Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Why_born_of_a_virgin?/"divorcee bishops"??

  • Joachim Wertz
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2002
      Dear Michael,
      Forgive the long delay in this reply, I was pondering whether to post it for
      a while. Could you give us some biographical information on Bishop James
      (Toombs)? I've read something about him somewhere in the past, and I think I
      have seen his picture somewhere, but I don't recall that much. Also, could
      you please explain what exactly was "the Church Abroad's American mission"
      at that time?
      Thanks,
      Joachim Wertz

      ----------
      From: "mwoerl" <mwoerl@...>
      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Why_born_of_a_virgin?/"divorcee bishops"??
      Date: Thu, Dec 20, 2001, 2:10 AM

      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "polychrony" <UPB_MONIODIS@O...> wrote:

      > Evidently, ROCOR has divorcee bishops!

      One that comes to mind was Bishop Nikolai (Ono) of Japan-he was granted
      a canonical divorce; was subsequently tonsured to monasticism (as was
      his ex-wife) and consecrated a bishop. I am under he impression this
      was the practice in Russia in times past. Another example is Archbishop
      James (Toombs) of the Church Abroad's American Mission, althouh his
      wife did not enter a convent, as she spoke no Russian, and at the time
      (early 1950's) all Church Abroad convents in US were strictly Russian
      speaking. I know of no current 'divorcee bishops' in the Church Abroad.
      Don't they do it that way way in Constantinople?
      Michael Woerl

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • mwoerl
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 3, 2002
        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Joachim Wertz" <wertz@p...> wrote:
        > Dear Michael,
        > Forgive the long delay in this reply, I was pondering whether to post it for
        > a while. Could you give us some biographical information on Bishop James
        > (Toombs)?

        Joachim,
        Arcbishop James (Roy Toombs) was born on a farm in Kansas, and left
        home at about age 16. At some later point, he became interested in
        Roman Catholicism, and his instructor, a Jesuit, told him that his
        temperament would be more suited to Orthodoxy than to Roman Cathoicism
        or Anglicanism. He became involved with some 'American Orthodox' group,
        headed by a Stanislaus deWitow; this group was also involved in
        Rosicrucianism. I believe in the 1940's, the future Archbishop James
        disassociated himself from this group, and began his own
        'jurisdiction.' He realized that his 'group' was totally uncanonical,
        and sought to correct this. He approached a Bishop Christopher (an
        Albanian or from Jeruslaem Patriarchate?? I can check this for you . .
        .), I think-and this Bishop Christopher told him to contact the Russian
        Church in America, as the Russian Church was the first to have
        missions, dioceses, etc., in America. The future Archbishop James first
        contacted the North American Metropolia, who would have absolutely
        nothing to do with him. He then contacted the Church Abroad, and
        Archbishop Vitaly (Maximenko, +1960) became his mentor. He was received
        into the Church Abroad with his parishes (one in N.Y.C., one in
        Chicago) and on the Feast of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul in 1950
        or 1951 was consecrated to the episcopate at the Kursk Icon Hermitage
        in Mahopac. N.Y., by Metropolitan Anastassy and other hierarchs of the
        Church Abroad. The 'American Mission' of the Church Abroad basically
        consisted of Archbishop James' parishes. He was allowed a great deal of
        autonomy, and contact with the rest of the Church Abroad, while
        cordial, was not frequent. Around 1954, I think, the Adair brothers,
        clergy of the American mission, sued Archbishop James for his church in
        N.Y.C., and won; he served in a chapel in his apartment after that,
        until his death in 1970. Archbishop James can be seen in the video of
        the 50th anniversary of the seminary at Jordanville-he is the only
        clean-shaven hierarch in the video. After this, things get a little
        murky. I think the official line is that he was 'retired' by the Synod-
        but I have no date for this retirement. Other sources who knew
        Archbishop James claim he was given a canonical release from the Church
        Abroad. After he left, his relations with Metropolitan Anastassy and
        the hierarchs who had supported him were always cordial. Some people
        claim he was a Mason, and remained married, which is why he was
        'retired,' but, again, this cannot be verified officially. Others who
        knew Archbishop James claim that some hierarchs of the Church Abroad
        were not exactly pleased to have an American as a hierarch of the
        Church Abroad, and did not support Archbishop James or his Mission.
        After leaving the Church Abroad, he again headed his own independent
        group. This group, the Orthodox American Church, carries on to this day
        in N.Y.C. under Bishop John Schneider. I was also told by people who
        knew Archbishop James, but did not follow him after he left the Church
        Abroad, that he was sincere, and a good man.
        I hope this is of some help-I am working from memory, and don't have
        any information with me, so some of the dates may be a little off! If
        you need any more information, let me know, and I'll see what I have. I
        know I have information about his consecration in an issue of
        Tserkovnaya Zhizn.
        Also interesting is the fact that one of the first Slavonic and
        English Hierarchical Liturgies in the Church Abroad was celebrated by
        Metroplitan Anastassy and Archbishop James in Chicago in 1951!
        With Love in Christ,
        Michael Woerl
      • Joachim Wertz
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 8, 2002
          Thank you, Michael, for the information you provided. Good enough for the
          moment!
          In Christ,
          Joachim

          From: "mwoerl" <mwoerl@...>