Meaning of "Lord" in Creed

  • Priest Seraphim Holland
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2001
      I am creating materials about the Symbol of faith for my catechumens ( in
      my spare time, not), and am covering the articles of the creed dealing
      with Jesus Christ. I create questions and answers and discusss them when we
      get together Saturday. I want to discuss the word "Lord".

      Here is one question:

      <QUESTION>
      I believe:
      2. ... in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the only begotten,
      begotten of the Father before all ages ...

      What does the name "Jesus Christ" mean, and how do the meanings of each
      name indicate a dogma concerning Him?

      <ANSWER>
      "Jesus" is the Greek form of the Hebrew name Joshua, "Saviour".
      "Christ" means anointed and is the Greek translation of the Hebrew word
      rendered "Messiah".

      Only God can save mankind from sin and death, hence, "Jesus", "Saviour"
      denotes both Jesus' mission and His Divinity.

      IN ancient times before Christ, the prophets, high priests, and kings were
      anointed with oils upon the assumption of their office, in order to receive
      the necessary gifts of the Holy Spirit for their calling. Our Saviors is
      also called "Christ", "Anointed" to declare his human physical nature,
      which had the fulness of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

      The name "Jesus Christ", therefore, proclaims the dual nature of Our Lord.
      He is both God and man.

      "For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;" (Col
      1:19)

      In line with the above question, in another question, I wanted to
      tie "Lord" to the OT prophesies, if indeed "Lord" in the creed can only
      refer to God. In English usage, of course, "Lord" may also be used in a
      sense that does not refer to God.

      What is the Grrek for "Lord" in the creed, and is this a word that can be
      tied to the OT in a sense that only refers to God?
    • stefanvpavlenko
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2001
        Lord God (Russian -Gospod')- Greek Kirios

        Lord (R-Gospodin)- G- Kir

        Double check on all my comments, I got a "C" in Greek!!!

        --- In orthodox-synod@y..., "Priest Seraphim Holland" <seraphim@o...>

      • hermitage@infoave.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2001
          Dear Fr Seraphim,

          The word in the creed in greek is Kurion (Kurios).

          This appears to be mostly linked to Yehovah in the OT. The hebrew word is
          Yehovah (Strongs 03068) and seems exclusive to the Godhead. However, it is
          allied to "kurie" in LXX, which in hebrew is Adonai (Strongs 0136) and not
          being a scholar, I cannot fully ascertain the exclusivness of this term, it
          is related to Str 0113 (adone) which is not exclusive to that use.

          These verses might be examples of difficulty in claiming invariable links
          between the greek and hebrew:

          Genesis 18:12 LXX has kurios in that verse. Corresponding to Hebrew Str 0113
          adone.

          And in Numbers 10:36, the LXX has kurie, and the Hebrew Str 03068, Yehovah.

          No doubt there are other examples of crossovers, and I don't have time to go
          through the hundreds of citings my program pulled up. Strangely enough, it
          appears that the english AV might prove the most consistent word-wise in
          this instance (strange considering its penchant for "elegant variations"
          elsewhere) since its translators were careful to make distinctions (whether
          by cap letters, or by translating 03068 or 0136 as Lord GOD) based on
          context.-(btw my bible program claims 03068 as exclusive to God and I can
          find no exceptions in the hebrew---the problem arises with the greek) It is
          probably safe to assume notwithstanding the possible inconsistencies between
          the Greek and Hebrew word associations, that readers in times past could
          also easily make the distinctions by context.

          So, in short, you may encounter some difficulty discoursing on the
          *linguistic* associations in an invariable and absolute sense, and might
          need to approach it from another angle. Again, keep in mind I am no expert
          in this matter and my comments are largely a shot in the dark based on a
          very cursory reading of topical information.

          In Christ,
          John, monk