Re: [orthodox-synod] St Herman

  • frmichaelc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
      Dear Reader Joseph,

      St. Herman's relics are in the Resurrection Church in Kodiak, one of the
      larger islands on the Aleutian chain. St. Herman lived on Spruce Island,
      very close nearby. There is a village on Spruce Island (Ouzinkie), and the
      priest there, or someone at St. Herman's Seminary on Kodiak, may be of help
      in getting you from Kodiak to the small island. Most people seem to take a
      plane to Kodiak, usually from Anchorage, but I have known of people hitching
      a ride with Aleut crews on fishing boats in Seattle or Vancouver and heading
      up and out that way. I'm not sure how easy (or even possible) the last
      option would be this time of year - but it would sure help increase your
      faith!

      Please pray for our little parish if you get there.

      priest Michael Carney
      St. Herman's Orthodox Mission
      Grand Rapids, MI

    • philosophios
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
        Father Andrew and Father Martyrius of the St. Herman's Brotherhood live on Spruce Island, they are very good monks and live a very rugged life there. Mother Nina and Mother Joanna live on a tiny island off of Spruce island and are also Hermanites. There is a school for boys in Kodiak run by the Hermanites, when I went there 2 years ago I was picked up in Kodiak and the Father's from Spruce Island picked me up in their boat(a 30 minute weather dependent trip) and took me to Spruce Island. The Hermanites are very kind and helpful to pilgrims. If you go with the Hermanites take galoshes or you will have very wet feet. There is float plane service between Kodiak and Ouzinkie(the village on Spruce Island) twice daily. I don't know about charter planes that would get you to the proper side of the island but if you look up Ouzinkie or Kodiak for tourist information you can easily find all that stuff. It is best to travel there somewhere around late april at the earliest for travelable weather. To get to see St. Herman's relics you have to contact the OCA Seminary in Kodiak which is a block from the Holy Trinity Church where St. Herman is:
        Telephone 907-486-3524
        Fax 907-486-5935
        Student Dormitory 907-486-9495
        EMail stherman@...

        When I went I really had to be persistent in order to be allowed to have the church opened for me to see St. Herman and was only allowed in for about 10 minutes.

        The postal address for the Monks on Spruce Island is:
        New Valaam Monastery
        P.O. Box 80
        Ouzinkie, AK 99644

        You could also try the bookstore the Hermanites have in Kodiak:

        MONK'S ROCK BOOKSTORE & CAFE c/o Monks John & Andrew 202 Rezanof Drive P.O.Box 828 Kodiak, AK 99615 (907) 486-0905

        When I went I found that there were flight sales to Anchorage in May and June, and then I purchase a connection to Kodiak.

        If you have any questions email me.

        sinful Philosophios

      • philosophios
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
          I made an error in the post box for this address it is 90 not 80
          The postal address for the Monks on Spruce Island is:
          New Valaam Monastery
          P.O. Box 90
          Ouzinkie, AK 99644

[...]

        • thestapletonfamily
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
            --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "rsjmil" <rsjmil@w...> wrote:
            > If I were to undertake to visit St Herman of Alaska, that would be
            on Spruce Island, would it not? But where is Spruce Island, and how
            does one travel there?

            > Rdr Joseph Miller

            Dear Rdr. Joesph Miller,

            Spruce Island is off the Coast of Kodiak Alaska. Once you get to
            Kodiak you will have to get to Spruce Island by boat of float plane.
            I recently moved from Kodiak Alaska but hopefully I will be able to
            and I can get you some contact information on where to stay, who to
            charter etc...

            A struggling soul
            Ambrose Stapleton
          • frpeterjackson
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
              In this discussion about how to get to St. Herman's relics -- which
              has been very helpful, by the way -- there have been several
              references to the "Hermanites". If I am not mistaken, their canonical
              status has been regularized, so I do not think it is proper to use
              this term to refer to them. The St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood
              itself is now under the Serbian Archdiocese and many of the
              former "Hermanite"/Christ the Savior Brotherhood parishes are now
              under the OCA. So I think "Hermanitism" is thing of the past.

              Fr. Peter Jackson

            • msopts@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
                In a message dated 2/5/02 11:05:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                frpeterjackson@... writes:

                > In this discussion about how to get to St. Herman's relics -- which has been
                > very helpful, by the way -- there have been several references to the
                > "Hermanites". If I am not mistaken, their canonical status has been
                > regularized, so I do not think it is proper to use this term to refer to
                > them. The St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood
                > itself is now under the Serbian Archdiocese and many of the former
                > "Hermanite"/Christ the Savior Brotherhood parishes are now under the OCA.
                > So I think "Hermanitism" is thing of the past.

                Is it? Look up "Valaam Society," the brotherhood's publishing arm, at:

                http://guidestar.org/

                and follow the links to "leaders." You will find a reference to "REV. ABBOT
                HERMAN PODMOSHENSKY, PRESIDENT AND CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD."

                Yet in "The Doors of Repentence," by Hieromonk Jonah Paffhausen,

                http://www.orthodoxnews.com/doodad.fcgi?tcode=98&
                story=features6032001010219.shtml

                it is claimed that: "At the beginning of 2000, with failing health and
                realizing that his personal situation was a large part of the problem, Fr.
                Herman stepped aside from his role of leadership, both of the CSB and as
                abbot of his monasteries. This permitted the various communities to find
                their right places within the existing canonical structures of the Church."

                "Father Herman" was deposed by ROCOR years ago, and supposedly has not been
                even a vagante "abbot" for two years now. But "Rev. Abbot Herman
                Podmoshensky" is still president and chairman of the board of the Valaam
                Society? I think "Hermanitism" is still very much alive and well.

                See also:

                http://www.orthodoxnews.com/doodad.fcgi?tcode=98&
                story=features7072001221745.shtml

                Melanie Jula Sakoda

              • catherine elaine sullivan
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                  John J- Just to clarify- what is a "Hermanite" novice? Is this the
                  non-canonical group- Fellowship of St.Herman, or something like that?

                  =====
                  Catherine

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                • jmjohnstone
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                    Dear Catherine Elaine Sullivan,
                    When I wrote "Hermanite novice", I meant a follower of the defrocked
                    Father Herman of Platina. We learn from other posts that Fr. Herman has been
                    reconciled to the ROCOR and received back by the Synod of Bishops. If which
                    be accurate, then there are no more "Hermanites". Nevertheless,at the time
                    that said novice was thru here -several years ago, she would then have been
                    a "Hermanite".
                    John J.

                  • msopts@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                      jjmxj48@... writes:

                      > We learn from other posts that Fr. Herman has been reconciled to the ROCOR
                      > and received back by the Synod of Bishops.

                      I've subscribed to the Synod list for quite some time, and I don't recall any
                      such posts. I have also searched the archive, and did not find any reference
                      to this reconciliation.

                      I did find a post saying "Fr. Herman is 'retired' and lives as a simple
                      monk...." Synod Message 4226. But this is essentially the same information
                      contained in Hieromonk Jonah's article, "The Doors of Repentence."

                      Can you please supply the URLs or message numbers of the posts to which you
                      refer?

                      Melanie Jula Sakoda

                    • stefanvpavlenko
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                        Such repentance and reconciliation is desired, awaited, hoped for and
                        prayed for; but as of this date has not occurred. His followers by
                        and large have joined various Orthodox Church Authorities, OCA,
                        Serbian, Bulgarian, but Father Herman (as of my last inquiry to those
                        closest to him) has not. He is definitely not attached to the Russian
                        Orthodox Church Abroad.
                        Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/