St Herman

  • rsjmil
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
      If I were to undertake to visit St Herman of Alaska, that would be on Spruce Island, would it not? But where is Spruce Island, and how does one travel there?

      Rdr Joseph Miller

    • jmjohnstone
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
        Dear Joseph,
        Spruce Island I find is not on our Rand & McNalley Road Atlas. Anyway;, it is a small island near Kodiak Island. Several years ago a Hermanite novice was
        through here. She had been to Spruce Is. and told us this: The weather is very unpredictable, stormy winds and waves come up frequently and may last for several
        days, making boat trips and often also sea-plane trips a bad idea. There are no schedules. You just have to get to Kodiak and line up the last leg (several
        miles of ocean) when you get there. I'm pretty sure that some seasons are better than others. Inasmuch as there are (or at least used to be) O CA and Hermanite
        communities on both Spruce Is. and Kodiak, I would advise touching base with some of them. When you find out solid info, I'd appreciate hearing about it, and
        seeing how good or bad my thoughts above are.

        John J.

      • tallscapes@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
          But his relics are perhaps at the cathedral in Juneau? Peter

          + Sooft ich auch zu Dir um Hilfe rufe, Du hörst mich in Deinem Heiligtum, von
          Deinem Berg her schichst Du mir Antwort. Ganz ruhig kann ich mich schlafen
          legen, weil Du mich beschützt bis ich morgens erwache. +++ Voce mea ad
          Dóminum clamávi, et exaudívit me de monte sancto suo. Ego decúbui et
          obdormívi; exsurréxi. quia Dóminus susténtat me. +++ With my voice I cry
          unto the Lord and from His holy mountain He hears me. I lay me down and
          sleep; in the morning I arise for Thou dost keep me.

        • Sandra Thompson
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
            Out of curiosity I did a search and found it to be in Kodiak , Alaska. Go
            to Yahoo and hit maps, then driving directions . Put your zip in the box
            on the left and 99644 in the box on the right. You will get driving
            directions. Where do you live?
          • frmichaelc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
              Dear Reader Joseph,

              St. Herman's relics are in the Resurrection Church in Kodiak, one of the
              larger islands on the Aleutian chain. St. Herman lived on Spruce Island,
              very close nearby. There is a village on Spruce Island (Ouzinkie), and the
              priest there, or someone at St. Herman's Seminary on Kodiak, may be of help
              in getting you from Kodiak to the small island. Most people seem to take a
              plane to Kodiak, usually from Anchorage, but I have known of people hitching
              a ride with Aleut crews on fishing boats in Seattle or Vancouver and heading
              up and out that way. I'm not sure how easy (or even possible) the last
              option would be this time of year - but it would sure help increase your
              faith!

              Please pray for our little parish if you get there.

              priest Michael Carney
              St. Herman's Orthodox Mission
              Grand Rapids, MI

            • philosophios
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                Father Andrew and Father Martyrius of the St. Herman's Brotherhood live on Spruce Island, they are very good monks and live a very rugged life there. Mother Nina and Mother Joanna live on a tiny island off of Spruce island and are also Hermanites. There is a school for boys in Kodiak run by the Hermanites, when I went there 2 years ago I was picked up in Kodiak and the Father's from Spruce Island picked me up in their boat(a 30 minute weather dependent trip) and took me to Spruce Island. The Hermanites are very kind and helpful to pilgrims. If you go with the Hermanites take galoshes or you will have very wet feet. There is float plane service between Kodiak and Ouzinkie(the village on Spruce Island) twice daily. I don't know about charter planes that would get you to the proper side of the island but if you look up Ouzinkie or Kodiak for tourist information you can easily find all that stuff. It is best to travel there somewhere around late april at the earliest for travelable weather. To get to see St. Herman's relics you have to contact the OCA Seminary in Kodiak which is a block from the Holy Trinity Church where St. Herman is:
                Telephone 907-486-3524
                Fax 907-486-5935
                Student Dormitory 907-486-9495
                EMail stherman@...

                When I went I really had to be persistent in order to be allowed to have the church opened for me to see St. Herman and was only allowed in for about 10 minutes.

                The postal address for the Monks on Spruce Island is:
                New Valaam Monastery
                P.O. Box 80
                Ouzinkie, AK 99644

                You could also try the bookstore the Hermanites have in Kodiak:

                MONK'S ROCK BOOKSTORE & CAFE c/o Monks John & Andrew 202 Rezanof Drive P.O.Box 828 Kodiak, AK 99615 (907) 486-0905

                When I went I found that there were flight sales to Anchorage in May and June, and then I purchase a connection to Kodiak.

                If you have any questions email me.

                sinful Philosophios

              • philosophios
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                  I made an error in the post box for this address it is 90 not 80
                  The postal address for the Monks on Spruce Island is:
                  New Valaam Monastery
                  P.O. Box 90
                  Ouzinkie, AK 99644

[...]

