Re: Check for Virus!!

  • Petteri ja Paula Genis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2001
      Dear list members,

      Apparently some of us have their computers infected with the latest version of
      a new virus (it has a long name, which is not saved in my memory).

      It apparently copies all your computer typing in a special file and sends it to some "underground" computer for "research". It also sends itself out using MODIFIED return addresses from your address books. It adds "_" before the address, so when you reply to it, it will bounce back to you as undeliverable, for instance it will use _joedoe@ if you have joedoe@ in your address book.

      You need to be extremely careful while opening (or previewing message in any MS product especially, as most of these viruses exploit the "holes" in MS software) your email.

      Save any attachments and scan with your favourite anti-viral programme with _the latest signature update_ before you open them. Back up your files, if your computer is infected it may be the only option to reformat its hard disk!

      Most of people never know that their computers are infected until we tell them, but I think that shouting in their face that they are cyber-terrorists is too much emotional reaction for such a problem.

      Peter Genis
      The Russian Finn. The Finnish Russian.
      Suomalainen Venalainen. Venalainen Suomalinen.