Re: Travelogue: St. Herman's Conference

  • David Moser
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
      >Sounds like a good conference. Wish we had more such for ADULTS. Maybe for
      >church school teachers and administrators too.

      There are actually plenty of opportunities out there for adults. The Southern
      Missions Conference comes quickly to mind. Also various parishes sponsor small
      scale retreats on a regular basis. My parish has had such a retreat at times
      during Great Lent. And on the West coast there have been usually at least 2
      weekend retreats during the summer months that have been advertised. And for
      the musically minded, there are a variety of options also available - the summer
      choir school at Jordanville, the annual Church Music conference (usually around
      October), and possibly the English choir workshop that has been held in the
      DC/Baltimore area.

      Don't forget your own parish's "adult education" or "Bible study" groups. Most
      clergy I know would be more than happy to have such a thing *IF* anyone would
      come - but usually it starts, goes great guns for 2-4 weeks and then dies. The
      St Herman's conference continues because the kids come - if they didn't, the
      conference wouldn't happen. Putting on a conference like St Herman's or the
      Southern Mission's conference isn't easy - it requires a lot of work and up
      front money (St Herman's costs are actually partially underwritten by a variety
      of chartiable contributions as well to make it possible for kids to come). Also
      the host parish needs to put together a lot of preparation and support work as
      well. So, if your parish is in the Northeast (that is from Ohio to the Coast or
      from DC north) and you want to have this opportunity in your back yard - put
      together a working group, investigate your resources and send a letter to the St
      Herman's Exec. Committee to request having the conference in *your* parish.

      Oh, and btw, this summer there will be at least two spiritual events in the
      Western diocese that I can think of right off. The first will be the 50th
      anniversary of the parish of All Russian Saints in Denver on their patronal
      feast (July 14th - one of the very few times that this feast occurs outside of
      the Apostle's fast). Quite a few clergy and hierarchs have been invited and Fr
      Boris is trying to arrange a series of talks to be given as well. The other
      will be the annual pilgrimage at the All Merciful Savior monastery on Vashon
      Island (Seattle) usually the first part of August (right before the Dormition
      fast begins).

      There now you have some "adult" or "family" options - go for it.

      Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...
      Boise, Idaho
    • catherine elaine sullivan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2002
        Fr. David- Perhaps then the problem is partially one of communication. Since we
        don't have a "newspaper" as such, most of this info. has to come through the
        priest. If he doesn't share it.... Also, I guess I haven't seen anything in
        my general area (central New York). For some of us, it is prohibitive to fly
        to conferences and stay at hotels and such. I Have found that the other
        jurisdictions are not only better about offering things (Christian ed
        workshops, women's retreats, etc.), but also providing low cost or no cost
        housing. While I think many laity have interest, it is really the clergy who
        have to "talk up" and, I think, initiate these things. I have not had much
        luck getting anything going that the priests have little interest in!

        =====
        Catherine

        http://greetings.yahoo.com