may however have an opinion about this and I may discuss it
                  with a bishop and with you. The bishop might be interested in hearing
                  what I have to say, either to take it into account or to correct me.
                  Remember, bishops are not infallible and laymen are members of the
                  Church. It would be abnormal that bishops would take decisions that
                  would be contrary to the opinion of their flock who, by definition,
                  express the opinion of the Church too.
                  3. My opinions about the Church always reflect those of the
                  Church. I adopt as opinion for myself what I perceive as being the
                  opinion of the Church. My research consists in finding out what the
                  opinion of the Church is, to adopt it for myself. Discussions come
                  about when the opinion of the Church is unclear. This happens. The
                  voice of the laymen may be a signal for the Church that She should be
                  clearer.
                  What happens also, as you know, is that different bishops express
                  different opinions about a given subject. Synods have erred in the
                  past, as we all know. In conclusion, bishops and laymen should be in
                  close unity and absence thereof is always a cause for concern, not a
                  fact to be ignored.

                  In Christ,

                  VK

                  In God,

                  VK

                • vkozyreff
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 9, 2002
                    1. I do not say that the Latino Catholics cannot name
                    other "Churches" that are even less traditional than theirs. I just
                    dispute the idea that the Orthodox Church is linked to the Latino
                    Catholics by the fact that they are both traditional. Their
                    relationship with Tradition is precisely what separates them.
                    Protestant grapefruit juice is irrelevant here. As you know, the
                    Latino-Catholics have innovated and are constantly doing so. One of
                    their last innovations is that the sin (and thus the Redemption)
                    should not be at the centre of the faith any longer. Innovation is
                    opposed to tradition. If I innovate, accusing others of innovating
                    even more does not change the fact that I innovate myself.
                    2. The concern of Orthodox believers regarding a possible union
                    with the Latino Catholics is not totally unfounded, as history has
                    shown. Twice, the patriarch of Constantinople has declared union with
                    Rome. The faithful have rersisted against their bishops and have
                    saved orthodoxy. Uniates do exist. The anathema against the Latino
                    Catholics has been abrogated recently by the patriarch of
                    Constantinople. Among our clergy and our believers, many continue to
                    speak about the "reunion of the Church", as though the heretics were
                    still part of the Church. Contrarily to what you seem to imply, I
                    think that the danger is real. You say yourself that you consider the
                    filioque matter as unimportant.
                    3. As you know, many Orthodox have turned themselves to the
                    Latino-Catholics already. Ecumenism is more aggressive than ever and
                    sympathy for it is growing within our ranks. Many orthodox are afraid
                    that tey might remain a minority compared to the Latino Catholics and
                    Orthodox supporters of ecumenism. How can you blame the faithful for
                    being vigilant and concerned?

                    In Christ,

                    VK

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • ajj66046
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 11, 2002
                      Dear Catherine,

                      My wife currently homeschools our five year old daughter and has been
                      starving for some curriculum and project ideas which are consonant
                      with our desire to raise up our children as Orthodox Christians.
                      Please let us know how we might benefit from your experience (either
                      by personal correspondence or in a discussion group setting). We
                      intend to follow a 'Classical Education' model at present adapted
                      from 'The Well-Trained Mind' curriculum, however, it has a pretty
                      protestant/western-european bias which we will adjust when we get
                      into teaching our daughter history.

                      Thank you for your efforts,
                      Anthony Jacobs

                      wrote:
                      > That would be fine- I'll give it one more shot, and if not, we can
                      certainly do
                      > that. It set one up under Orthodox and Education and we'll see
                      what happens!

                      > flicka68@y...
                      >
                      > =====
                      > Catherine
                    • Jean-Claude
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 11, 2002
                        This is my first post on this site. I have been home schooling my son since he was five. He will be entering the seminary in about one or two years. I don't know what state you live in but I am in Ohio and here I must comply with certain subjects buy my choice of texts is pretty good. As far as my Orthodox training or classes. I use a standard text concerning the Orthodox faith. He is currently studying the Stichera (please excuse spelling) and the order of services.

                        Jean-Claude

                        wrote:
                        > That would be fine- I'll give it one more shot, and if not, we can
                        certainly do
                        > that. It set one up under Orthodox and Education and we'll see
                        what happens!

                        > flicka68@y...
                        >
                        > =====
                        > Catherine

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • catherine elaine sullivan
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 12, 2002
                          It is a little confusing to me- isn't it clear to Orthodox that Latino
                          Catholics and others are under the jurisdiction of the Pope and we are not, and
                          never have been? Why would they wish to accept this? It is the same reason I
                          do not believe there will ever be full eccumenism- the Pope is not about to
                          give up his office!

                          =====
                          Catherine

                          http://greetings.yahoo.com
                        • catherine elaine sullivan
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 12, 2002
                            If you go into Yahoo groups (www.yahoogroups.com), I have started a group
                            called Orthodox Education, which should serve the purpose. So far, I am the
                            only member! However, we can spread the work to others, and will have more, I
                            hope. I did se on my piled-up e-mails that someone else inquired also. After
                            you go into Yahoogroups (you have to "join"), let me know further.

                            =====
                            Catherine

                            http://greetings.yahoo.com
                          • Hristofor
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 13, 2002
                              Did a quick search of Orthodox Education and did not find it. Is it the one
                              called OrthodoxClassicalHS?

                              hristofor.

                              At 12:26 PM 2/12/2002, you wrote:
                              >If you go into Yahoo groups (www.yahoogroups.com), I have started a group
                              >called Orthodox Education, which should serve the purpose. So far, I am the
                              >only member! However, we can spread the work to others, and will have more, I
                              >hope. I did se on my piled-up e-mails that someone else inquired also. After
                              >you go into Yahoogroups (you have to "join"), let me know further.
                              >
                              >=====
                              >Catherine

                              >Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!
                              >http://greetings.yahoo.com

                            • ajj66046
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 14, 2002
                                Hristofor,

                                I had the same problem finding it, but you can access the page by
                                typing (or following this link if it works):

                                At present Catherine and I are the only members, but I hope there
                                will be more.

                                Anthony

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 15, 2002
                                  No, it's in Yahoo groups (not the old clubs) under Orthodox Christian
                                  Education, but pops up under "my groups" as Orthoeduc or something like that.

                                  =====
                                  Catherine

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com