The lowly Rocor website

  • Orthodox
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2002
      I'm asking....please somebody tell me..

      What is going on with the ROCOR website (rocor.org) ??? The vast
      majority of it is broken links, and information dating back 3 years..

      What is going on... It is a major Church within Orthodoxy.. The
      internet is like a book.. It can be used as a source of information and
      missionary endeavours... This is ridiculous....

      But this cant be allowed to continue, when your main "book" has no
      pages, what use is it? For people who want to know more about the White
      Russian Church or ROCOR, the website is the first place people will
      go...

      There are many people out there who would be willing to help the Rocor
      website and help to "fix" it at a low price.. Patrick Barnes for
      instance, I am sure... Would love to help the Rocor website.. But that's
      just an example....

      So the people on this list, if they would like to help the Rocor
      website, were to donate $10 a piece and pay Patrick Barnes or someone
      else, to fix this lowly, yet VERY important tool.

      A website is the book the 21st century, as they say... (Whomever "they"
      is)

      Am I the only one??

      Please somebody else feel the same way!!

      Any one have any suggestions or ideas... someone should speak with the
      person, (whom I am sure must be very busy), who designed and, or up
      keeps, this website.. I am offering to help monetarily, and I am sure
      there are many others.

      :-)

      Georg

    • NBitrovic@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2002
        In a message dated 1/30/02 8:42:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        orthodox@...
        Georg
        writes:
        > Please somebody else feel the same way!!

        I feel the same way!
        My name is Aleksandra and I'm part of ROCOR for the last 7 years.

      • Theodora Petrovsky
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 30, 2002
          I agree with you 100%. I am glad that someone finally
          brought up the embarassing condition of the ROCOR
          website. I, too, agree that the website has outdated
          information and links. There is no organization or
          order to this website. Links are just scattered all
          over the page, and the fonts are not uniform--it
          basically looks very sloppy.
          The clergy directory is one of the first things that
          needs to be improved. There are clergy on there that
          are no longer in the ROCOR, and also one that is
          deceased (Fr. Kiprian Pishew)! My father has tried
          several times to have his phone number corrected in
          the online directory because the area code is wrong.
          It still has not been corrected.
          Also--and this is just my personal pet peeve--I do not
          like having ads all over when I want to go to one of
          the directories. Whether that was an agreement between
          the webmaster and the Synod, that's fine, but I don't
          appreciate it.
          I'm sure there are numerous people who could improve
          the website. There must be someone out there who would
          do it for free--as a labor of love for the Church. I
          think that it needs to be improved as soon as
          possible. The website,when it was first begun,was very
          nice. I believe it had a nice description of the
          history of the ROCOR, as well as various articles on
          our hierarchs.
          This is just my opinion, so I ask forgiveness if I
          have offended anyone on this list. This is a topic I
          feel very strongly about.
          In Christ,
          Theodora Petrovsky
          St. Vladimir Memorial Church
          Jackson, NJ, USA

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • The Society for Orthodox Truth
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 30, 2002
            George,

            I agree with you 100%... it is a mess.

            But they try.... Whomever is re-designing the website, should make it more
            uniform, like the OCA or the Greeks, and incorporate all the dioceses under
            one website, and all clergy email as well... I know several cheap webhosts
            who offer this.

            Something needs to be done, and soon....

            Oh.. George say hi to Maria for me.... I hope you find your brother, our
            prayers are with you and with him..

            Nectarios

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 30, 2002
              Totally agree. The ROCOR is truly a poor website and should be enhanced. As
              you said I would think someone out there would be more than happy to have the
              opportunity to work on the website. The Russian Orthodox Church in Exile web
              site (<A HREF="http://www.russianorthodoxchurchinexile.com/">http://www.russianorthodoxchurchinexile.com</A>) is shaping up to be
              superior than the ROCOR website. The German ROCOR web site
              (http://www.rocor.de) is also much better organized and visually pleasing the
              US ROCOR. One of better web sites, however, is the OCA website
              (www.oca.org).

            • catherine elaine sullivan
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                Just wondering- is the problem with the ROCOR website that they badly need a
                systems person, or is it that with the current turmoil they feel is is better
                to be unavailable??

                =====
                Catherine

                http://auctions.yahoo.com
              • catherine elaine sullivan
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                  You do know, though, that the RO Church in Exile is a separate group from
                  ROCOR? The former is headed by Met. Vitaly, and later by Met. Laurus. No
                  reflection on either, but surely would have different news and agendas.

