practices in Holy Russia before 1917

  • sandra@geckonet.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2001
      Is the invention of Grandfather Frost and Snow Maiden one of Soviet
      Russia, or did the people have this custom before the revolution?
    • Petteri ja Paula Genis
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2001
        This is a rather old custom. It was much revived during the Soviet regime. It ascends to the pre-Christian Russia.

        Peter Genis
        The Russian Finn. The Finnish Russian.
        Suomalainen Venalainen. Venalainen Suomalinen.
        Is the invention of Grandfather Frost and Snow Maiden one of Soviet
        Russia, or did the people have this custom before the revolution?

      • catherine elaine sullivan
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2001
          From reading old folk tales years ago, I have the idea that the stories came
          from there. Certainly the attempt to replace the Nativity with something
          (anything) else was courtesy of the Soviets.

          =====
          Catherine

          http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
        • Kiril Bart
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2001
            Actually I wouldn't tell that this is an old Russian
            tradition, the christmas tree and all the characters
            has been popularized in Russia just in early 20th
            Century.
            Subdeacon Kirill

            --- Petteri ja Paula Genis <pgenis@...> wrote:
            > This is a rather old custom. It was much revived
            > during the Soviet regime. It ascends to the
            > pre-Christian Russia.
            >

            > Peter Genis
            > The Russian Finn. The Finnish Russian.
            > Suomalainen Venalainen. Venalainen Suomalinen.

          • Valentina Grigorieva
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
              1/Rimsky Korsakov opera "Snegourochka" (snow maiden)
              witnesses of the existence of this tradition (an old
              fairy tale actually) in pre revolutionary Russia.
              2/According to my mum who was born in Russia in 1916
              (my dad also was born in Russia, in 1897) the kids
              were given gifts for Christmas.
              3/Gifts given for Santa Claus is a typical north
              European (German, dutch, North/West of France)habit.
              Santa Claus distributes gifts (usually sweets) to
              "good" children on his day, beg. of december.
              4/ Of course Ded Moroz (Grand Father Frost) also
              "existed" in Russia beg of 20th century, by the kids
              were very afraid of him!
              5/During the soviets, only remained the "folk
              traditions", not linked to any Christian ones, and
              usually to old ones dating back to paganism. But there
              were not many gifts to be given...
              Valentina from France.
              ps : i am quite suprised by the questions. Answers can
              be easily found in many books and sources.

              --- Kiril Bart <kirbart@...> a écrit : >
              Actually I wouldn't tell that this is an old Russian
              > tradition, the christmas tree and all the characters
              > has been popularized in Russia just in early 20th
              > Century.
              > Subdeacon Kirill
              >
              > --- Petteri ja Paula Genis <pgenis@...> wrote:
              > > This is a rather old custom. It was much revived
              > > during the Soviet regime. It ascends to the
              > > pre-Christian Russia.
              > >

              > > Peter Genis
              > > The Russian Finn. The Finnish Russian.
              > > Suomalainen Venalainen. Venalainen Suomalinen.

              Nokia 5510 Drole de look et quel son.
              Cliquez sur http://fr.promotions.yahoo.com/nokia/
              découvrez le et tentez votre chance pour en gagner un!
              Fin de concours le 16 décembre.