Re: Meaning of "Lord" in Creed

  • stefanvpavlenko
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7 9:41 AM
      Lord God (Russian -Gospod')- Greek Kirios

      Lord (R-Gospodin)- G- Kir

      Double check on all my comments, I got a "C" in Greek!!!

      --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Priest Seraphim Holland" <seraphim@o...>
      wrote:
      > I am creating materials about the Symbol of faith for my
      catechumens ( in
      > my spare time, not), and am covering the articles of the creed
      dealing
      > with Jesus Christ. I create questions and answers and discusss them
      when we
      > get together Saturday. I want to discuss the word "Lord".
      >
      > Here is one question:
      >
      > <QUESTION>
      > I believe:
      > 2. ... in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the only begotten,
      > begotten of the Father before all ages ...
      >
      > What does the name "Jesus Christ" mean, and how do the meanings of
      each
      > name indicate a dogma concerning Him?
      >
      > <ANSWER>
      > "Jesus" is the Greek form of the Hebrew name Joshua, "Saviour".
      > "Christ" means anointed and is the Greek translation of the Hebrew
      word
      > rendered "Messiah".
      >
      > Only God can save mankind from sin and death,
      hence, "Jesus", "Saviour"
      > denotes both Jesus' mission and His Divinity.
      >
      > IN ancient times before Christ, the prophets, high priests, and
      kings were
      > anointed with oils upon the assumption of their office, in order to
      receive
      > the necessary gifts of the Holy Spirit for their calling. Our
      Saviors is
      > also called "Christ", "Anointed" to declare his human physical
      nature,
      > which had the fulness of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
      >
      > The name "Jesus Christ", therefore, proclaims the dual nature of
      Our Lord.

    • hermitage@infoave.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7 9:18 PM
        Dear Fr Seraphim,

        The word in the creed in greek is Kurion (Kurios).

        This appears to be mostly linked to Yehovah in the OT. The hebrew word is
        Yehovah (Strongs 03068) and seems exclusive to the Godhead. However, it is
        allied to "kurie" in LXX, which in hebrew is Adonai (Strongs 0136) and not
        being a scholar, I cannot fully ascertain the exclusivness of this term, it
        is related to Str 0113 (adone) which is not exclusive to that use.

        These verses might be examples of difficulty in claiming invariable links
        between the greek and hebrew:

        Genesis 18:12 LXX has kurios in that verse. Corresponding to Hebrew Str 0113
        adone.

        And in Numbers 10:36, the LXX has kurie, and the Hebrew Str 03068, Yehovah.

        No doubt there are other examples of crossovers, and I don't have time to go
        through the hundreds of citings my program pulled up. Strangely enough, it
        appears that the english AV might prove the most consistent word-wise in
        this instance (strange considering its penchant for "elegant variations"
        elsewhere) since its translators were careful to make distinctions (whether
        by cap letters, or by translating 03068 or 0136 as Lord GOD) based on
        context.-(btw my bible program claims 03068 as exclusive to God and I can
        find no exceptions in the hebrew---the problem arises with the greek) It is
        probably safe to assume notwithstanding the possible inconsistencies between
        the Greek and Hebrew word associations, that readers in times past could
        also easily make the distinctions by context.

        So, in short, you may encounter some difficulty discoursing on the
        *linguistic* associations in an invariable and absolute sense, and might
        need to approach it from another angle. Again, keep in mind I am no expert
        in this matter and my comments are largely a shot in the dark based on a
        very cursory reading of topical information.

        In Christ,
        John, monk