                • thestapletonfamily
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
                    --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "rsjmil" <rsjmil@w...> wrote:
                    > If I were to undertake to visit St Herman of Alaska, that would be
                    on Spruce Island, would it not? But where is Spruce Island, and how
                    does one travel there?

                    > Rdr Joseph Miller

                    Dear Rdr. Joesph Miller,

                    Spruce Island is off the Coast of Kodiak Alaska. Once you get to
                    Kodiak you will have to get to Spruce Island by boat of float plane.
                    I recently moved from Kodiak Alaska but hopefully I will be able to
                    and I can get you some contact information on where to stay, who to
                    charter etc...

                    A struggling soul
                    Ambrose Stapleton
                  • frpeterjackson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
                      In this discussion about how to get to St. Herman's relics -- which
                      has been very helpful, by the way -- there have been several
                      references to the "Hermanites". If I am not mistaken, their canonical
                      status has been regularized, so I do not think it is proper to use
                      this term to refer to them. The St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood
                      itself is now under the Serbian Archdiocese and many of the
                      former "Hermanite"/Christ the Savior Brotherhood parishes are now
                      under the OCA. So I think "Hermanitism" is thing of the past.

                      Fr. Peter Jackson

                    • msopts@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
                        In a message dated 2/5/02 11:05:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                        frpeterjackson@... writes:

                        > In this discussion about how to get to St. Herman's relics -- which has been
                        > very helpful, by the way -- there have been several references to the
                        > "Hermanites". If I am not mistaken, their canonical status has been
                        > regularized, so I do not think it is proper to use this term to refer to
                        > them. The St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood
                        > itself is now under the Serbian Archdiocese and many of the former
                        > "Hermanite"/Christ the Savior Brotherhood parishes are now under the OCA.
                        > So I think "Hermanitism" is thing of the past.

                        Is it? Look up "Valaam Society," the brotherhood's publishing arm, at:

                        http://guidestar.org/

                        and follow the links to "leaders." You will find a reference to "REV. ABBOT
                        HERMAN PODMOSHENSKY, PRESIDENT AND CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD."

                        Yet in "The Doors of Repentence," by Hieromonk Jonah Paffhausen,

                        http://www.orthodoxnews.com/doodad.fcgi?tcode=98&
                        story=features6032001010219.shtml

                        it is claimed that: "At the beginning of 2000, with failing health and
                        realizing that his personal situation was a large part of the problem, Fr.
                        Herman stepped aside from his role of leadership, both of the CSB and as
                        abbot of his monasteries. This permitted the various communities to find
                        their right places within the existing canonical structures of the Church."

                        "Father Herman" was deposed by ROCOR years ago, and supposedly has not been
                        even a vagante "abbot" for two years now. But "Rev. Abbot Herman
                        Podmoshensky" is still president and chairman of the board of the Valaam
                        Society? I think "Hermanitism" is still very much alive and well.

                        See also:

                        http://www.orthodoxnews.com/doodad.fcgi?tcode=98&
                        story=features7072001221745.shtml

                        Melanie Jula Sakoda

                      • catherine elaine sullivan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                          John J- Just to clarify- what is a "Hermanite" novice? Is this the
                          non-canonical group- Fellowship of St.Herman, or something like that?

                          =====
                          Catherine

                          http://greetings.yahoo.com
                        • jmjohnstone
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                            Dear Catherine Elaine Sullivan,
                            When I wrote "Hermanite novice", I meant a follower of the defrocked
                            Father Herman of Platina. We learn from other posts that Fr. Herman has been
                            reconciled to the ROCOR and received back by the Synod of Bishops. If which
                            be accurate, then there are no more "Hermanites". Nevertheless,at the time
                            that said novice was thru here -several years ago, she would then have been
                            a "Hermanite".
                            John J.

                          • msopts@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                              jjmxj48@... writes:

                              > We learn from other posts that Fr. Herman has been reconciled to the ROCOR
                              > and received back by the Synod of Bishops.

                              I've subscribed to the Synod list for quite some time, and I don't recall any
                              such posts. I have also searched the archive, and did not find any reference
                              to this reconciliation.

                              I did find a post saying "Fr. Herman is 'retired' and lives as a simple
                              monk...." Synod Message 4226. But this is essentially the same information
                              contained in Hieromonk Jonah's article, "The Doors of Repentence."

                              Can you please supply the URLs or message numbers of the posts to which you
                              refer?

                              Melanie Jula Sakoda

                            • stefanvpavlenko
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 6, 2002
                                Such repentance and reconciliation is desired, awaited, hoped for and
                                prayed for; but as of this date has not occurred. His followers by
                                and large have joined various Orthodox Church Authorities, OCA,
                                Serbian, Bulgarian, but Father Herman (as of my last inquiry to those
                                closest to him) has not. He is definitely not attached to the Russian
                                Orthodox Church Abroad.
                                Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/