Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: New Skete, OCA - interesting art work

  • catherine elaine sullivan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2002
      Am I missing something? Surely this is all pretty simple. Either they ARE
      Orthodox (pre-split or modern) saints, or they are NOT, no matter how much we
      may admire Mother Teresa or Dorothy Day. If they are NOT, then these are
      clearly just pictures, and not icons, and should not be given the same status
      in their placement as Orthodox icons. (I have, by the way, recently seen this
      in person.) I think too, it is confusing to some Orthodox and others, who
      would naturally assume by this that they should offer the same reverence to
      these non-Orthodox "icons" as they do to Orthodox saints. But, that is the
      nature of Uniatism- a confusing mix. New Skete, I fear, is only a breath away
      from their Uniate roots. However, they do produce superior hams, dog training
      books, and cheesecakes!

      =====
      Catherine

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!