Re: [orthodox-synod] The lowly Rocor website

  • catherine elaine sullivan
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
      In fairness, I just must comment that at ONE time, the OCA website had
      virtually nothing in it but a list of parish names (which is easily available
      elsewhere), and the ROCOR one was wonderful! So, I think it just depends on
      WHEN you look as to how good certain websites are. This is a somewhat new
      technology you know, and many clergy I know aren;t really into the
      technological era yet. My priest doesn't know even how to turn on a computer,
      and won't allow a website as he can't build it (and maintain it) himself, and
      doesn't want anyone else to do it either (we might spread heresy or rebellion,
      or something, you know)!

      =====
      Catherine

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • David Moser
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
        Yesterday, or was it now two days ago, there began a discussion about the ROCOR
        website. I did not post then, because I didn't really want to share my
        ignorance. However, using two other wonders of modern communication
        technology - the telephone and fax machine - I did talk with those actually
        responsible for the website and information dissemination. As a result, I am no
        longer as ignorant as I was (although I still have a long way to go....). The
        ROCOR is replacing the old website with a completely new one, and we have
        engaged a professional website designer to create and program the new site. It
        is taking some time because it is a monumental task and the level of quality is
        high. This new website will be well organized and will be available fully in at
        least two languages (Russian and English) in its entirety (I don't know about
        Spanish, French, German, etc - because I am too short sighted to have asked the
        question yesterday). Due to the overwhelming nature of this task, the website
        won't go up "piecemeal" but rather the replacement will occur all at once, when
        it is ready.

        It is important to remember that the current website was not an official effort
        of the ROCOR, but rather a monumental individual effort by Fr Seraphim Holland
        who created and maintained the site with little more support than the blessing
        of his diocesan bishop. To Fr Seraphim, we owe a great debt of gratitude for
        the effort that he put forth to create the original ROCOR website.

        So to you all, I suggest patience. Our Synod is aware of the importance of a
        quality website, they are working on creating it and as soon as it is finished,
        it will be put into place.

        Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...
        Boise, Idaho
      • Fr. David Straut
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
          Dear Fr David,

          Christ is in our midst!

          Thank you *so* much for doing this research. It gives us hope that things
          will improve soon.

          Fr Seraphim Holland did an excellent job with the ROCOR website in the past,
          but since he was removed from that ministry, the website has fallen on hard
          times indeed. I can't help wishing that Fr Seraphim had been allowed or
          encouraged to remain doing the website until the time that the redisigned
          website was ready to be put up.

          Anyway: Thanks Fr David for your enlightening post. Thanks too to Fr
          Serapim for undertaking for so long the labour of love of the ROCOR website.
          I remain

          Your brother in Christ,

          Priest David Straut
          Orthodox Church of St Elizabeth the New-Martyr
          Somerville, New Jersey USA