Re: [orthodox-synod] practices in Holy Russia before 1917

  • Kiril Bart
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2001
      Actually I wouldn't tell that this is an old Russian
      tradition, the christmas tree and all the characters
      has been popularized in Russia just in early 20th
      Century.
      Subdeacon Kirill

      --- Petteri ja Paula Genis <pgenis@...> wrote:
      > This is a rather old custom. It was much revived
      > during the Soviet regime. It ascends to the
      > pre-Christian Russia.
      >

      > Peter Genis
      > The Russian Finn. The Finnish Russian.
      > Suomalainen Venalainen. Venalainen Suomalinen.

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
    • Valentina Grigorieva
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
        1/Rimsky Korsakov opera "Snegourochka" (snow maiden)
        witnesses of the existence of this tradition (an old
        fairy tale actually) in pre revolutionary Russia.
        2/According to my mum who was born in Russia in 1916
        (my dad also was born in Russia, in 1897) the kids
        were given gifts for Christmas.
        3/Gifts given for Santa Claus is a typical north
        European (German, dutch, North/West of France)habit.
        Santa Claus distributes gifts (usually sweets) to
        "good" children on his day, beg. of december.
        4/ Of course Ded Moroz (Grand Father Frost) also
        "existed" in Russia beg of 20th century, by the kids
        were very afraid of him!
        5/During the soviets, only remained the "folk
        traditions", not linked to any Christian ones, and
        usually to old ones dating back to paganism. But there
        were not many gifts to be given...
        Valentina from France.
        ps : i am quite suprised by the questions. Answers can
        be easily found in many books and sources.

        --- Kiril Bart <kirbart@...> a écrit : >
        Actually I wouldn't tell that this is an old Russian
        > tradition, the christmas tree and all the characters
        > has been popularized in Russia just in early 20th
        > Century.
        > Subdeacon Kirill
        >
        > --- Petteri ja Paula Genis <pgenis@...> wrote:
        > > This is a rather old custom. It was much revived
        > > during the Soviet regime. It ascends to the
        > > pre-Christian Russia.
        > >

        > > Peter Genis
        > > The Russian Finn. The Finnish Russian.
        > > Suomalainen Venalainen. Venalainen Suomalinen.

        Nokia 5510 Drole de look et quel son.
        Cliquez sur http://fr.promotions.yahoo.com/nokia/
        découvrez le et tentez votre chance pour en gagner un!
        Fin de concours le 16 décembre.