                  =====
                  Catherine

                  http://auctions.yahoo.com
                • antiquariu@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                    In a message dated 1/31/2002 7:36:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    morechoff@... writes:

                    > The Russian Orthodox Church in Exile web
                    > site (<A HREF="http://www.russianorthodoxchurchinexile.com/">http://www.russianorthodoxchurchinexile.com/</A>) is shaping up to be

                    Hmmmm.... Checked it out, and yes, the rantings of a senile old man
                    supported by at-best unusually elevated "bishops" endorsing an almost papal
                    set of prerogatives are indeed presented in a more clickable fashion than
                    ROCOR's web site. On the other hand, they say nothing enlightening. And the
                    single largest criticism that the snipers have leveled at Father Seraphim'
                    work, dated nature of the clergy and parish list, applies here as well.
                    There is no parish and clergy list that works. I suspect that it is more a
                    matter of how embarassing it would be to admit to the current status of Pope
                    Vitaly's influence. And then we have the deanery of Bahston and the deanery
                    of Stafford County...

                    Maybe some good will ultimately come out of these tribulations, but for right
                    now , even a pretty web site sounds more like a case of all dressed up with
                    no where to go.

                    In Christ, and praying for the unity of God's church,

                    Vladimir Hindrichs

                  • Priest Seraphim Holland
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                      catherine elaine sullivan said:
                      > Just wondering- is the problem with the ROCOR website that they badly
                      > need a systems person, or is it that with the current turmoil they feel
                      > is is better to be unavailable??

                      If we have nothing to say (except for a few letters hurled out of the
                      silence), all the systems people in the world cannot help.
                    • Robert Kearney
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                        Yes, it would be nice if ROCOR had a fancier web site
                        in order to present herself and Orthodoxy more clearly
                        to the world. The OCA web page is a fine example of
                        what an organized site can accomplish. ROCOR's
                        Australia page also ought to be given mention,
                        especially with the recent improvements and fabolous
                        parish directory. I dont have the link but it can be
                        accest from the present rocor.org site. Another thing
                        that bothers me is that all this mish mash about the
                        schism can be seen as all over the place instead of
                        being an a seperate area for people to access. While I
                        do think that it is important to let people know the
                        truth about what going on, we stll souldnt air out our
                        dirty laundry in front of everybody. People who might
                        go there to learn about our faith could be turned off
                        if the first thing that they see is news like that.
                        I hope that improvements do come eventually, but
                        untile then, we must make do.

                        http://auctions.yahoo.com
                      • Hristofor
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002

                          >The clergy directory is one of the first things that needs to be improved.
                          >There are clergy on there that
                          >are no longer in the ROCOR, and also one that is deceased (Fr. Kiprian
                          >Pishew)!

                          I think that Fr Gregory recently wrote in and said that the ROCOR directory
                          was going to be set up on its own site and that clergy could directly
                          change the database.... I would hazard a guess that any changes in data
                          should be sent directly to him, rather then the Synod webmaster.

                          >Totally agree. The ROCOR is truly a poor website and should be
                          >enhanced. As you said I would think someone out there would be more than
                          >happy to have the opportunity to work on the website. The Russian
                          >Orthodox Church in Exile web site is shaping up to be superior than the
                          >ROCOR website <...>

                          That's probably the only thing good that they may have going for them.

                          As long as we are siting all manner of non-Synodal sites, here are a few of
                          my own favourites (sited for esthetic beauty, ease of use, clarity etc and
                          NOT necessarily because of content):
                          http://www.st-nikolas.orthodoxy.ru/index.html
                          http://www.valaam.karelia.ru/ru/index.htm
                          http://www.lavra.spb.ru/r_ind.html

                          >Just wondering- is the problem with the ROCOR website that they badly need
                          >a systems person, or is it that with the current turmoil they feel is is
                          >better to be unavailable??

                          There is, I belive, a webmaster, but most likely he has numerous other
                          tasks and responsibilities, so new information seems to be placed on the
                          site randomly. I have also thought to say something, however never did,
                          since in often times in ROCOR, the squeaky wheel gets the job!! Seriously,
                          being the webmaster for a large organization is a full-time job and a lot
                          of energy and resources need to be devoted to it.

                          Hristofor

                          PS The list of the ROCIE schismatics submitted by Ioanna does not include
                          the French clergy who also have wandered from the Path...
                        • catherine elaine sullivan
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                            Excuse me, but where do you come off name calling Met. Vitaly? If nothing
                            else, he was the former Metropolitan of ROCOR (duly elected), and therefore
                            worthy of respect, having had no shadow on his reputation, although certainly
                            not all agreed with his positions on certain issues. He is at present a 92
                            year old man who certainly is not in any respect playing "pope." He has simply
                            continued to hold those positions which he held all along, and which he
                            (perhaps erroneously) believed ROCOR held. None of these things entitles
                            anyone to name call. He is still a priest, and therefore due respect on that
                            ground also, even though his positions may differ from yours. Just because you
                            do not AGREE with someone, does not give the right to speak of them in the way
                            you have! The topic was the quality of web sites- how did it turn into
                            something quite vitriolic? Methinks you have an axe to grind about something
                            that has nothing to do with websites!

