Re: The lowly Rocor website

  • David Moser
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1 7:55 AM
      Yesterday, or was it now two days ago, there began a discussion about the ROCOR
      website. I did not post then, because I didn't really want to share my
      ignorance. However, using two other wonders of modern communication
      technology - the telephone and fax machine - I did talk with those actually
      responsible for the website and information dissemination. As a result, I am no
      longer as ignorant as I was (although I still have a long way to go....). The
      ROCOR is replacing the old website with a completely new one, and we have
      engaged a professional website designer to create and program the new site. It
      is taking some time because it is a monumental task and the level of quality is
      high. This new website will be well organized and will be available fully in at
      least two languages (Russian and English) in its entirety (I don't know about
      Spanish, French, German, etc - because I am too short sighted to have asked the
      question yesterday). Due to the overwhelming nature of this task, the website
      won't go up "piecemeal" but rather the replacement will occur all at once, when
      it is ready.

      It is important to remember that the current website was not an official effort
      of the ROCOR, but rather a monumental individual effort by Fr Seraphim Holland
      who created and maintained the site with little more support than the blessing
      of his diocesan bishop. To Fr Seraphim, we owe a great debt of gratitude for
      the effort that he put forth to create the original ROCOR website.

      So to you all, I suggest patience. Our Synod is aware of the importance of a
      quality website, they are working on creating it and as soon as it is finished,
      it will be put into place.

      Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...
      Boise, Idaho
    • Fr. David Straut
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1 9:42 PM
        Dear Fr David,

        Christ is in our midst!

        Thank you *so* much for doing this research. It gives us hope that things
        will improve soon.

        Fr Seraphim Holland did an excellent job with the ROCOR website in the past,
        but since he was removed from that ministry, the website has fallen on hard
        times indeed. I can't help wishing that Fr Seraphim had been allowed or
        encouraged to remain doing the website until the time that the redisigned
        website was ready to be put up.

        Anyway: Thanks Fr David for your enlightening post. Thanks too to Fr
        Serapim for undertaking for so long the labour of love of the ROCOR website.
        I remain

        Your brother in Christ,

        Priest David Straut
        Orthodox Church of St Elizabeth the New-Martyr
        Somerville, New Jersey USA