Re: [orthodox-synod] practices in Holy Russia before 1917

  • Valentina Grigorieva
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
      1/Rimsky Korsakov opera "Snegourochka" (snow maiden)
      witnesses of the existence of this tradition (an old
      fairy tale actually) in pre revolutionary Russia.
      2/According to my mum who was born in Russia in 1916
      (my dad also was born in Russia, in 1897) the kids
      were given gifts for Christmas.
      3/Gifts given for Santa Claus is a typical north
      European (German, dutch, North/West of France)habit.
      Santa Claus distributes gifts (usually sweets) to
      "good" children on his day, beg. of december.
      4/ Of course Ded Moroz (Grand Father Frost) also
      "existed" in Russia beg of 20th century, by the kids
      were very afraid of him!
      5/During the soviets, only remained the "folk
      traditions", not linked to any Christian ones, and
      usually to old ones dating back to paganism. But there
      were not many gifts to be given...
      Valentina from France.
      ps : i am quite suprised by the questions. Answers can
      be easily found in many books and sources.

      --- Kiril Bart <kirbart@...> a écrit : >
      Actually I wouldn't tell that this is an old Russian
      > tradition, the christmas tree and all the characters
      > has been popularized in Russia just in early 20th
      > Century.
      > Subdeacon Kirill
      >
      > --- Petteri ja Paula Genis <pgenis@...> wrote:
      > > This is a rather old custom. It was much revived
      > > during the Soviet regime. It ascends to the
      > > pre-Christian Russia.
      > >

      > > Peter Genis
      > > The Russian Finn. The Finnish Russian.
      > > Suomalainen Venalainen. Venalainen Suomalinen.

      Nokia 5510 Drole de look et quel son.
      Cliquez sur http://fr.promotions.yahoo.com/nokia/
      découvrez le et tentez votre chance pour en gagner un!
      Fin de concours le 16 décembre.