Statement by Fr. Paul Iwaszewicz

  • Father Jeremiah Loch
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2001
      Fr. Paul contacted me late this evening and requested that the following statement be posted for both clergy and laity.

      Fr. Jeremiah

      STATEMENT BY FR. PAUL IWASZEWICZ
      November 23, 2001

      I was sent to Holy Transfiguration Skete, in
      Mansonville, by the Synod of Bishops to speak on
      their behalf to Metropolitan Vitaly. I was to
      take care of him if he happened to agree to
      travel to New York where he would meet with
      Metropolitan Laurus in order to heal the schism
      within our church. The Synod commanded only Fr.
      Alexander Iwaszewicz (who ultimately had not
      arrived by November 22nd) and myself to travel
      for this purpose. By his own initiative, as he
      was not instructed to, Bishop Michael met me at
      the airport and drove me to the skete.

      On the way to Mansonville we were joined by, what
      turned out to be private police officers hired by
      Bishop Michael's lawyers. Upon arrival at the skete, they physically forced Metropolitan Vitaly into the limousine
      against his will. What the hired police officers
      did is outrageous and not justifiable. Soon,
      Metropolitan Vitaly's lawyer was contacted and
      then by the order of the judge, Vladyka Vitaly
      was permitted to stay at the monastery.

      While waiting to hear from the lawyers I sat with
      Metropolitan Vitaly in the limousine for several
      hours and he displayed no mistrust in me.

      Unpredictably and quite sorrowfully, I witnessed
      acts by Bishop Michael that were not sanctioned
      by the Synod. This is why he is relieved from
      the administration of the Canadian Diocese and sent to reside at HolyTrinity Monastery in Jordanville until the matter would be resolved by a spiritual court.

      On a personal note, I would like those who are
      making hostile phone calls not to lower
      themselves to the level of those who violently
      assaulted Metropolitan Vitaly, and to understand
      that Vladyka Vitaly himself would not approve of
      such behaviors on his behalf.

      Asking for your holy prayers,

      Reverend Paul Iwaszewicz