RE: [orthodox-synod] Russian Practice

  • Elias Gorsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2001
      No, only among non-orthodox Russians

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Sandra Thompson
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 24, 2001
        Thanks for a quick response.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 24, 2001
          Thanks for your quick response.

        • eledkovsky@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2001
            --- In orthodox-synod@y..., sandra@g... wrote:
            > Is it the practice among Russian Orthodox to give their children
            > gifts on New Year rather than Nativity?

            That's a SOVIET UNION 'custom' ... and not limited to children.
            Adults often exchange gifts, and they're supposed to ne inexpensive
            but clever. According to my husband, born and bred in the USSR.

            For we Orthodox, the presents (and all the good food and drink) come
            after the feast is celebrated in church, which is on January 7th
            according to civil calendars... At least, that's how it is supposed
            to be...
          • V. J. Boitchenko
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2001
              As far as I know, the pre-rovolutionary custom was to make gifts on the feast of St. Nicholas. And it was not Ded Moroz but St. Nicholas. How quickly we forget customs!

              I think that the Soviet custom developedunder the influence of the secular ideology, but one should also keep in mind the change in the secular calendar from Julian to Gregorian. Under the secular calendar Chistmas follows the New Year making it rather confusing.

              > Is it the practice among Russian Orthodox to give their children
              > gifts on New Year rather than Nativity?

              That's a SOVIET UNION 'custom' ... and not limited to children.
              Adults often exchange gifts, and they're supposed to ne inexpensive
              but clever. According to my husband, born and bred in the USSR.

              For we Orthodox, the presents (and all the good food and drink) come
              after the feast is celebrated in church, which is on January 7th
              according to civil calendars... At least, that's how it is supposed
              to be...

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • lieuwen@research.bell-labs.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2001
                The Dutch also give gifts on St. Nicholas Day.
              • eledkovsky@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 27, 2001
                  as do the Germans. They still make a big deal about it, even in the
                  secular, Protestant north. My health club here in Berlin has posters
                  all over inviting members to bring their kids on December 6,
                  because "der Nikolaus kommt!" (Nicholas is coming...)

                  That's in addition to Weichnachtsmann (Christmas man), who looks like
                  Santa, and is made of chocolate...