                            =====
                            Catherine

                            http://auctions.yahoo.com
                          • musqg
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                              --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Priest Seraphim Holland" <seraphim@o...>
                              wrote:
                              > If we have nothing to say (except for a few letters hurled out of
                              the silence), all the systems people in the world cannot help.

                              I'm with Father Serahim on this one.

                              In my own words, I would say if you can't say anything nice about
                              someone's efforts, why are you saying anything?

                              Reader Michael Malloy
                              Columbus Ohio
                            • morechoff@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 31, 2002
                                In a message dated 1/31/02 12:26:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                antiquariu@... writes:

                                Hey, the ROCIE website is under construction. At this point in time it is
                                planed out much better than ROCOR. It may not have all the info yet, but I
                                am sure it will at some point in time. The point is that it is more
                                "clickable" and more visually appealing that the ROCOR webste. Any website
                                is a reflection of the individual (or company) and therefore it is important
                                that they be presented professionaly. A website is "advertising" and the
                                ROCOR website just does not cut it.

                                The OCA website is a million times better as is the MP website. It is a
                                shame that ROCOR does not invest anything in the website. I am sure there
                                are many people including priests that have the skills to design a super
                                website. As I said the German ROCOR website is much better than the US
                                version and could be used as a base. Someone mentioned that the Australian
                                ROCOR website is good as well. There are numerous ROCOR church websites that
                                are good as well.

                                We should use the ROCOR website to promote Orthodoxy. Promote ROCOR. The
                                public relations department of ROCOR is none existant. ROCOR news would be
                                nice. Which parishes are doing what and when. Would it not be nice to have
                                Services offered through the Internet? Technology is great and should be
                                used to promote...

                              • catherine elaine sullivan
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
                                  In fairness, I just must comment that at ONE time, the OCA website had
                                  virtually nothing in it but a list of parish names (which is easily available
                                  elsewhere), and the ROCOR one was wonderful! So, I think it just depends on
                                  WHEN you look as to how good certain websites are. This is a somewhat new
                                  technology you know, and many clergy I know aren;t really into the
                                  technological era yet. My priest doesn't know even how to turn on a computer,
                                  and won't allow a website as he can't build it (and maintain it) himself, and
                                  doesn't want anyone else to do it either (we might spread heresy or rebellion,
                                  or something, you know)!

                                  =====
                                  Catherine

                                  http://auctions.yahoo.com
                                • David Moser
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
                                    Yesterday, or was it now two days ago, there began a discussion about the ROCOR
                                    website. I did not post then, because I didn't really want to share my
                                    ignorance. However, using two other wonders of modern communication
                                    technology - the telephone and fax machine - I did talk with those actually
                                    responsible for the website and information dissemination. As a result, I am no
                                    longer as ignorant as I was (although I still have a long way to go....). The
                                    ROCOR is replacing the old website with a completely new one, and we have
                                    engaged a professional website designer to create and program the new site. It
                                    is taking some time because it is a monumental task and the level of quality is
                                    high. This new website will be well organized and will be available fully in at
                                    least two languages (Russian and English) in its entirety (I don't know about
                                    Spanish, French, German, etc - because I am too short sighted to have asked the
                                    question yesterday). Due to the overwhelming nature of this task, the website
                                    won't go up "piecemeal" but rather the replacement will occur all at once, when
                                    it is ready.

                                    It is important to remember that the current website was not an official effort
                                    of the ROCOR, but rather a monumental individual effort by Fr Seraphim Holland
                                    who created and maintained the site with little more support than the blessing
                                    of his diocesan bishop. To Fr Seraphim, we owe a great debt of gratitude for
                                    the effort that he put forth to create the original ROCOR website.

                                    So to you all, I suggest patience. Our Synod is aware of the importance of a
                                    quality website, they are working on creating it and as soon as it is finished,
                                    it will be put into place.

                                    Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...
                                    Boise, Idaho
                                  • Fr. David Straut
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 1, 2002
                                      Dear Fr David,

                                      Christ is in our midst!

                                      Thank you *so* much for doing this research. It gives us hope that things
                                      will improve soon.

                                      Fr Seraphim Holland did an excellent job with the ROCOR website in the past,
                                      but since he was removed from that ministry, the website has fallen on hard
                                      times indeed. I can't help wishing that Fr Seraphim had been allowed or
                                      encouraged to remain doing the website until the time that the redisigned
                                      website was ready to be put up.

                                      Anyway: Thanks Fr David for your enlightening post. Thanks too to Fr
                                      Serapim for undertaking for so long the labour of love of the ROCOR website.
                                      I remain

                                      Your brother in Christ,

                                      Priest David Straut
                                      Orthodox Church of St Elizabeth the New-Martyr
                                      Somerville, New Jersey USA