Re: [orthodox-synod] The lowly Rocor website

  • morechoff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
      In a message dated 1/31/02 12:26:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      antiquariu@... writes:

      Hey, the ROCIE website is under construction. At this point in time it is
      planed out much better than ROCOR. It may not have all the info yet, but I
      am sure it will at some point in time. The point is that it is more
      "clickable" and more visually appealing that the ROCOR webste. Any website
      is a reflection of the individual (or company) and therefore it is important
      that they be presented professionaly. A website is "advertising" and the
      ROCOR website just does not cut it.

      The OCA website is a million times better as is the MP website. It is a
      shame that ROCOR does not invest anything in the website. I am sure there
      are many people including priests that have the skills to design a super
      website. As I said the German ROCOR website is much better than the US
      version and could be used as a base. Someone mentioned that the Australian
      ROCOR website is good as well. There are numerous ROCOR church websites that
      are good as well.

      We should use the ROCOR website to promote Orthodoxy. Promote ROCOR. The
      public relations department of ROCOR is none existant. ROCOR news would be
      nice. Which parishes are doing what and when. Would it not be nice to have
      Services offered through the Internet? Technology is great and should be
      used to promote...

    • catherine elaine sullivan
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
        In fairness, I just must comment that at ONE time, the OCA website had
        virtually nothing in it but a list of parish names (which is easily available
        elsewhere), and the ROCOR one was wonderful! So, I think it just depends on
        WHEN you look as to how good certain websites are. This is a somewhat new
        technology you know, and many clergy I know aren;t really into the
        technological era yet. My priest doesn't know even how to turn on a computer,
        and won't allow a website as he can't build it (and maintain it) himself, and
        doesn't want anyone else to do it either (we might spread heresy or rebellion,
        or something, you know)!

        =====
        Catherine

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • David Moser
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
          Yesterday, or was it now two days ago, there began a discussion about the ROCOR
          website. I did not post then, because I didn't really want to share my
          ignorance. However, using two other wonders of modern communication
          technology - the telephone and fax machine - I did talk with those actually
          responsible for the website and information dissemination. As a result, I am no
          longer as ignorant as I was (although I still have a long way to go....). The
          ROCOR is replacing the old website with a completely new one, and we have
          engaged a professional website designer to create and program the new site. It
          is taking some time because it is a monumental task and the level of quality is
          high. This new website will be well organized and will be available fully in at
          least two languages (Russian and English) in its entirety (I don't know about
          Spanish, French, German, etc - because I am too short sighted to have asked the
          question yesterday). Due to the overwhelming nature of this task, the website
          won't go up "piecemeal" but rather the replacement will occur all at once, when
          it is ready.

          It is important to remember that the current website was not an official effort
          of the ROCOR, but rather a monumental individual effort by Fr Seraphim Holland
          who created and maintained the site with little more support than the blessing
          of his diocesan bishop. To Fr Seraphim, we owe a great debt of gratitude for
          the effort that he put forth to create the original ROCOR website.

          So to you all, I suggest patience. Our Synod is aware of the importance of a
          quality website, they are working on creating it and as soon as it is finished,
          it will be put into place.

          Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...
          Boise, Idaho
        • Fr. David Straut
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
            Dear Fr David,

            Christ is in our midst!

            Thank you *so* much for doing this research. It gives us hope that things
            will improve soon.

            Fr Seraphim Holland did an excellent job with the ROCOR website in the past,
            but since he was removed from that ministry, the website has fallen on hard
            times indeed. I can't help wishing that Fr Seraphim had been allowed or
            encouraged to remain doing the website until the time that the redisigned
            website was ready to be put up.

            Anyway: Thanks Fr David for your enlightening post. Thanks too to Fr
            Serapim for undertaking for so long the labour of love of the ROCOR website.
            I remain

            Your brother in Christ,

            Priest David Straut
            Orthodox Church of St Elizabeth the New-Martyr
            Somerville, New Jersey USA