Re: [orthodox-synod] St Herman

  • tallscapes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
      But his relics are perhaps at the cathedral in Juneau? Peter

      + Sooft ich auch zu Dir um Hilfe rufe, Du hörst mich in Deinem Heiligtum, von
      Deinem Berg her schichst Du mir Antwort. Ganz ruhig kann ich mich schlafen
      legen, weil Du mich beschützt bis ich morgens erwache. +++ Voce mea ad
      Dóminum clamávi, et exaudívit me de monte sancto suo. Ego decúbui et
      obdormívi; exsurréxi. quia Dóminus susténtat me. +++ With my voice I cry
      unto the Lord and from His holy mountain He hears me. I lay me down and
      sleep; in the morning I arise for Thou dost keep me.

    • Sandra Thompson
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
        Out of curiosity I did a search and found it to be in Kodiak , Alaska. Go
        to Yahoo and hit maps, then driving directions . Put your zip in the box
        on the left and 99644 in the box on the right. You will get driving
        directions. Where do you live?
      • frmichaelc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
          Dear Reader Joseph,

          St. Herman's relics are in the Resurrection Church in Kodiak, one of the
          larger islands on the Aleutian chain. St. Herman lived on Spruce Island,
          very close nearby. There is a village on Spruce Island (Ouzinkie), and the
          priest there, or someone at St. Herman's Seminary on Kodiak, may be of help
          in getting you from Kodiak to the small island. Most people seem to take a
          plane to Kodiak, usually from Anchorage, but I have known of people hitching
          a ride with Aleut crews on fishing boats in Seattle or Vancouver and heading
          up and out that way. I'm not sure how easy (or even possible) the last
          option would be this time of year - but it would sure help increase your
          faith!

          Please pray for our little parish if you get there.

          priest Michael Carney
          St. Herman's Orthodox Mission
          Grand Rapids, MI

        • philosophios
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
            Father Andrew and Father Martyrius of the St. Herman's Brotherhood live on Spruce Island, they are very good monks and live a very rugged life there. Mother Nina and Mother Joanna live on a tiny island off of Spruce island and are also Hermanites. There is a school for boys in Kodiak run by the Hermanites, when I went there 2 years ago I was picked up in Kodiak and the Father's from Spruce Island picked me up in their boat(a 30 minute weather dependent trip) and took me to Spruce Island. The Hermanites are very kind and helpful to pilgrims. If you go with the Hermanites take galoshes or you will have very wet feet. There is float plane service between Kodiak and Ouzinkie(the village on Spruce Island) twice daily. I don't know about charter planes that would get you to the proper side of the island but if you look up Ouzinkie or Kodiak for tourist information you can easily find all that stuff. It is best to travel there somewhere around late april at the earliest for travelable weather. To get to see St. Herman's relics you have to contact the OCA Seminary in Kodiak which is a block from the Holy Trinity Church where St. Herman is:
            Telephone 907-486-3524
            Fax 907-486-5935
            Student Dormitory 907-486-9495
            EMail stherman@...

            When I went I really had to be persistent in order to be allowed to have the church opened for me to see St. Herman and was only allowed in for about 10 minutes.

            The postal address for the Monks on Spruce Island is:
            New Valaam Monastery
            P.O. Box 80
            Ouzinkie, AK 99644

            You could also try the bookstore the Hermanites have in Kodiak:

            MONK'S ROCK BOOKSTORE & CAFE c/o Monks John & Andrew 202 Rezanof Drive P.O.Box 828 Kodiak, AK 99615 (907) 486-0905

            When I went I found that there were flight sales to Anchorage in May and June, and then I purchase a connection to Kodiak.

            If you have any questions email me.

            sinful Philosophios

          • philosophios
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
              I made an error in the post box for this address it is 90 not 80
              The postal address for the Monks on Spruce Island is:
              New Valaam Monastery
              P.O. Box 90
              Ouzinkie, AK 99644

[...]

            • thestapletonfamily
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "rsjmil" <rsjmil@w...> wrote:
                > If I were to undertake to visit St Herman of Alaska, that would be
                on Spruce Island, would it not? But where is Spruce Island, and how
                does one travel there?

                > Rdr Joseph Miller

                Dear Rdr. Joesph Miller,

                Spruce Island is off the Coast of Kodiak Alaska. Once you get to
                Kodiak you will have to get to Spruce Island by boat of float plane.
                I recently moved from Kodiak Alaska but hopefully I will be able to
                and I can get you some contact information on where to stay, who to
                charter etc...

