Re: [orthodox-synod] Students required to participate in Muslim worship servi...

  • msopts@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2002
      In a message dated 1/20/02 8:12:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      orthodox@... writes:

      > A California school district wants to FORCE seventh-graders to participate
      > in Muslim worship activities ...

      No, that's not true:

      http://www.snopes2.com/religion/islam.htm

      The Byron School District, which is the district alleged to be forcing middle
      school students to participate in Muslim worship activities, is in Contra
      Costa County. I live in that county, and both of my children participated in
      the 7th grade "History of Culture" program. The curriculum has been in place
      for a number of years, although the furor (as far as I can tell) is of recent
      origin. Islam is covered in this course, along with various other belief
      systems, including Christianity, but from a historical perspective.

      I can also report that this "news item" has failed to make any of the three
      local papers that I read. On the other hand, there has been coverage of the
      closure of certain "charter schools" within the California school system.
      These schools violated state guidelines for publicly funded schools in a
      number of ways. Some schools were failing to perform background checks on
      school employees, some were charging tuition, and, in the case of at least
      one remote school in a Muslim community, teaching Islam. This was the real
      McCoy, and was not tolerated, not even by the state of California.

      Melanie Jula Sakoda

    • Sandra Thompson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2002