                A struggling soul
                Ambrose Stapleton
              • frpeterjackson
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
                  In this discussion about how to get to St. Herman's relics -- which
                  has been very helpful, by the way -- there have been several
                  references to the "Hermanites". If I am not mistaken, their canonical
                  status has been regularized, so I do not think it is proper to use
                  this term to refer to them. The St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood
                  itself is now under the Serbian Archdiocese and many of the
                  former "Hermanite"/Christ the Savior Brotherhood parishes are now
                  under the OCA. So I think "Hermanitism" is thing of the past.

                  Fr. Peter Jackson

                • msopts@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
                    In a message dated 2/5/02 11:05:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                    frpeterjackson@... writes:

                    > In this discussion about how to get to St. Herman's relics -- which has been
                    > very helpful, by the way -- there have been several references to the
                    > "Hermanites". If I am not mistaken, their canonical status has been
                    > regularized, so I do not think it is proper to use this term to refer to
                    > them. The St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood
                    > itself is now under the Serbian Archdiocese and many of the former
                    > "Hermanite"/Christ the Savior Brotherhood parishes are now under the OCA.
                    > So I think "Hermanitism" is thing of the past.

                    Is it? Look up "Valaam Society," the brotherhood's publishing arm, at:

                    http://guidestar.org/

                    and follow the links to "leaders." You will find a reference to "REV. ABBOT
                    HERMAN PODMOSHENSKY, PRESIDENT AND CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD."

                    Yet in "The Doors of Repentence," by Hieromonk Jonah Paffhausen,

                    http://www.orthodoxnews.com/doodad.fcgi?tcode=98&
                    story=features6032001010219.shtml

                    it is claimed that: "At the beginning of 2000, with failing health and
                    realizing that his personal situation was a large part of the problem, Fr.
                    Herman stepped aside from his role of leadership, both of the CSB and as
                    abbot of his monasteries. This permitted the various communities to find
                    their right places within the existing canonical structures of the Church."

                    "Father Herman" was deposed by ROCOR years ago, and supposedly has not been
                    even a vagante "abbot" for two years now. But "Rev. Abbot Herman
                    Podmoshensky" is still president and chairman of the board of the Valaam
                    Society? I think "Hermanitism" is still very much alive and well.

                    See also:

                    http://www.orthodoxnews.com/doodad.fcgi?tcode=98&
                    story=features7072001221745.shtml

                    Melanie Jula Sakoda

                  • catherine elaine sullivan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                      John J- Just to clarify- what is a "Hermanite" novice? Is this the
                      non-canonical group- Fellowship of St.Herman, or something like that?

                      =====
                      Catherine

                      http://greetings.yahoo.com
                    • jmjohnstone
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                        Dear Catherine Elaine Sullivan,
                        When I wrote "Hermanite novice", I meant a follower of the defrocked
                        Father Herman of Platina. We learn from other posts that Fr. Herman has been
                        reconciled to the ROCOR and received back by the Synod of Bishops. If which
                        be accurate, then there are no more "Hermanites". Nevertheless,at the time
                        that said novice was thru here -several years ago, she would then have been
                        a "Hermanite".
                        John J.

                      • msopts@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                          jjmxj48@... writes:

                          > We learn from other posts that Fr. Herman has been reconciled to the ROCOR
                          > and received back by the Synod of Bishops.

                          I've subscribed to the Synod list for quite some time, and I don't recall any
                          such posts. I have also searched the archive, and did not find any reference
                          to this reconciliation.

                          I did find a post saying "Fr. Herman is 'retired' and lives as a simple
                          monk...." Synod Message 4226. But this is essentially the same information
                          contained in Hieromonk Jonah's article, "The Doors of Repentence."

                          Can you please supply the URLs or message numbers of the posts to which you
                          refer?

                          Melanie Jula Sakoda

                        • stefanvpavlenko
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                            Such repentance and reconciliation is desired, awaited, hoped for and
                            prayed for; but as of this date has not occurred. His followers by
                            and large have joined various Orthodox Church Authorities, OCA,
                            Serbian, Bulgarian, but Father Herman (as of my last inquiry to those
                            closest to him) has not. He is definitely not attached to the Russian
                            Orthodox Church Abroad.
                            Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/